Conversion

by Katherine Howe

When girls start experiencing strange tics and other mysterious symptoms at Colleen's high school, her small town of Danvers, Massachusetts, falls victim to rumors that lead to full-blown panic, and only Colleen connects their fate to the ill-fated Salem Village, where another group of girls suffered from a similarly bizarre epidemic three centuries ago.… (more)
    The Fever by Megan Abbott (legxleg)
    legxleg: Both books are inspired by the news story of high school girls coming down with a mysterious illness.
    Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although Prep is realistic fiction written for adults and Conversion is a YA mashup of suspense and historical fiction, both books detail the complex social interactions of elite Northeastern prep schools with intense, sometimes gut-wrenching, precision.… (more)
    The Minister's Daughter by Julie Hearn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Mass hysteria spreads alongside accusations of witchcraft in these novels about teen girls who find power in unconventional behavior. Conversion perceives reflections of colonial New England in a contemporary private school while The Minister's Daughter takes place in the 17th century.… (more)

A mystery illness has struck the quiet halls of St Joan's Private School for Girls that has everyone in Danvers, Massachusetts on edge. With so many girls being afflicted with so many different, bizarre symptoms everyone is racing to try and discover what is causing the illness. Colleen is among the young students of St Joans, but has not been affected by the illness...yet. As she races against time to try and help solve the mystery of the illness, she may just discover another mystery hundreds of years old...one that Danvers would like to forget.
This was a great book that was woven with the tale of the Salem Witch trials to provide a historical perspective and tie to the City of Danvers...with a guest appearance by the Dane family! Another great read from Ms. Howe! ( )
  chrirob | May 22, 2021 |
Previously having read and enjoyed two of Katherine Howe’s other books (The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and The Penguin Book of Witches), I had high expectations for Conversion. Unfortunately, it did not deliver.

It started out well enough, as I meandered through alternating chapters set in Danvers, Massachusetts, in 2012, and Salem Village In 1706. I can see where Howe was going with the story, showing that in both instances teenage girls under pressure can be susceptible to Conversion Disorder. I liked the focus on Ann Putnam Jr.’s confession. I was less a fan of how Howe wrapped up both stories. Endings are important to a story, and when they arrive too abruptly or in a less than satisfying manner, they can drag a book down. Because of all of the above, I give the book 3 stars. It’s worth reading, but it isn’t a five-star effort. ( )
  LoriFox | Oct 24, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this dual-narrative read that was inspired by the Le Roy, New York mystery illness of 2012 outbreak.
The fascinating juxtaposition of the modern outbreak and the 1692 Salem witch trials makes you wonder if what really happened in Salem may have been an outbreak of Conversion Disorder. ( )
  ShannonRose4 | Sep 15, 2020 |
I wished the stories would have connected in the end. I agree with some reviewers that the characters were a little flat and that the heroine was a bit unlikeable. However, it was compulsively readable, which was pretty impressive for a book about the Salem Witch Trials (for me, at least- I hate historical fiction). I learned a lot by reading this book, and for me, that is worth a lot. I don't think that the heroine was really supposed to be that likable, anyhow- she represents the pressure and competitiveness of elite schools and what they do to girls. I'm not sure that anyone would be too likable in that situation. Overall, I thought it was a pretty cool take on both premises. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
Great idea, not great execution - it felt like I was jumping between two separate books ( )
  GinEyre22 | Apr 17, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,630,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible