The Life of Samuel Johnson, LL.D. (1791)

by James Boswell

This complete and unabridged edition is the only complete critical edition in paperback. Samuel Johnson was a poet, essayist, dramatist, and pioneering lexicographer, but his continuing reputation depends less on his literary output than on the fortunate accident of finding an idealbiographer in James Boswell. As Johnson's constant and admiring companion, Boswell was able to record not only the outward events of his life, but also the humour, wit, and sturdy common sense of his conversation. His brilliant portrait of a major literary figure of the eighteenth century,enriched by historical and social detail, remains a monument to the art of biography.… (more)

English (34)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (37)
The stages of reading Boswell's Johnson thus far:
1) Believing Johnson was a genius.
2) Knowing Johnson was an idiot.
3) Shipping Johnson and Boswell.

The moment Boswell meets Johnson is electric.

I'm having so much fun with this one, Johnson is quite often extremely relatable: "I always feel an inclination to do nothing" (p. 268). Going to take a nice break before tackling volume 2. ( )
  jakebornheimer | May 12, 2021 |
A nice little abridged version from the 50s suitable for traveling in both its time and ours. ( )
  JayLivernois | Aug 25, 2020 |

Ross, GordonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shewan, RodneyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tinker, Chauncey B.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Womersley, DavidEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To write the Life of him who excelled all mankind in writing the lives of others, and who, whether we consider his extraordinary endowments, or his various works, has been equalled by few in any age, is an arduous, and may be reckoned in me a presumptuous task.
After we came out of the church, we stood talking for some time together of Bishop Berkeley's ingenious sophistry to prove the nonexistence of matter, and that every thing in the universe is merely ideal. I observed, that though we are satisfied his doctrine is not true, it is impossible to refute it. I never shall forget the alacrity with which Johnson answered, striking his foot with mighty force against a large stone, till he rebounded from it -- "I refute it THUS."
Please do not combine this work with its abridged editions, e.g., the Modern Library edition or some Penguin Classics editions.

Legacy Library: James Boswell

James Boswell has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Boswell's legacy profile.

See James Boswell's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,679,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible