Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World…

Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II's Most Audacious General (2014)

by Bill O'Reilly

Other authors: Martin Dugard, Gene Thorp (Map Designer)

Series: Killing (4)

It is ironic and entirely appropriate that I am reviewing this fine book on Veterans Day. The book is a thorough telling of General George S. Patton who led the 3rd Army to victory over Hitler’s forces during WWII. Hitler with his agenda to rule Europe, and perhaps beyond, had devised his last and final attempt to gain back the momentum to win the war for Germany (but really for his devious purposes). Covering the decisive battles including the Battle of the Bulge which turned the tide to Allied victory in Europe, the book discusses Patton’s incalculable contributions to that victory. The book is a great read that gives understanding to historic events including the major players in the war in Europe such as FDR, Stalin and Churchill. For those of us who appreciate great men who have love of country and honor, Killing Patton will not disappoint. What does disappoint is the treatment and lack of respect for his great patriotism and efforts. Forces both foreign and domestic, saw his blunt, no nonsense approach, and predictions (including warnings about Stalin and Russia) as a threat and planned (plotted) to “get rid of him” in a variety of ways, including assassination.

Marsha Y. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Patton's last days, exploring the mystery of Patton's death. ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 9, 2017 |
I want to give this book five stars because I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. However, I was disappointed that by the end of the book, about ten pages in total were dedicated to the circumstances surrounding Patton's death. While it was an intelligent and addicting book about WWII, it was not a book about General Patton.

Although it contained some relevant information about Patton's contributions to the American efforts in the war (a large portion of the book was about the Battle of the Bulge and subsequent events involving Patton), the book was simply filled with (in my opinon) too much extraneous information. I felt the authors spent far too much time focusing on extramarital affairs of various world leaders that were entirely irrelevant to Patton's death.

Despite these grievances, I highly recommend you read for yourself. I learned more about WWII than I ever did in my years of history education. Entirely deserving of four stars. ( )
  craftytombombadil | Dec 22, 2016 |
This book should be on everyone's 'to-read' list. At times I was smiling, at times I was crying. A very quick read although at times I had to put it down to just contemplate what I had just read. Highly recommend. ( )
  LisaDillmanWright | Oct 14, 2016 |
As told by O'Reilly and Dugard, it is hard not to conclude George Patton was murdered by person or persons unknown. This, of course, is not a new conclusion having been mentioned many times before. I can remember reading a book about the General sometime in the 50's that was not as pronounced as O'Reilly's but left the reader with little else in the way of an explanation. That he was murdered is most probably true; the why is less clear. O'Reilly and Dugard present many plausible reasons but offers very little in the way of facts to support any theory.
Be that as it may, O'Reilly and Dugard have crafted a delightful book with fact data interspersed with much bridging material. As usual with O'Reilly's books, there are a lot of juicy tidbits. History is revealed in reactive and proactive way. ( )
  DeaconBernie | Sep 26, 2016 |

Bill O'Reillyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dugard, Martinsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thorp, GeneMap Designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have; or ever will have. We're not just going to shoot the sons-of-bitches, we're going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.
—GEN. GEORGE S. PATTON Jr., June 5, 1944
To my father, William O'Reilly,
who served his country as a naval officer in World War II,
and to my grandfather John O'Reilly'
who served in World War I
The man with forty-five minutes to live cannot defend himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080509668X, Hardcover)

Readers around the world have thrilled to Killing Lincoln, Killing Kennedy, and Killing Jesus—riveting works of nonfiction that journey into the heart of the most famous murders in history. Now from Bill O’Reilly, anchor of The O’Reilly Factor, comes the most epic book of all in this multimillion-selling series: Killing Patton.

General George S. Patton, Jr. died under mysterious circumstances in the months following the end of World War II. For almost seventy years, there has been suspicion that his death was not an accident—and may very well have been an act of assassination. Killing Patton takes readers inside the final year of the war and recounts the events surrounding Patton’s tragic demise, naming names of the many powerful individuals who wanted him silenced.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:27 -0400)

Killing Patton takes readers inside the final year of the war and recounts the events surrounding Patton's tragic demise, naming names of the many powerful individuals who wanted him silenced.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,544,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible