The Treasure by Uri Shulevitz

The Treasure (1978)

by Uri Shulevitz

Captain Jiri and Rabbi Jacob by Marilyn Hirsh (raizel)
    raizel: Marilyn Hirsh adds ditsy guardian angels as well as friendship and cooperation between the Jewish man and the guard (and among their followers) to the story that Uri Shulevitz tells more concisely.
    The pedlar of Swaffham by Kevin Crossley-Holland (raizel)
    raizel: A man travels far to find the treasure in his own home; he uses some of it for his local house of worship.

Reasonable good telling of the old folk tale about priorities and values. ( )
  librisissimo | Nov 28, 2018 |
Hmm. I have mixed feelings. If the message is in the moral, as stated, Sometimes one must travel fa to discover what is near," I think it would have been more effective to tell us a story of a greedy man who travels to find material wealth and comes home to find love and contentment. The emphasis on material treasure puts me off. But then again, maybe I'm missing something. The Jewish lesson plans I found online imply that the treasure is not material (even though Isaac subsequently built a house of prayer and sent a ruby to the Captain). Looking further, I see texts that use a simplified version of this story to metaphorically illustrate the proverb. The implication is that we're supposed to totally ignore the literal interpretation. Well, that seems a lot to expect from the target audience, to me. What do you think? I wish I could remember better the other version I read of this: I recall feeling less negative about it. I do like the illustrations, a lot. And I've liked several other books by Uri Shulevitz too." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The man in this story goes on an adventure looking for a treasure and runs into problems. This is a well illistrated book that teaches children that traveling a distance to discover what is near. ( )
  Ahusk | Mar 8, 2016 |
46 months - An enjoyable folktale. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Good start book for early readers. Illustrations are very well done. Story of a man in search of a treasure from a dream he has and his journey takes across countryside. There is moral to story and requires some dialogue but definitely provides opportunities for discussion in class setting. Predictions, foreshadowing......what could be the treasure? Do we all have one? Do you we have to look for it. are some great questions to bring up. ( )
  Adrian.Gaytan | Feb 6, 2015 |
To Gertrude Hopkins, and to Peter Hopkins, who taught me the techniques of the Old Masters
There once was a man and his name was Isaac.

Three times a voice comes to Isaac in his dreams and tells him to go to the capital city and look for a treasure under the bridge by the royal palace. Feeling a little foolish perhaps, but determined to see for himself if the dream is true, Isaac sets out on his long journey. What he finds makes a surprising and heart-warming ending to this retelling of a well-known folk tale. In a few words, Cadelcott Medal winner Uri Shulevitz draws a man who is innocent enough to have faith in a dream, and wise enough to understand the greatest reward of all.

Isaac's solitary journey, his arrival at hte vast city, and his discovery there are all enriched by Mr. Shulevitz's beautifully detailed illustrations, which masterfully capture the spirit of the original tale while keeping it simple enough for the very youngest reader.

The Treasure is a 1980 Caldecott Honor Book and a 1979 New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:20 -0400)

A retelling of the traditional English tale in which a poor man follows the advice of his dream and is eventually led to a treasure.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,799,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible