Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Between the World and Me

by Ta-Nehisi Coates

3,3522062,329 (4.37)335

English (201)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (205)
I was really looking forward to reading Between the World and Me, so when it finally came in at the library I was surprised at how small it was. I think the book has interesting points and experiences shared, I just didn't like how Coates wrote about them. It felt like a storm of thoughts that kept repeating and circling around the same things without ever making a point. Apparently this is how he writes and many people like it, it just wasn't for me. The book is still good and worth reading especially since it is so short. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
No reason to rehash the importance of this series of letters Coates wrote to his son about his life growing up black. Should be required reading of all Americans. ( )
  brangwinn | Sep 27, 2018 |
This is brutal, of course, but it has to be. By talking about racism in America as black bodies being taken away and controlled by others, it hits you in a very immanent place. It reminded me of something someone once said to me after being miserable in high school: "why are you so obsessed with that? You know, popular kids aren't really thinking that much about you!" and realizing, *oh*. It adds acid to the injury, that the misery inflicted, the deaths inflicted by racism isn't that important. This evil that takes away the body, the Dream and the Dreamers' casual acts of cruelty, are, to the inflicter, something that is so minor to their character they shouldn't have to even look at it.

Think about that. That is what the existence of "whiteness" does. It means those who identify as white feel defensive about something they don't think of as part of their character when it's shown as complicity in a terrible system. This is why racism can't "just" be put aside for common goals. No one who's aware of class struggle (for example) doesn't want higher wages or universal health care etcetera, but they don't end the indignity to the black body. Not even a little bit. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
A beautiful, eloquent letter to his son. A black man to his 15 year old son.
I am not black, not a black father, or a black mother, so I am thankful to writers who share a glimpse of what it is like to be Black in America. ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
incredible and damning ( )
  adaorhell | Aug 24, 2018 |
Between the World and Me is, in important ways, a book written toward white Americans, and I say this as one them. White Americans may need to read this book more urgently and carefully than anyone, and their own sons and daughters need to read it as well. This is not to say this is a book about white people, but rather that it is a terrible mistake for anyone to assume that this is just a book about nonwhite people. In the broadest terms Between the World and Me is about the cautious, tortured, but finally optimistic belief that something beyond these categories persists. Implicit in this book’s existence is a conviction that people are fundamentally reachable, perhaps not all of them but enough, that recognition and empathy are within grasp, that words and language are capable of changing people, even if—especially if—those words are not ones people prefer to hear.
added by elenchus | editslate.com, Jack Hamilton (Jul 9, 2015)

In the scant space of barely 160 pages, Atlantic national correspondent Coates (The Beautiful Struggle) has composed an immense, multifaceted work. This is a poet's book, revealing the sensibility of a writer to whom words—exact words—matter....It's also a journalist's book, not only because it speaks so forcefully to issues of grave interest today, but because of its close attention to fact...As a meditation on race in America, haunted by the bodies of black men, women, and children, Coates's compelling, indeed stunning, work is rare in its power to make you want to slow down and read every word. This is a book that will be hailed as a classic of our time.
added by theaelizabet | editPublishers Weekly

Ta-Nehisi Coatesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cornets de Groot, Rutger H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cunningham, CarolineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GregCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And one morning while in the woods I stumbled suddenly upon the thing,

Stumbled upon it in a grassy clearing guarded by scaly oaks and elms

And the sooty details of the scene rose, thrusting themselves between the world and me...

—Richard Wright
For David and Kenyatta,

who believed
Son,

Last Sunday the host of a popular news show asked me what it meant to lose my body.

"For Ta-Nehisi Coates, history has always been personal. At every stage of his life, he's sought in his explorations of history answers to the mysteries that surrounded him -- most urgently, why he, and other black people he knew, seemed to live in fear. What were they afraid of? In Tremble for My Country, Coates takes readers along on his journey through America's history of race and its contemporary resonances through a series of awakenings -- moments when he discovered some new truth about our long, tangled history of race, whether through his myth-busting professors at Howard University, a trip to a Civil War battlefield with a rogue historian, a journey to Chicago's South Side to visit aging survivors of 20th century America's 'long war on black people,' or a visit with the mother of a beloved friend who was shot down by the police. In his trademark style -- a mix of lyrical personal narrative, reimagined history, essayistic argument, and reportage -- Coates provides readers a thrillingly illuminating new framework for understanding race: its history, our contemporary dilemma, and where we go from here"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,629,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible