The Prince and the Dressmaker

by Jen Wang

Paris, at the dawn of the modern age: Prince Sebastian is looking for a bride--or rather, his parents are looking for one for him. Sebastian is too busy hiding his secret life from everyone. At night he puts on daring dresses and takes Paris by storm as the fabulous Lady Crystallia--the hottest fashion icon in the world capital of fashion! Sebastian's secret weapon (and best friend) is the brilliant dressmaker Frances--one of only two people who know the truth: sometimes this boy wears dresses. But Frances dreams of greatness, and being someone's secret weapon means being a secret. Forever. How long can Frances defer her dreams to protect a friend?… (more)

English (101)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (104)
This was such a cute story.
Sebastian is a prince that likes to wear dresses and when he sees Frances' work he finally finds an opportunity to do so in his own terms with designs that he loves. The problem is that no one else can know so he goes out as Lady Crystallia, who becomes sort of a fashion icon, and as her popularity grows the troubles of keeping such a secret start to emerge.
I really liked the simple style of this comic. There weren't many backgrounds, but it fit the cute colorful style and the character driven story. The main characters are so sweet that I immediately liked them and the bond between them is adorable.
It doesn't go too deep into the topics addressed, but it's good enough for younger audiences and adults can enjoy it too. The resolution was quick and easy, but that didn't bothered me much.
This reminded me of the manga "Princess Jellyfish" by Akiko Higashimura so I feel like if you enjoyed one of the works you will probably like the other.
  elderlingfae | Aug 11, 2022 |
By day, Sebastian is a prince, working to take over the crown by studying, entertaining, and learning politics. By night, Sebastian becomes Lady Chrystalia, and wears the most fashion forward gowns made by Frances. She hopes to break away from toiling in the tailor shop and make a name for herself and her dress making talents. The two work together, keeping each other's secrets and forming a strong friendship. But is it enough to withstand the pressures that society puts on both of them?

What I Loved:

Two people who are figuring out where their place is in the world, and how they can express who they want to be. I love how the book doesn't necessarily give labels to their relationship status nor Sebastian's gender identity. They are young in this story and gives them a chance to figure it out and to be okay with the ambiguity that comes with it.

What I Missed:

I wish it was a bit longer, with more details of the sewing process as a form of art, rather than just the result. I will admit that is a personal bias as someone who likes to sew. ( )
  ms.isnotameany | Jul 27, 2022 |
For this to be the first book I've read in 2020 its a promising start!! This book was one of the cutest and most endearing stories ever. ( )
  Oblivionsdream | Jul 18, 2022 |
So cute ( )
  Susz13 | Jul 18, 2022 |
AMAZING! Why did I wait so long to read this?!? ( )
  awesomejen2 | Jun 21, 2022 |

Wang, Jenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arnold, AndrewCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bottaini, SaraLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Esposito, TaylorDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marietti, CaterinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,686,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible