The Poetics of Space (1957)

by Gaston Bachelard

Thirty years since its first publication in English, French philosopher Gaston Bachelard's The Poetics of Space one of the most appealing and lyrical explorations of home. Bachelard takes us on a journey, from cellar to attic, to show how our perceptions of houses and other shelters shape our thoughts, memories, and dreams.… (more)

Finally done with this bad boy! A challenging but ultimately rewarding read. Bachelard’s idea about a phenomenology of the imagination, one that tries to examine images with a primal, immemorial source, is utterly mesmerising and fertile (though I do believe poetry/art consists of more than that which Bachelard values most in this book). A lot of it went over my head - it’s super dense - definitely down for a re-read. I don’t think I’ll look at poetry (or elements of reality) in the same way again. ( )
1 vote yuef3i | Sep 19, 2021 |
I am my own hiding place. Pg.88.

The primitiveness of refuge. the animal movements of withdrawal. Pg 91

Formed.un.in | Jul 25, 2020 |
Very well done and thoroughly intriguing. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
I bought this at the James Castle House in Boise, Idaho, inasmuch as Deleuze and hourglasses were both mentioned (and I bought an hourglass, too). A fabulous, sustained reverie for the poet in us all.
  kencf0618 | Mar 19, 2019 |
This and the other Bachelard translations inspired my best work (poetry) in a series that took me through in excess of 700 poems.

I think his ability to thoughtfully examine space, from a perspective that that is contemplative rather than analytical s a wonderful variant.

Works well for me, at the least. ( )
  Frank_Prem | Feb 22, 2019 |

Gaston Bachelardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jolas, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stilgoe, John R.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A philosopher who has evolved his entire thinking from the fundamental themes of the philosophy of science, and followed the main line of the active, growing rationalism of contemporary science as closely as he could, must forget his learning and break with all his habits of philosophical research, if he wants to study the problems posed by the poetic imagination.

Beacon Press

An edition of this book was published by Beacon Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,283,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible