The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money (1936)

by John Maynard Keynes

In 1936 Keynes published the most provocative book written by any economist of his generation. The General Theory, as it is known to all economists, cut through all the Gordian Knots of pre-Keynesian discussion of the trade cycle and propounded a new approach to the determination of the level of economic activity, the problems of employment and unemployment and the causes of inflation. Arguments about the book continued until his death in 1946 and still continue today. Despite all that has been written in the subsequent years, Keynes and his book still represent the turning point between the old economics and the new from which each generation of economists needs to take its inspiration.… (more)
    John Maynard Keynes by Hyman P. Minsky (Jestak)
    The New Industrial State by John Kenneth Galbraith (caflores)
    Macroeconomics: Theories and Policies by Richard T. Froyen (thcson)
    thcson: Froyen's textbook discusses classical macroeconomic models and the transition to keynesian theory in some detail. It's very helpful for understanding The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money.

English (10)  Spanish (1)  All languages (11)
Terrible slog. Science of economy is verging on astrology - a lot of theories but no testable predictions. So many equations yet not a single predictive one. I don't know what's worse, machine learning with its predictive power but no explanation or elaborate explanations with no predictive power. ( )
  Paul_S | Dec 23, 2020 |
While I never agreed with a number of tenants in what was a groundbreaking work in economics, I've gradually come to appreciate much of it much more over time. Certainly recommended for any student of economics, policy, business, theory, etc. ( )
  scottcholstad | Jan 10, 2020 |
Perhaps the most classic text on Economic theory of all time, certainly Keynes most important work. A must have on one's science library. ( )
  atufft | Jul 8, 2019 |
I liked this book quite a bit, but it is not without flaws. While the book is dense and rather boring to read, I can forgive this since Keynes was writing for his fellow economists. The jargon and symbols that are used obfuscate the idea he is trying to get across especially if you merely read for fun and no other purpose. The other reason I picked up this book is that of its reputation. There are few people that can say they flipped an entire subject of inquiry on its head.

Going into this book, I knew a bit of the history involved in it and the era that produced it. This book did not really bring any of those times into light, especially since he uses a British Currency. I have no point by which I can compare, though I suppose that if I searched hard enough for old prices I could compare the currencies. Now that I'm typing out the idea though, it just seems like it would be way too much work. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
Absolutely everyone needs to read this book, particularly chapters 25 and 26 and his remarks on Silvio Gesell [b:The Natural Economic Order|10213829|The Natural Economic Order|Silvio Gesell|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/book/50x75-a91bf249278a81aabab721ef782c4a74.png|15113351] vs. Marx [b:Capital, Vol 1: A Critical Analysis of Capitalist Production|325785|Capital, Vol 1 A Critical Analysis of Capitalist Production|Karl Marx|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348385812s/325785.jpg|345846].
ShiraDest,
5 nov.12015 HE ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
Like many economic classics, the General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money, published in early 1936, is an ill-organized, repetitious, and quarrelsome book. Save for occasional bravura passages on Egyptian pyramids, medieval masses for the dead, and the behavior of stock market speculators, the graceful English stylist of the Economic Consequences of the Peace and the Essays in Biography is little in evidence.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,238,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible