Foundation's Triumph by David Brin

English (9)  French (1)  All (10)
I am a fan of most of David Brin's books but guess this trilogy too deep/profound for me or something -- not a good story. Too much philosophy and not enough story (or even a good job carrying the what-if theme of everything in Asimov's original vision). Take away name of title, places and characters and I would never have suspected this had anything to do with Foundation novels. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
And so begins the final quest of Hari Seldon, creator of the science of Psychohistory, as he escapes from exile for a last look at the star-flung Empire whose fate he has plotted with such care, and as he now sees, such futility. Foundation's Triumph, Seldon is about to risk everything for knowledgeand the power it bestows. Effectively imprisoned on the all-steel planet Trantor, Seldon knows that his Second Foundation

...

Escaping in the company of a bureaucrat, a pirate and a beautiful stowaway, Seldon roams the galaxy by star shunt, a wormhole link, and later, by private spaceship, searching for the answer to what he thinks is the last remaining mystery. But instead he finds a tangle of ambition, doubt, and treachery. Lodovik Trema, no longer bound by the Three Laws, is gathering rebellious robots in an Empire-wide conspiracy. And Daneel Olivaw, who has devoted twenty thousand years to humankind, now has a new master.

The Secret Foundation itself is at risk. Are The Fifty with their awesome mentalic powers enough to assure humankind's future? Or will the Second Foundation succeed the first only to fall to the powers of chaos that have bedeviledand beguiledHari Seldon from the beginning?

Foundation's Triumph is a fitting climax to the most ambitious and successful science fictional enterprise of the century's endan undertaking which Asimov himselflike Hari Seldonset in motion and would surely approve. ( )
  Tutter | Feb 23, 2015 |
This is the final book in the Foundation trilogy filling in the bits of Hari Seldon's life undocumented by Asimov himself. Like the earlier books in the series, it takes a deeper look at the background consipracies that had kept the Empire stable for 12 millennia and even attempts to look at possible explanations for the great metal Cities of Earth and the mysongenist Spacer worlds. Brin references work throughout Asimov's Foundation and Empire series whether or not they were particularly relevant but it has been interesting to see them as I'm sure I didn't catch them when I first read the book :-) ( )
  JohnFair | Jul 11, 2014 |
This book is pretty good. I'd say its the best of the three Second Foundation Trilogy books in fact. Unfortunately, you need to read the other two in order for this one to make any sense, which is a shame because the first one sucked, and the second one was ok.

A lot of loose ends get cleaned up in this book. Why did Earth get abandoned? Why did everyone forget their history? Why is Trantor built much like the cities in the Naked Sun? Why are there all those habitable worlds for the galactic empire to reside on? It seems odd that there would be 25 million habitable worlds out there. There are other examples as well, but I wont bore you with them all.

Another good bit of this book is the time line of all Asimov Foundation stories at the back of the book. I am sure it would have been useful to know about that earlier.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/David_Brin/Foundations_Triumph.html ( )
3 vote mikal | Nov 15, 2008 |
This "second conclusion" was anti-climactic for me. The writing itself is great and nicely consistent with Asimov's style. However, I found the whole peace vs. free will thing a bit predictable and hence overly attended across three hundred pages. The characterization is nice, especially Dors and Trema. The afterward includes a timeline of all the works - tight, yet with plenty of unexplored topics and space as fodder for future works. ( )
  jpsnow | Apr 5, 2008 |

David Brinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Targete,JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Isaac Asimov,
who added an entire course to our endless
dinner-table conversation about destiny
As for me ... I am finished."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061056391, Mass Market Paperback)

Isaac Asimov's 1951-53 Foundation trilogy is a rough-hewn classic of far future SF, honored with a unique 1965 Hugo for Best All-Time Series. It begins with "psychohistorian" Hari Seldon mapping the best possible course for humanity's next millennium, after the fall of the doomed Galactic Empire. Late in life Asimov revisited the series and awkwardly linked it with his popular robot stories--introducing vast conspiracy theories to explain the Empire's total lack of visible robots.

Asimov's estate authorized three SF notables to fill out Seldon's life in the Second Foundation Trilogy, which David Brin here wraps up after Gregory Benford's Foundation's Fear and Greg Bear's Foundation and Chaos. Chaos is the new keyword, because chaos theory seemingly makes nonsense of psychohistorical prediction. Whole planetary populations can lapse into chaotic rebellion despite secret mind-controlling agencies behind the scenes. So Seldon makes his last interstellar journey, harried, lectured, and even kidnapped by the warring factions of robots and not-quite-robots that have long manipulated humanity. The robots' dilemma:

"We are loyal, and yet far more competent than our masters. For their own sake, we have kept them ignorant, because we know too well what destructive paths they follow, whenever they grow too aware."

Brin does his best with Asimov's overcrowded legacy, skillfully steering Seldon to an insight about the much-foretold future that satisfies both the old man and the reader, with a spark of human free will and constructive chaos shining through the grayness of predestination. Asimov would have approved. --David Langford, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:03 -0400)

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,497,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible