A Way in the World (1994)

by V. S. Naipaul

Naipaul offers a personal choice of examples of Spanish and British imperial history in the Caribbean, including an imagined vision of Raleigh's last expedition and an introduction to Francisco de Miranda, a would-be liberator and precursor to Bol?ar.

English (2)  German (1)  All languages (3)
I am not sure what I am reading, is it fact or fiction? The line is very blurred. Naipaul seems to take great enjoyment in weaving fact into fiction but to the reader (or at least to me), it is confusing, and after a while, I find myself what is the point of the book? ( )
  siok | Aug 16, 2020 |
Partly autobiographical novel, with the inclusion of a couple of unwritten (or rather never before published stories). It gives us an insight in living in Trinidad and South America. The unwritten stories also seem to be based upon facts, so it has more the feel of a non-fiction book than a regular fiction novel. Probably not something I would have picked up myself, but as it won a major prize, I thought it needed checking out. ( )
  kabouter | Aug 20, 2010 |
And year by year
our memory fades
From all the circle of the hills.

Till from the garden and the wild
A fresh association blow,
And year by year the landscape grow
Familiar to the stranger's child.
I left home more than forty years ago.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,716,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible