On Trails: An Exploration by Robert Moor

On Trails: An Exploration (2016)

by Robert Moor

Robert Moor hiked the entire length of the Appalachian Trail one summer, which began a long study (exploration) of human and animal trails. ( )
  waltser1 | Mar 12, 2018 |
Really appreciated how Moor includes the trails of ants, insects, wildlife, indigenous people, and current populations in his examination of modern trails and networks. I'd heard quiet rumblings about plants to greatly extend the Appalachian Trail from my fellow hikers, but I didn't realize the concept had progressed this far so those portions were particularly informative too. ( )
  dele2451 | Dec 14, 2017 |
Recently there seems to be a spate of ‘back to nature’ books on the market. Non-fiction looks at how being in nature benefits us, or the mere existence of nature preserves improves communities and similar things. As a nature girl and an outdoorswoman, I appreciate this kind of thing and had my eye on this book for a while. I thought it would be a bit less philosophical in bent than it turned out to be, and I bogged down in those parts, but for the most part it scratched the itch about why trails are so fascinating and irresistible.

The narrative hinges on the author’s through-hike on the Appalachian Trail. From this he branches onto side trails about paths made by bacteria, insects, animals and finally humans. One of the things that fascinated me was how people (and animals) will find the shortest, most efficient way to get from A to B by instinct alone. In many parks, paved paths exist, but people inevitably find shortcuts across “forbidden” areas no matter what things the parks departments might put in their way. Same with nature trails; designers often find themselves thwarted by hikers taking shortcuts. I try not to do this myself because I understand that most trails are designed to keep erosion to a minimum and switchbacks and the ways they cut through the terrain are optimized to preserve the area being passed through; not to get there fastest.

Another thing that intrigued me was how clueless the European settlers were about how the Indian population moved around. You often hear North America described as a “trackless wilderness” when nothing was further from the truth. They just couldn’t see the tracks because they weren’t roads and often went in directions that didn’t makes sense for wheeled vehicles or large animals. But the people here went on foot and had different routes that served different purposes; whether that being the destination or the reason for the trip. Wonderful that some of those ancient trails are preserved still, even if they are part of the national highway system.

Moor’s writing is engaging and thoughtful. He makes some really unusual and appropriate word choices throughout -

“I awoke to a glassine dawn.” p 45

“The mule driver blew onto his hands, his curly hair collecting little nerds of ice.” p 283

“We can travel at the speed of sound and transmit information at the speed of light, but deep human connection still cannot move faster than the (comparatively, lichenous) rate at which trust can grow.” p 293

And while I have no desire to do any overnight or long distance hiking, I appreciated the wisdom of this -

“Shaving one’s pack weight, he said, was a process of sloughing off one’s fears. Each object a person carries represents a particular fear; of injury, of discomfort, of boredom, of attack. The “last vestige” of fear that even the most minimalist hikers have trouble shedding, he said, was starvation. As a result, most people ended up carrying “way the hell too much food”. He did not even carry so much as an emergency candy bar.” p 325 (imparted in a conversation with Meredith J. Eberhard aka Nimblewill Nomad) ( )
  Bookmarque | Aug 3, 2017 |
Unabridged audiobook:
Reader mispronounces Appalachian. Pacing has sentences in bursts, intra-sentence pauses are too long for my taste. Picks oddly affected voices when speaking quotes from other people.
  rakerman | Oct 23, 2016 |
This is a book of philosophy exploring the meaning of trails. Why do they exist? Who creates then and maintains them? How do the people walking them impact the trails and how are they impacted by walking the trails. After reading this, you will never walk a trail in quite the same way.

The book begins by looking at how animals create trails and then explores how Indians in the Eastern USA created their trails and maintained their forests. A large part of the book (too much of the book) seems devoted to the Appalachian Trail and the people who walk it all the way. Although it includes a discussion of efforts to extend that trail to Europe, the book is admittedly over-focused on the Eastern USA. Since I was reading this book while walking the Via Claudia Augusta roman highway over the Alps, I missed a discussion of European trails. ( )
  M_Clark | Sep 7, 2016 |

In 2009, while thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail, Robert Moor began to wonder about the paths that lie beneath our feat: How do they form? Why do some improve over time while other fade? What makes us follow or strike off on our own? Over the course of the next seven years, Moor traveled the globe exploring trails of all kinds, from the miniscule to the massive. He learned the tricks of master trail-builders, hunted down long-lost Cherokee trails, and traced the origins of our road networks and the Internet. In each chapter, Moor interweaves his adventures with findings from science, history, philosophy, and nature writing - combining the nomadic joys of Peter Matthiessen with the eclectic wisdom of Lewis Hyde's The Gift.

Throughout, Moor reveals how this single topic - the oft-overlooked trail - sheds new light on a wealth of age-old questions. How does order emerge out of chaos? How did animals first crawl forth from the seas and spread across the continent? How has humanity's relationship with nature and technology shaped the world around us? And, ultimately, how does each of us pick a path through life?

With a breathtaking arc that spans from the dawn of animal life to the digital era, On Trails, is a book that makes us see our world, our history, our species, and our ways of life anew.

"From a brilliant new literary voice comes a groundbreaking exploration of how trails help us understand the world--from tiny ant trails to hiking paths that span continents, from interstate highways to the Internet. In 2009, while thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail, Robert Moor began to wonder about the paths that lie beneath our feet: How do they form? Why do some improve over time while others devolve? What makes us follow or strike off on our own? Over the course of the next seven years, Moor traveled the globe, exploring trails of all kinds, from the miniscule to the massive. He learned the tricks of master trail-builders, hunted down long-lost Cherokee trails, and traced the origins of our road networks and the Internet. In each chapter, Moor interweaves his adventures with findings from science, history, philosophy, and nature writing--combining the nomadic joys of Peter Matthiessen with the eclectic wisdom of Lewis Hyde's The Gift. Throughout, Moor reveals how this single topic--the oft-overlooked trail--sheds new light on a wealth of age-old questions: How does order emerge out of chaos? How did animals first crawl forth from the seas and spread across continents? How has humanity's relationship with nature and technology shaped world around us? And, ultimately, how does each of us pick a path through life? Moor has the essayist's gift for making new connections, the adventurer's love for paths untaken, and the philosopher's knack for asking big questions. With a breathtaking arc that spans from the dawn of animal life to the digital era, On Trails is a book that makes us see our world, our history, our species, and our ways of life anew"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,840,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible