The Fisherman (2016)

by John Langan

Fiction. Horror. Literature. HTML:

In upstate New York, in the woods around Woodstock, Dutchman's Creek flows out of the Ashokan Reservoir. Steep-banked, fast-moving, it offers the promise of fine fishing, and of something more, a possibility too fantastic to be true. When Abe and Dan, two widowers who have found solace in each other's company and a shared passion for fishing, hear rumors of the Creek, and what might be found there, the remedy to both their losses, they dismiss it as just another fish story. Soon, though, the men find themselves drawn into a tale as deep and old as the Reservoir. It's a tale of dark pacts, of long-buried secrets, and of a mysterious figure known as Der Fisher: the Fisherman. It will bring Abe and Dan face to face with all that they have lost, and with the price they must pay to regain it.

.… (more)
    The Night Ocean by Paul La Farge (sturlington)
    HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt (sturlington)
    Revival by Stephen King (hubies)
    Corpsemouth and Other Autobiographies by John Langan (Jannes)
    Jannes: Corpsemouth is something of a companion piece to the novel, with several stories iterating on similar themes, including fishing.

I had no idea what to expect going into this book, other than it was supposed to be scary. Honestly, not as scary as people claimed it to be, but still an enjoyable read with spooky elements. The author writes in a way that really makes you feel like you're listening to someone tell a story.
There are fantasy elements to this story which personally I'm not a fan of, but I'm not a big fan of fantasy so I don't hold that against the book. Just thought I should mention it in case you also dislike fantasy. But nonetheless I would recommend the book 👍 ( )
  smekday | Jun 8, 2024 |
Yes, horror is horror, but this one was just too unbelievable. I was never really caught up in the story. It was dense. A lot on a page. Seemingly overlong. ( )
  37143Birnbaum | Jun 6, 2024 |
Absolutely terrific! One of the better horror novels I've read in quite some time. ( )
  gossarabiosa | Feb 10, 2024 |
This took me a long time to get through, not because of the book but because of a holiday and other things going on although I will admit I’m not a huge fan of first person, which can make some books sound more tell than show. That’s the case here, though I’m unsure if third person would have worked. The story is told in three parts, first and last by Abe, the book’s main character, and the Middle by someone Abe and his fishing buddy meet, when we learn the legend surrounding Dutchman’s Creek. This structure removes one from the story a little in that I found myself far more interested in past characters and events than those of the present ones. I also found the sex scene towards the end gratuitous. Fans of Lovecraft type literary tales should love this book. For others who don’t like the gothic slow burn they may not appreciate it so well. The world the author creates, he brought to life, and the narrative invoked all the right imagery. It’s an excellent book — fantastical, imaginative, dark, visceral in places, subtle in others, mythological, epic — and the right reader will love it. The end was satisfying, though left me questioning the fate of the world, and the possibility of one the horrors presented ever bleeding to a greater degree into our reality. ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | Dec 5, 2023 |
An interesting, Lovecraft-adjacent story. About half the book—maybe more?—is a flashback story that I felt could have been shortened considerably. I don't know that I was ever scared (which is saying a lot, because I scare easily) but Langan evokes a feeling of dread and pervasive unease as horror seeps into the ordinary world. ( )
  adamhindman | Oct 23, 2023 |
Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way? ...

--the palsied universe lies before us a leper; and like willful travelers in Lapland, who refuse to wear colored and coloring glasses upon their eyes, so the wretched infidel gazes himself blind at the monumental white shroud that wraps all the prospect around him. And of all these things the Albino whale was the symbol. Wonder ye then at the fiery hunt?

--Herman Melville, Moby Dick
For Fiona
Don't call me Abraham: call me Abe.

Fiction. Horror. Literature. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,554,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible