Everything You Want Me to Be by Mindy Mejia

Everything You Want Me to Be

by Mindy Mejia

Interesting story, not a full blown mystery in that there were a small pool of suspects for the murder. The story is well told and the ending, while surprising, was not out of the realm of believability. ( )
  zmagic69 | Jun 4, 2018 |
Overall, this one was mostly okay. The ending was fairly predictable (and I NEVER guess the endings of books). The story felt like one that I had read before—teenager who wants more than her small town has to offer and manipulates everyone around her. In some respects, it isn't too different THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE ON EARTH. By the end of the novel, I think that we are supposed to see Hattie as the real "bad guy" of the story, but the writing doesn't take us there well. It's clunky and uncomfortable more often than not. If high school stories are your thing, than borrow it from the library. I would pass purchasing this one. 3.5/5

I was given a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and unbiased review. ( )
  Haneyhh | Apr 10, 2018 |
Loved this book ( )
  ChrisWay | Mar 28, 2018 |
It's not very often that I add a title to my list of favorite books, and I've never felt the burning desire to create a shelf for my favorite reads on Goodreads - that is, until this moment. After finishing up with Mindy Mejia's Everything You Want Me to Be, I am nearly speechless. What Mejia has pulled off in her book is nothing short of a impressive.

One of the things that caught my interest when I was browsing through titles to request on NetGalley was the synopsis for this novel, which I found to be unique. Most books give you a loose summary of the plot, sans spoilers. It's the information that you usually find on the back of a book, really. That little tidbit of information for Everything You Want Me to Be came defied the norm in that regard by blatantly telling potential readers that they would be following the life of a girl up until her death which, if you ask me, is a pretty big spoiler: one that leaves a challenge at that. If you tell your readers that the main character is dead, the question that remains is this: how are you going to keep them hooked? Mejia's reply to that query comes in the form of a plot full of nerve-wracking twists and turns that, no matter how certain a reader might be, is likely to still leave them searching for answers. (I was actually guessing until the very end how this book would play out, and I did not figure it out until the very last moment, when there were only lines left until the major reveal.)

Everything You Want Me to Be is a whodunnit novel - of that, I have no doubt. Eighteen-year-old Henrietta Hoffman, full of talent and with her whole life ahead of her, is murdered. It was someone close to her, according to evidence, and its left to the sheriff, who happens to be the girl's father's best friend, to find out who's behind it. It is also a psychological thriller. Reading this book, I felt things I did not want to feel. Where I felt I should be directing anger and disgust, I could not; in fact, my least favorite character is actually the victim, rather than the various suspects I encountered as I read.

Henrietta, or Hattie as she prefers to be called, is a typical teen-aged girl, facing the usual obstacles of small town life. Having been in her shoes, I was able to connect with her and, in some ways, relive my own past as I read through her dialogue. Born and raised in rural south Minnesota, Hattie has dreams of the Big Apple. Every moment of her free time is spent focusing on those dreams, and while she's browsing through a forum, she meets a guy that she ends up falling in love with. Through private messages, a relationship blooms, and she and this guy embark upon a journey with an unknown destination. It's a pretty easy web to get caught up in, especially when one spends most of their time pleasing other people, which Hattie obviously does.

The book is told from three perspectives in total: Henrietta's, Peter's, and Del's. Peter is a teacher at her school and Del is the town's sheriff. In addition to these three vastly different points-of-view, there is a plethora of minor characters and, surprisingly enough, they all have their own quirks and flaws. I have to admit I'm actually impressed by how much depth there is to Mejia's characters and that she's written them in such a way that it's easy to remember their traits. More often than not, when there's so many characters to flesh out, it is way too easy to lose track of individual character traits.

I can't say a whole lot about the plot's flow really. To be honest, it is a bit all over the place. Considering that Everything You Want Me to Be is written in a loose journal-style and one of the speakers is the sheriff, that is to be expected. Obviously there isn't much of a need to include him prior to the discovery of Hattie's body. Also, the story starts at the end, then hooks back to a year prior to the murder. Fortunately, each shift in voice is dated, so it's not too much of a challenge to keep up with.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an advance copy for the purpose of an unbiased review. I can't wait for a chance to purchase a physical copy of this book for my shelf! ( )
  agrimscythe | Mar 20, 2018 |
4.5 Stars
This is the most unconventional whodunit story-telling I have ever read. It's so unique and spell-binding, I couldn't put this book down. I honestly didn't want it to end!

I freaking love Hattie. With all of her flaws and manipulation, she is one of those characters I can't help but to love. In truth, I should despise her. I should say she got what she deserved. But the truth is, I can't.

This story is told from three different point of views. You get Hattie's side, Peter's side and Del's side. Who are these Peter and Del characters? They are people who are very important to this story. Without their side of the story, there really wouldn't be a story. Plus, I don't think we would want Hattie to tell you all of her story. It wouldn't necessarily be correct.

The twists and turns in this book had my mind on overdrive. Just when I thought I had it figured out, another wrench was thrown in and threw me into a tailspin. This happened over and over. Then I knew FOR SURE I was on the right track, until I wasn't. I was correct on a few things, just not in the ways I had assumed.

Hands down, this is a book I recommend for all of you psychological thriller junkies like me. You will devour this book. You might get to the end and be a little conflicted on how you feel, but after a long period of mulling over everything, I bet you would agree with my assessment of this book! ( )
  AmberGoleb | Mar 13, 2018 |
For Myron, Blanche, Vic, and Hilma, who farmed the hills of southern Minnesota and cultivated a legacy of hard work, forbearance, laughter, and love. All my stories start with you.
Running away sucked.
'Everything You Want Me to Be' (US) is also published as 'The Last Act of Hattie Hoffman' (UK)

Hattie Hoffman has spent her whole life playing many parts: the good student, the good daughter, the good girlfriend. When she's found brutally stabbed to death, the tragedy rips right through the fabric of her small-town community. Full of twists and turns, Everything You Want Me to Be reconstructs a year in the life of a dangerously mesmerizing young woman, during which a small town's darkest secrets come to the forefront, and she inches closer and closer to her death.--Page [2] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,052,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible