Going Rogue

by Drew Hayes

Series: Spells, Swords, & Stealth (3)

Adventuring is a costly affair, and while the tolls are often paid in blood, gold can drain away just as quickly. The party's trek out of Solium and across the lands of Alcatham has left them with only a handful of gold between them. Fortunately, they have drawn near Camnarael, Alcatham's capital, where all manner of quests-and rewards-await. But all is not as expected in the capital. Unusual occurrences have been happening throughout Camnarael: figures in the shadows making unsavory bargains, attackers harassing innocent parishioners, and adventurers from all over the land gathering to partake in a Grand Quest offered by the royal family. Most curious of all are the rumors that speak of a strange artifact serving as the reward for this rare and legendary quest . . . an artifact that sounds just a bit too familiar to the former NPCs.… (more)
    Goblin Quest by Jim C. Hines (Beefsandwich)
    Beefsandwich: As "Going Rogue" is a different take on the fantasy adventurer genre, Goblin Quest carves its own path by following a lowly goblin named Jig as he forcibly joins (kidnapped) a group of adventurers to lead them to the "Rod of Creation". Jig is no hero, similar to our NPC characters in the "Spells, Swords, & Stealth" series, yet, what he's able to do over this trilogy will make him into a legend.… (more)

These keep getting better, even if I set this one aside for a couple of months while I moved from Texas to Ohio, vacationed in Mexico for my 60th birthday, proofread a novel for an author, read and reviewed a few other ARCs, and dealt with another near episode of reader’s block when I finally picked this up again a couple of days ago on a flight from Ohio to Alaska. I was stuck about a quarter in and not particularly interested in the storylines. My mistake. Big mistake. Once I broke through on the plane…. barreling down a mountain with no brakes. Twists, turns, substories within substories and a mystery or three still hanging. I have to clear a couple of other books and write up a review for one also finished on the flight but I expect the flight back might be the right time for the last installment. Looking forward to it.

I do wonder if something was a typo or deliberate… in the epilogue, Cheri “took a long sip [of beer] from her can” and moments later “Bert glanced down at the near empty beer bottle in Cheri’s hand.” Given the crossover effect… Mr Hayes?? ( )
  Razinha | Oct 2, 2021 |
There were some interesting twists at the end of this book, including a couple of mystery figure reveals that I anticipated (but still enjoyed for all that they didn't surprise me). I'm looking forward to seeing where the series goes from here. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 20, 2020 |
I've been enjoying this series and decided to pick up the next in the order. We start now with our NPC group, plus the usual PC group... and we're adding a new PC group! This creates complicatedly fun!

Last book, we had Grumph go through the training to be a wizard so it seems only fitting that this time another party member get trained in their arts. Eric was due.

I'm not sure I liked the two PC parties with the one NPC party technique of this book. Obviously, it was needed for some of the story line, fixing certain elements into play. But for a bit, it got annoying. Though anyone who's played will recognize the gun bunny, the min max player, and the blood thirsty bastard that some groups attract.

When the artifact had been described initially, I suspected we might see something like happened in this book. What I didn't expect is the note in the epilogue. We've got a good long series ahead? Maybe? I'll enjoy following Thistle, Grumph, Eric, Gabrielle, and Timescor. Still not sure about Mr. Peppers.

Oh, two things I can't help but gush over. Befriending a RED DRAGON! and fighting a RED DRAGON!? Just WHOA! ( )
  gilroy | Jan 10, 2020 |

Drew Hayesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wayne, RogerNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruggs, A. M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

This book goes out to Rocky. my first GM, whose patient guidance and fun campaigns are what kindled my love of tabletop games.
Dented armor. Dull swords. Bobbles and trinkets set within poorly-crafted gold. This was what passed for tribute in the kingdom nowadays. (Prologue)
Russell brushed past two elves and what he was pretty sure was a dryad before nearly tumbling over the fifteenth person in red-and-black screaming about chimichangas.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,461,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible