The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest

by Mollie Katzen

Shares hundreds of recipes from soups to desserts and in a variety of ethnic cooking styles--that call for fresh ingredients and no meats.

Yum yum yum. ( )
  eringill | Dec 25, 2022 |
The Enchanted Broccoli Forest follows upon the success of Katzen’s first recipe collection, Moosewood Cookbook. All the recipes are meatless, and every one I have tried is delicious.

The book begins with “General Pantry Notes” and then moves on to Soups, Salads, Breads, Entrees, Light Meals for Nibblers, and Desserts. The “Entree” section is further divided into Quiches & Vegetable Pies, Strudel-Leaf Pastries, Enchiladas, Piroshki & Calzone, and Blinzes.

The section on baking bread is especially notable. She includes “An Illustrated Guide to the Baking of Yeasted Bread” that will answer all your questions and increase your confidence. She explains the functions of yeast and gluten, the characteristics of different types of flour, and where best to raise your dough.

This is one of my favorite cookbooks. I love the font and the artwork as much as I love the recipes. ( )
  nbmars | Dec 2, 2020 |
This was the gift of a friend. I'm a proud carnivore and this is not a book I would ordinarily have bought myself, though I understand it's a classic among vegetarians. It's very hippie, with drawings and hand-lettering. Some of the recipes sounded too weird (Almond Soup?) but others exotically interesting (Sunflower Millet Bread). In the end, it's a cookbook that grew on me as I tried recipes and one among a handful that are keepers--even if I'm never going to give up flesh eating... ( )
1 vote LisaMaria_C | Sep 11, 2013 |
Ms. Katzen is a hero to vegetarian cooks everywhere, and she’s also an accomplished artist. Readers of her many cookbooks are treated to sunny watercolor images of inviting breakfast tables and studied line drawings of vegetable cross-sections. The Moosewood Cookbook is probably her most famous title, but Broccoli Forest was my first cookbook, and the one nearest and dearest to my heart. Note the care she put in writing and illustrating every lovely page by hand. Her recipes are laid out in simple, unassuming instructions; her tone is always friendly and encouraging.
  CaraOrban | Feb 25, 2009 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,608,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible