Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon

Star Maker (1937)

by Olaf Stapledon

Series: Last Men (3)

English (20)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (23)
Astral-projection, time-travel and the multi-verse are just a few of the concepts presented in this science fiction classic. It doesn't follow a conventional story arc, which disappointed me, but instead, it's more a stream of consciousness narration that spans the width and breadth of the universe and across time. It also has philosophical musings about life, mortality, and a supreme being, among others, which I can't say I always followed. Maybe too deep for me. ( )
  wandaly | Dec 22, 2017 |
Just couldn't get into this. It was written as the shadow of WWII was growing over Europe, with related worries esp. re' fascism, and it just wasn't working as speculative fiction for me.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
3.9
  jim.antares | Nov 12, 2015 |
This is the book your university creative writing teacher warned you against. And that is not a good thing. Ideas are rich, but the writing is burdensome. I plowed through it just to see why CS Lewis thought the ending was so heretical. I don't think I got that either. ( )
  M.Campanella | Dec 24, 2013 |

Olaf Stapledonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dollens, Morris ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlück, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One night when I had tasted bitterness I went out on to the hill.
Nebula Maker is basically a first draft for Star Maker and is not the same work.

This 1937 successor to Last and First Men offers another entrancing speculative history of the future. Cited as a key influence by science-fiction masters such as Doris Lessing, its bold exploration of the cosmos ventures into intelligent star clusters and mingles among alien races for a memorable vision of infinity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:04 -0400)

One moment a man sits on a suburban hill, gazing curiously at the stars. The next, he is whirling through the firmament, and perhaps the most remarkable of all science fiction journeys has begun.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,746,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible