Little Fires Everywhere

by Celeste Ng

From the bestselling author of Everything I Never Told You, the intertwined stories of the picture-perfect Richardson family and the mother and daughter who upend their lives "I read Little Fires Everywhere in a single, breathless sitting. With brilliance and beauty, Celeste Ng dissects a microcosm of American society just when we need to see it beneath the microscope ..."--Jodi Picoult, New York Times -bestselling author of Small Great Things and Leaving Time In Shaker Heights, a placid, progressive suburb of Cleveland, everything is planned - from the layout of the winding roads, to the colors of the houses, to the successful lives its residents will go on to lead. And no one embodies this spirit more than Elena Richardson, whose guiding principle is playing by the rules. Enter Mia Warren - an enigmatic artist and single mother - who arrives in this idyllic bubble with her teenaged daughter Pearl, and rents a house from the Richardsons. Soon Mia and Pearl become more than tenants: all four Richardson children are drawn to the mother-daughter pair. But Mia carries with her a mysterious past and a disregard for the status quo that threatens to upend this carefully ordered community. When old family friends of the Richardsons attempt to adopt a Chinese-American baby, a custody battle erupts that dramatically divides the town--and puts Mia and Elena on opposing sides. Suspicious of Mia and her motives, Elena is determined to uncover the secrets in Mia's past. But her obsession will come at unexpected and devastating costs. Little Fires Everywhere explores the weight of secrets, the nature of art and identity, and the ferocious pull of motherhood - and the danger of believing that following the rules can avert disaster.… (more)
    Digging to America by Anne Tyler (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Two disparate families become entangled in each other's lives in these insightful, character-driven novels that tackle the weighty topics of privilege, class, adoption, and identity. While the themes are serious, both authors inject humor and poignancy into their stories.… (more)
    The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Cross racial adoption
    Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid (wandering_star)
    Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover (sturlington)
    Red Clocks by Leni Zumas (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: A dystopian view of many of the same themes of abortion, adoption, motherhood.
    Miracle Creek by Angie Kim (KatyBee)

English (318)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (321)
I liked a lot about this book. I liked the dynamic between mother and daughter and the overall story. I was on edge waiting to see what was coming. ( )
  Cassie1985 | Sep 11, 2022 |
“Sometimes you need to scorch everything to the ground, and start over. After the burning the soil is richer, and new things can grow. People are like that, too. They start over. They find a way.”

A thoughtful, well-constructed novel that tackles important issues of motherhood, privilege and social transformation inside a suburban community. About the little fires that are able to wound sharply, but can also provide hope and fruition for something new.

What starts off feeling like a family drama written by Jodi Picoult or Liane Moriarty, soon unravels into something more thought-provoking and multi-layered as the plot thickens. Although I struggled a bit to warm up to the characters in the beginning, Little Fires Everywhere ended up a novel that I have no doubt will stay with me for a long time. On that note, it certainly helps that Celeste Ng is a fantastic writer whose prose is such a pleasure to read. ( )
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
It's really 3,5 stars. I liked the story, but something about it didn't get me hooked - as I was expecting and I ended up taking too much time to finish it. Maybe I'll like the tv series better? ( )
  helloitsrafaela | Aug 22, 2022 |
(3.5)

Celeste Ng is officially an author I will read anything from. She's that good! ( )
  DominiqueDavis | Aug 9, 2022 |
April bookclub book from Beth. Good read and somewhat of a mystery and I would've liked to have a better ending. Kind of left you hanging. ( )
  PatLibrary123 | Aug 9, 2022 |

Ng, Celesteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lim, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mudder, MarianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whether you buy a homesite in the School Section, broad acres in the Shaker Country Estates, or one of the houses offered by this company in a choice of neighborhoods, your purchase includes facilities for golf, riding, tennis, boating; it includes in unexcelled schools; it includes protection forever against depreciation and unwelcome change.
---Advertisement, The Van Sweringen Company,
Creators and Developers of a Shaker Village
Actually, though, all things considered, people from Shaker Heights are pretty much like people everywhere else in America. They may have three or four cars instead of one or two, and they may have two television sets instead of one, and when a Shaker Heights girl gets married she may have a reception for eight hundred, with the Meyer Davis band flown in from New York, instead of a wedding reception for a hundred with a local band, but these are all differences of degree rather than fundamental differences. "We're friendly people and we have a wonderful time!" Said a woman at the Shaker Heights Country Club recently, and she was right, for the inhabitants of Utopia do, in fact, appear to lead a rather happy life.
---"The Good Life in Shaker Heights," Cosmopolitan, March 1963
To those out on their own paths, setting little fires
Everyone in Shaker Heights was talking about it that summer: how Isabelle, the last of the Richardson children, had finally gone around the bend and burned the house down.
Remember, Mia had said: Sometimes you need to scorch everything to the ground and start over.  After the burning the soil is richer, and new things can grow.  People's are like that, too.  They start over.  They find a way.
"Some pictures, " Mia said, " belong to the person who took them.  And some belong to the person inside them...."
Every bedroom was empty except for the smell of gasoline and a small crackling fire set directly in the middle of each bed, as if a demented Girl Scout had been camping there.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,767,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible