The Kommandant's Girl (2001)

by Pam Jenoff

Based in part on actual events, The Kommandant's Girl is a compelling tale of love and courage in a dangerous and desperate times. Unique in voice and evocative in historical detail, this stunning debut faithfully explores the gray area between right and wrong and the timeless themes of home, stuggle and defiance in the face of overwhelming odds. Nineteen-year-old Emma Bau has been married only three weeks when Nazi tanks thunder into her native Poland. Within days Emma's husband, Jacob, is forced to disappear underground, leaving her imprisoned within the city's decrepit, moldering Jewish ghetto. But then, in the dead of night, the resistance smuggles her out. Taken to Krakow to live with Jacob's Catholic cousin, Krysia, Emma takes on a new identity as Anna Lipowski, a gentile. Emma's already precarious situation is complicated by her introduction to Kommandant Richwalder, a high-ranking Nazi official who hires her to work as his assistant. Urged by the resistance to use her position to access details of the Nazi occupation, Emma must compromise her safety--and her marriage vows--in order to help Jacob's cause. As the atrocities of war intensify, so does Emma's relationship with the Kommandant, building to a climax that will risk not only her double life, but also the lives of those she loves.… (more)

This was a great read! Found myself not being able to put it down in some places. I love Jenoff's descriptions and her view of the WW2 Nazi era. Looking forward to the second book in the series. ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
Emma Bau is newly married to her love, Jacob. Poland is taken over by the Nazis just a year into their marriage and they are split apart by necessity and Jacob's politics. Left behind she is taken in by Krysia, she has a choice to help the Resistance. The choices she makes effects all of their lives. I just wish she had not been so indecisive until the end of the book. ( )
  bgknighton | Jun 28, 2021 |
This book was very well written, drawing me in from the very beginning. The main character is a young Jewish woman who struggles as her home town of Krakow is occupied by the Nazis. Her husband is part of the resistance and leaves her behind to go underground. Experiencing the Jewish ghetto and then living under an assumed identity, she begins working for a high up official gaining his trust and sharing information with the resistance.

I loved the way Emma/Anna was a very real person during her horrifying situations. She had real life feelings and conflicting emotions. The story was well told and kept me engage right until the end. ( )
  tinkerbellkk | Jul 14, 2020 |
This is the story of polish Jews - particularly one, Emma. She is married to Jacob who becomes a resistance fighter. She is smuggled out of the ghetto and goes to live with Jacob's aunt, a Catholic. They also take in a toddler who is the only surviving member of a famous rabbinic family. She meets the Kommandant who falls for her and invites her to work for him. Of course, he doesn't know she is Jewish. She has feelings for him and sleeps with him to try to get information from his apartment for her husband and the resistance. At times, I wanted to reach into the book and slap her for being stupid, but really she was just young and in an impossible solution. I shouldn't think I could do better. Her parents are still in the ghetto and her husband is in hiding. I liked the book.
  taurus27 | Jun 22, 2019 |
The Kommandant's Girl is a heart wrenching story of a young Jewish woman who escapes the fate of her people in Nazi occupied Poland, but at the cost of her own dignity. Emma is a newly married and her husband is forced to leave her side to help in the resistance. She is sent to live with his Catholic aunt where she assumes a new identity and ends up working for the Kommandant. Emma knows she is supposed to despise this man, but for the sake of the resistance she ends up closer to him than expected. Throughout the story we see Emma struggle with her feelings for the Kommandant and her fear for her family. By the end of this novel you will be emotionally spent, yet yearning for more. ( )
  saudia89 | Feb 26, 2019 |
To my family.
Joe Haberer
As we cut across the wide span of the market square, past the pigeons gathered around fetid puddles, I eye the sky warily and tighten my grip on Lukasz's hand, willing him to walk faster.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,126,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible