dismiss

Cosmos {book} (1980)

by Carl Sagan

This visually stunning book with over 250 full-color illustrations, many of them never before published, is based on Carl Sagan’s thirteen-part television series. Told with Sagan’s remarkable ability to make scientific ideas both comprehensible and exciting,Cosmosis about science in its broadest human context, how science and civilization grew up together. The book also explores spacecraft missions of discovery of the nearby planets, the research in the Library of ancient Alexandria, the human brain, Egyptian hieroglyphics, the origin of life, the death of the Sun, the evolution of galaxies and the origins of matter, suns and worlds. Sagan retraces the fifteen billion years of cos-mic evolution that have transformed matter into life and consciousness, enabling the Cosmos to wonder about itself. He considers the latest findings on life elsewhere and how we might communicate with the beings of other worlds. Cosmosis the story of our long journey of discovery and the forces and individuals who helped to shape modern science, including Democritus, Hypatia, Kepler, Newton, Huy-gens, Champollion, Lowell and Humason. Sagan looks at our planet from an extra-terrestrial vantage point and sees a blue jewel-like world, inhabited by a lifeform that is just beginning to discover its own unity and to ven-ture into the vast ocean of space.… (more)

English (44)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (46)
A very readable journey through our universe - Sagan has a poetic view of humanity's struggle from an unremarkable mammal to our current level of evolution. His rich descriptions of historical milestones in science are both entertaining and informing. ( )
  MatthewFrend | Jun 30, 2020 |
Com autografo da Profa Cleide Pinto, da Geografia-USP, em outubro/1985
  Nagib | Jun 3, 2020 |
"two thumbs up"? no, really, totally mindblowing. ( )
  uncleflannery | May 16, 2020 |
Magna obra de divulgación científica de una de las personas que se ha consagrado al oficio de divulgador. Existe un proceso físico, llamado “Saganización”, mediante el cual un científico que investiga deja de hacerlo para dedicarse a hablar de cosas sobre las que no investiga. Probablemente sea un término acuñado por los envidiosos. El libro está muy bien. Se tratan muchos temas interesantes (Relatividad, el Big Bang, la comunicación con hipotéticos seres extraterrestres...) mediante ejemplos muy para el gran público. Hay un trasfondo profundo, llamémosle “humanista”, en todo el libro: El mundo, ¿para qué sirve? ¿Por qué son así las cosas y no de otra manera? Preguntas que no corresponden al ámbito de la Ciencia (todavía) sino al de la filosofía o la religión (aunque tampoco tengan mucho que decir al respecto). ( )
  Remocpi | Apr 22, 2020 |
An amazing and beautiful book, Sagan is truly a genius and an amazing writer. ( )
  GrimeRaider | Apr 6, 2020 |

Sagan, CarlAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aulicino, RobertDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dr. Vivek PoonthiyilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Druyan, AnnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tyson, Neil deGrasseForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ann Druyan; In the vastness of space and the immensity of time, it is my joy to share a planet and an epoch with Annie.
In ancient times, in everyday speech and custom, the most mundane happenings were connected with the grandest cosmic events. [Introduction p. xi]
The Cosmos is all that is or ever was or ever will be. [Main Text, p. 4]
The Cosmos is all that is or ever was or ever will be.
We have heard so far the voice of life on one small world only. But we have at last begun to listen for other voices in the cosmic fugue.
We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers.
Please distinguish among:
  • Carl Sagan's original television series, Cosmos (1980);
  • this similarly titled companion book, (1980);
  • Neil deGrasse Tyson's similarly titled television series, Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (2014); and
  • Anne Druyan's sequel to Sagan's works, Cosmos: Possible Worlds (2019).

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,977,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible