Cathedral by Raymond Carver

Cathedral (1983)

by Raymond Carver

Recently added bynfeldbaum, prueda, private library, bonevivant, ez_reader, RWAbington, parkerparadise, soraxtm
Legacy LibrariesWilliam Gaddis

English (77)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (84)
My first book by Raymond Carver. I admire everything he manages to packs into each story but have always had trouble picking up on symbolism and reading into deeper meanings than what I feel intuitively and have difficulty verbalizing. One recurring theme is the difficulty we have communicating with one another and with understanding ourselves. This is borne out with repeated references to heavy drinkers and alcoholism; how so many people choose this easy escape in a glass to deal with inconvenient feelings and situations.

Not all the stories in this collection involve booze, but miscommunication is a major theme and they are overall rather bleak and depressing, so I took my time reading them bit by bit, not wanting to be dragged down with despair. The title story Cathedral illustrates this perfectly. The narrators wife announces an old blind friend is coming over for a visit after losing his wife to cancer. She and this friend have had a regular correspondence over many years and exchanged many intimate details about their inner lives and their marriages. As for the narrator, he can barely think of a blind person as a fully realized human being and seems to think their lack of sight means they aren’t able to enjoy life. It is soon revealed that while most people are able to look, few take the time to actually see.

With his simple pared down language, Carver invites us to look beyond the surface and to find true meaning. I think that’s what he’s doing in any case. I’ll need to read more articles analyzing his work maybe. But then again, sometimes I think it’s okay to just intuit things without seeking to understand them logically either. Our inner eye sees so much more than we allow for after all. ( )
  Smiler69 | Jun 23, 2019 |
I got past 50 pages before deciding not to waste more time on this.

I do appreciate that if someone is going to leave his stories hanging it is better that he does this after 10 pages than after 400. But I still don't like it. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Jun 17, 2019 |
Carver's voice is unmistakable, mesmerizing, and real. I was drawn into every story through the power of this voice, even the stories that didn't touch me. But many of these did touch me. My particular favorites are "Feathers," "A Small, Good Thing," "The Train," and "Cathedral." At times the overbearing depression of the stories weighed on me, as if their repetitiveness--too much drinking, recently broken marriages--made each one more depressing than the last. Personally I most enjoyed the ones with glimpses of hope at the end; not idealistic turnarounds, just the potential for hope: "A Small, Good Thing" and "Cathedral" being perfect examples. Regardless of my personal reaction, Carver has one of the most distinct and graspable American voices of the past century. ( )
  petermoccia | Mar 20, 2019 |
¿3.7? Una cosa así.

Para lo que todo el mundo dice de Carver (que es uno de los más grandes cuentistas de todos los tiempos), varios de estos cuentos me dejaron frío frío. Si se trata de retratar impecablemente lo cotidiano en un cuento (y si se trata de norteamericanos), me sigue gustando más lo poco que he leído de Cheever, de Munro y de Berlin. Sin embargo, un par de cuentos de esta antología sí me hicieron sentir que estaba frente a uno de los grandes, en especial "A Small, Good Thing", "Careful", "Fever" y "Cathedral". Si hubiera leído sólo estos cuatro cuentos, Carver sería de mis favoritos: todos tienen ese momento extraordinario de revelación. Pero bueno, así son las antologías. ( )
  LeoOrozco | Feb 26, 2019 |
OK, so the craft and the talent behind these stories is undoubted, but there was very little about them to love.

They were mostly about endings, and people keeping on anyway. Sometimes they had a shred of hope like in the title story or "Where I'm Calling From", but mostly it was about keeping your head down and just accepting the dull current of life.

This is the first time in a long time that I've felt too young to have read something. I can get a bit down and moody on occasion, but the next time I feel miserable I should check this out again. I mean, wow. What unhappy people and so real too.

I'm caught between "Bridle" or "A Small, Good Thing" as my favorite stories (the latter kept trying to be overshadowed by what I remembered from the movie 'Short Cuts', but the original prevailed). They were sad and honest and completely believable. I just felt like I needed a pack of cigarettes, some scotch and water and a failing marriage by the time I was finished. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
The Cathedral is a story of how a man, known as the narrator, overcomes his predisposition towards a culture that is unknown to him. From the beginning, the narrator does not like Robert, and he really has no reason for it. He has his stereotypes that he sticks to in the beginning, until Robert starts to prove many of them false. It is apparent that the narrator is very big on appearance, and this is shown through his fascination that a blind man had a beard. Later in the story, the narrator also points out that Robert did not wear sunglasses or use a cane. The narrator thought about how pitiful Roberts wife was, and how awful their relationship must have been because she would never receive a compliment based on her looks by her loved one. This shows what type of a husband he is, and what he values in his marriage. The narrator doesn't seem to have many friends, and his wife even points this out, and he seems to drink and smoke a lot. Although he can see, in comparison, he seems like the blind one. Although Robert is physically blind, he is a real jack of trades. He hasn't let his blindness get in the way of his happiness and it just goes to show that you can be blind, and still truly see. The narrator begins to understand this at the end of the story when he draws the cathedral with Robert and begins to bridge the gap between himself and true understanding.
added by smyth104 | editSchool

Raymond Carverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duranti, RiccardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Tess Gallagher
For Tess Gallagher and in memory of John Gardner
This friend of mine from work, Bud, he asked Fran and me to supper.

Contains: Feathers -- Chef's house -- Preservation -- The compartment -- A small, good thing -- Vitamins -- Careful -- Where I'm calling from -- The train -- Fever -- The bridle -- Cathedral.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679723692, Paperback)

It was morning in America when Raymond Carver's Cathedral came out in 1983, but the characters in this dry collection of short stories from the forgotten corners of land of opportunity didn't receive much sunlight. Nothing much happens to the subjects of Carver's fiction, which is precisely why they are so harrowing: nothingness is a daunting presence to overcome. And rarely do they prevail, but the loneliness and quiet struggle the characters endure provide fertile ground for literary triumph, particularly in the hands of Carver, who was perhaps in his best form with this effort.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:12 -0400)

Collection of short stories in which nothing much happens to the subjects of Carver's fiction, which is precisely why they are so harrowing: nothingness is a daunting presence to overcome. And rarely do they prevail, but the loneliness and quiet struggle the characters endure provide fertile ground for literary triumph.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,465,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible