Seductions of Rice: A Cookbook (1998)

by Jeffrey Alford, Naomi Duguid

With a depth of passion and experience, and an ability to embrace and convey richness of place and taste, the authors of the groundbreaking Flatbreads and Flavors and the later award-winning Hot Sour Salty Sweet embarked on a far-reaching excursion to find the world's most essential and satisfying food. Along the way, they experienced firsthand dozens of varieties of rice, offering unimaginable subtleties of taste, as well as a staggering array of foods to accompany them, all providing a simple way to get flavor and variety on the table. Seductions of Rice is the glorious result: two hundred easy-to-prepare dishes from the world's great rice cuisines, illuminated by stories, insights, and more than two hundred photographs of people, places, and wonderful food. Cherished dishes--Chinese stir-frys, Spanish paellas, Japanese sushi, Indian thorans, Thai salads, Turkish pilafs, Italian risottos--are shared not just as recipes, but as time-honored traditions. Seductions of Rice will change the way we eat, the way we prepare and appreciate our food. It's as easy as putting a pot of rice on to cook!… (more)

I purchased this and all of Alford's books after acquiring Flatbreads and Flavors. Of them I only have these two left since I found several recipes I return to over and over again. Wonderful travelogue with interesting recipes. ( )
  elka.b | Nov 10, 2017 |
Essentially a big coffee table book about rice. Too big for comfortable reading or for cooking from.
  MarthaJeanne | Dec 20, 2016 |
Everything you've ever wanted to know about rice - and more. Plus receipes.
The book covers all the types of rice from around the world, how they are grown, how they are cooked, why some are more popular/prevalent than others. A must- have book in any serious cook's library. ( )
  herschelian | Sep 17, 2013 |

Jeffrey Alfordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duguid, Naomimain authorall editionsconfirmed
Da Costa, BeatrizPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sklar, EvanPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,950,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible