The Shape of Things to Come by H. G. Wells

The Shape of Things to Come (1933)

by H. G. Wells

Recently added byjclyne, unapersson, private library, mmoj, digitalmaven, EtonicQuasar
Legacy LibrariesT. E. Lawrence

This is one of the best books I've ever read. One thing that impressed me was the interesting idea to narrate it as a story-within-a-story history book written in the future. However, the most interesting aspect of the book is the fact that many of the events that H. G. Wells described in the novel very closely match the way that events really did play out after it was written.

Thinking about how reading this novel has affected me personally, I can say that I've sligthly lost track of which historical events were real and which ones were made up by Wells, since (as noted above) the novel very closely resembles reality. However, reading it definitely improved my English skills (I'm from Sweden).

As a general assessment, I can say that this is a great book, and it's definitely worth reading. ( )
  cyberfreak | Feb 6, 2013 |
A glimpse of what the future might have been…. Fantasy or prophecy?
It is 1930. Dr. Raven is dead. He has left behind a chronicle of the years 1930-2105, a ""short history of the future"".
A World War rages from 1940-50, exhausting the West and bringing in its wake famine, plague and eco-disaster. In 1968 central London collapses into the Thames. America fragments -- the Declaration of Independence is rescinded, but no legitimate heir of George III can be found. Over all the threat of new war still hangs -- until the scientific and technical elite gather at the Basra Conference and begin to work out a new World Order.
  rajendran | Feb 25, 2007 |
  tedrick | Dec 31, 1969 |

H. G. Wellsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clute, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parrinder, PatrickEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Partington, John SNotessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The unexpected death of Dr. Philip Raven at Geneva in November 1930 was a very grave loss to the League of Nations Secretariat.

The Shape of Things to Come tells of an intellectual who dies and leaves behind a “dream book” inspired by visions that are remarkably prescient.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:21 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible