Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Darkfever

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (1)

2,495None2,431 (3.96)91
2008 (12) 2011 (11) Dublin (21) ebook (52) fae (98) faerie (59) fairies (28) fantasy (145) fever (25) fever series (48) fiction (110) free (15) Ireland (74) Karen Marie Moning (15) Kindle (39) magic (21) mystery (29) own (11) paranormal (111) paranormal romance (61) read (33) read in 2011 (18) romance (101) series (45) sidhe (14) supernatural (18) to-read (88) unread (15) urban fantasy (131) vampires (35)
    A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (fairypenguin)
    fairypenguin: Another very different, modern take on the Fae.
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (avalon_today, questionablepotato)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest (questionablepotato)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (jennyellen22)
    Glimmerglass by Jenna Black (flemmily)
    flemmily: Darkfever is for adults, and is both darker (violence and othersuch events) and yet fluffier (emotionally) than Glimmerglass. However, both feature plucky heroines making their way in a world that is a weird mix of fairy and human.
    The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams (avalon_today)
    In the Dark of Dreams by Marjorie M. Liu (questionablepotato)
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (questionablepotato)
    Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (alesi1)

English (164)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (167)
A year ago I read this book. I thought it was alright. Honestly, I kind of hated some of the characters. Well, like all of them. I thought Barrons was a weird control freak that was probably dangerous, like wife-beater or the rage full jealous type dangerous and that Mac was a vapid idiot. I finally, after a year of trying to convince myself that all of the glowing reviews for this series were written my idiots who must not know a good story, I bit the bullet and read the second book. I love it! The reviewers are right! I love the series! I have been tearing through them this week, like I'll be finished by the weekend. The characters change. Well, at least Mac does, tremendously. Barrons is... well, I don't really know yet what Barrons is, but I hate him slightly less now that I am at the end of book 3 than I did at the end of book 1.

I do think it is important that your expectations are in check before you begin this book. You see, one of the covers for book 1 has naked people on it. This is very misleading. Usually, naked people = romance of some sort. That is not the case here. There may be romance later, but do not expect it in book 1. ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I am embarrassed to admit that for years I have judged Karen Marie Moning’s Fever series by its covers (and even by the covers of Moning’s other books), dismissing it every time I saw it. Then Kelly (fellow reviewer at FanLit), whose opinion I esteem, recommended the Fever series and, simultaneously, Brilliance Audio sent me the last volume to review. So I decided to get the first book, Darkfever on audio, and give it a try.

MacKayla (Mac) Lane is a delightfully shallow Southern girl who we meet as she’s tanning herself by the pool in her pink bikini. She works as a bartender, takes some college classes, loves her parents, eats a lot, and adores her Juicy Couture purse. The biggest stressor in Mac’s life is her fear that Revlon might discontinue her favorite pink nail polish.

But reality hits when Mac finds out that her big sister, who’s also her best friend, has been murdered in an alley in Dublin. Devastated by her loss, frustrated by the lack of closure offered by the Dublin police, and spurred on by a cryptic clue on her voicemail, Mac sets off for Dublin to get some answers. She leaves behind her grieving and panicked parents.

When Mac arrives in Dublin, her pink princess life suddenly turns into a dark underground world of deadly shades, life-sucking faeries, dangerous black-market relics, and powerful magic. When she meets Jericho Barrons, a wealthy and mysterious bookstore owner, he warns her to leave, but Mac is determined to get answers and the more she learns, the scarier it gets.

I was immediately drawn to Mac, understanding the culture she comes from and being completely convinced of her authenticity. Mac is charming and funny, is concerned about maintaining decorum, and expects to receive Southern Hospitality wherever she goes. Her personality, manners, and wardrobe worked well for her debutante life in Georgia, but when she hits the wealthy and sophisticated section of Dublin, she seems like a Barbie doll. As Barrons puts it, she’s “a walking, talking catastrophe in pink.” But she’s so real — grieving over her sister, concerned about her frightened parents, realizing that she’s shallow, and knowing she doesn’t have what it takes to save the world.

Also impressive is the complete lack, so far, of a romance. I know it’s coming, but it’s not at all obvious that it’s being set up. At this point the focus is firmly on the plot and the world-building. While I welcome a romance, I find that fantasy novels that are set up around the romance (often what we get from books found next to Moning’s on the paranormal shelf) are usually weak in the areas of plot and world-building, and this is why I had dismissed the Fever series for so long. But I was wrong about this one. Darkfever is a fast-paced, compulsively readable novel with a relatable heroine, a wonderful setting, and a plot that’s full of tension of the non-romantic type. Now that this solid foundation has been laid, adding romantic tension on top will be a bonus to the plot instead of a burden.

This audiobook was read by Joyce Bean whose voice and acting skills easily range from Sweet Georgia Peach to Cultured Irish Alpha Male. Really impressive. I’m looking forward to the next audiobook, Bloodfever. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I'll be honest, I didn't appreciate nor enjoy this one as much as others seemed to.

It was entertaining, and at times enjoyable, but a bit bland in places. And, for the love of all that is holy, I do not want to read a page and half description of yet another horrendous outfit. We get it, she looks like an atrocious rainbow that used to have long blonde hair and now has short black hair. I for one, do not care!

On to next and let's see if I can find my love for this series underneath all those disgusting items of clothing... ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
I flew through this book, it was really good; although there were times when I thought MacKayla was really shallow and girly, she was really the only thing in this story that didn’t fit. By the end of the book though, I liked her more. All in all, a quick, fun read and I would recommend it to anyone who liked reading about the world of Faerie. ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
I heard such great things about this book and it was recommended to me by more than one person so I was really hoping that I would like it a lot more than I did.

What was good: The audio book narrator was wonderful. She had the perfect, and I mean PERFECT Georgia accent for MacKayla Lane. A lot of what got me through the book was the great narration. The plot was interesting, Mackayla makes her way to Ireland in search of her sister's murderer and finds out that everything she believed about herself and the world was wrong and that she really didn't know too much about her sister at all. She meets some pretty awful characters/things/creatures and a few fairly rude "friends" along the way. The effects that certain fae have on humans were quite interesting. There is one particular scene in the museum that had me laughing out loud. All in all, the plot was intriguing enough to get me from start to finish while keeping my attention.

But it wasn't amazing. When I stopped listening, I didn't find myself eager to get back to it so I could find out what happens next. I think that a lot of my problem with this book comes down to my love of traditional fantasy, and although I do like a unique re-imagining of things, I simply cannot buy into the "fae are aliens" thing. I honestly did not like that aspect of the book at all and is the main reason why I won't be continuing the series. I had no issues with the writing itself. I didn't find it to be overly descriptive, the dialog fit with the situations and wasn't overdone. Even the fact that Mackayla talked a lot about her clothes and could be a bit immature, I felt that would most likely lead to her really growing as a character in later books.

So, for anyone who would enjoy a book where the fae are aliens and some come in a many-armed many-mouthed variety, I would recommend this book. Its simply not for me. ( )
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
"… When the walls come tumblin' down
When the walls come crumblin' crumblin' ."
by John Cougar Mellencamp
This one's for Neil, for holding my hand and walking into the Dark Zone with me.
My philosophy is pretty simple—any day nobody's trying to kill me is a good day in my book.
"I said breathe. Not do a fish-out-of-water imitation."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440240980, Mass Market Paperback)

MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman. Or so she thinks…until something extraordinary happens.

When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae….

As Mac delves deeper into the mystery of her sister’s death, her every move is shadowed by the dark, mysterious Jericho, a man with no past and only mockery for a future. As she begins to close in on the truth, the ruthless Vlane–an alpha Fae who makes sex an addiction for human women–closes in on her. And as the boundary between worlds begins to crumble, Mac’s true mission becomes clear: find the elusive Sinsar Dubh before someone else claims the all-powerful Dark Book–because whoever gets to it first holds nothing less than complete control of the very fabric of both worlds in their hands….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:35 -0400)

Mac is stunned to discover that her sister's murder was far more than a random act of violence and resents the awakening of a mysterious ability to sense the Fae and their talismans, a talent that sends her on a quest to find a mystical book of dark power.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible