Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Darkfever

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (1)

3,0581981,858 (3.95)99
    A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (fairypenguin)
    fairypenguin: Another very different, modern take on the Fae.
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (avalon_today, questionablepotato)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest (questionablepotato)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (jennyellen22)
    Glimmerglass by Jenna Black (flemmily)
    flemmily: Darkfever is for adults, and is both darker (violence and othersuch events) and yet fluffier (emotionally) than Glimmerglass. However, both feature plucky heroines making their way in a world that is a weird mix of fairy and human.
    The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams (avalon_today)
    In the Dark of Dreams by Marjorie Liu (questionablepotato)
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (questionablepotato)
    Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (alesi1)

English (197)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  English (200)
Darkfever
3 Stars

Note: This is a review of the audiobook read by Joyce Bean. The narration and accent for Mac are good but Jericho sounds like a crotchety old man rather than a dominant alpha male.

Caveat: I cannot stand the heroine in this book and if the other elements in the story weren't as intriguing as they are, it would have been a DNF.

Review:
OK, I have to get it off my chest. Mac is a vain, insipid, shallow, vacuous, frivolous and vapid twit so preoccupied with her hair, nails, clothes, makeup and iPod that it is amazing she cared about anyone else long enough to seek out her sister's killer. That said, she did begin to grow on me at times, but would almost immediately start in on her wardrobe and my fleeting approval would dissipate in a flash.

Moreover, the nature of the narrative contributes both to my dislike of Mac as well as my difficulty following events in the story. To begin with, Mac rambles on endlessly about anything and everything which had me tuning out every so often and I would have to rewind in order to pick up the narrative thread again. In addition, the non-linear sequencing had me constantly questioning: "what just happened?" or "how the hell did that happen?". Scenes also end abruptly at the conclusion of a chapter and the next chapter opens with a completely unrelated event, and the story is told in flashback with Mac commenting on the outcome of certain events, which detracts from the build up of tension and suspense.

Thankfully, other aspects of the book saved it from the DNF pile. The world building is well-developed, especially the fae who are dark, scary and horrific whether Seelie or Unseelie. The intertextuality is brilliantly interwoven into the story whether it is Celtic myth or references to Harry Potter, and the enigmatic and morally ambiguous Barrons with his dry wit and cutting sarcasm is particularly intriguing.

The plot has potential and the secondary characters are interesting (although the scenes with V'lane are seriously ICKY and made my skin crawl).

All in all, not too bad and I've heard the Mac does improve in the next installments so I will probably continue reading if only to see where things go and to find out who, or what, the mysterious Barrons is. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
3.5 stars

There are moments in my life as a reader when I am kind of scared to read a book/series. Not because of the subject, but because of the number of great things I hear about it. It kind of makes me afraid of being the only one that doesn't exactly like it and like I'm the only one who doesn't get it. I had that fear with Darkfever. Almost every blogger I follow and every person from the reading forums and groups I'm on have read and loved this series. So there was a bit of a pressure when I began reading this book.

The world building is fantastic. I love the history and the way the Fae are described. And I liked that some are hideous like a nightmare. Even I thought they were a little too ugly. But that's good. Again, it's always a good thing to break away from the usual track of things.

Mac was... unique. It's not that I didn't like her, I did. And I liked that she likes nail polish just as much as I do (I'm a girly girl like that *blush*), though I tend to stay with the darker shades myself. I think she's so unique especially because she really is a girly girl. I don't think I've read about a heroine that loves to dress up or wear make up or nail polish so much. I liked that soft side of her. I also liked the fact that she tries to maintain her idea that anything supernatural is just a fairy tale. I liked that she doesn't just get on board with anything, no matter how scary or real things may seem.

The thing I could have done without was the constant "I didn't know it back then, but I would soon find out the truth" thing. Sort of like she's already gone through all that and she's just remembering it. And the more she remembers things, she tries to put two ideas into one. I would've wanted to have this broken into more scenes. Something like "Hey, remember when I said so-and-so did this and that? Well, this is what actually happened". It would be nice to have some more mystery surrounding things and keep me in the dark when it comes to certain aspects of the story. Knowing beforehand that things aren't what they seem makes it a little difficult not to want to jump inside the book and shake Mac a little and tell her the truth about stuff.

Then Barrons came. See, I was sure I would be instantly head-over-heels in love with him. Instead I found him too bossy sometimes and sometimes he kind of pissed me off. Not too much, but enough to want to see Mac smack him. Gibbs' style (on the back of the head for those of you that don't watch NCIS).

The book ended so abruptly I didn't know what hit me. I will be reading Bloodfever, at least to satisfy my curiosity and see if we get some between the sheets action. And maybe Barrons will grow on me. Can't say my opinion about V'Lane, because we haven't seen him so many times yet. Anyway, I'll keep reading. ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
I love this series. It's been a while since I read it for the first time, but I come back to it in my mind all the time. There are few PNR series that can hold a candle to it, honestly, and they know who they are. There are only two series that have given me a serious reading-hangover. This is one. I couldn't pick up another book for weeks, people. Weeks.

That being said, this first book is like most beginnings to a series: meh. Compared to the rest, this is not the one that stands out. But it is where we see most of the main players take the field and events are set in motion. We see Rainbow Mac. We meet Barrons. We see Faeries. We get a glimpse of the darkness that is to come. This is not a light urban fantasy. It gets bleak at times. And I love it.

This really is one of those series that you need to read twice; it is written to reward multiple visits. When you first go through it, there are so many ominous allusions to future events that you just ignore them... Bad stuff happens eventually, OK, I get it. But on a second read... You see how incredibly specific some of those hints really are.

I had been wanting to re-read this series for months, but couldn't find it in myself to halt everything and devote an extended amount of time to a 5 book series. Cause let's be honest... Until I go through them all, I am not picking anything else up. So thank you Litchick for the buddy read!

TLDR: READ IT. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
"3 out of 5 stars. The story is written in a journal aspect, like Mac went through this journey and then is writing it all down afterwards so it'll be documented, you know this since there is a lot of foretelling in how the details are written. I'm not sure if I completely like that or not..."

Read more of this review here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2010/02/sometimes-i-give-myself-creeps... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Aug 16, 2016 |
This was a super easy and fun read; it took me less than a day. I think the story is interesting, and I like that it's set in Dublin. However, Mac is such an annoying character, but I'm guessing she's going to be much more likable in the next books since I started to like her more towards the end. I just wish she wouldn't take so many stupid and immature actions. ( )
  Ahtoosa | Aug 9, 2016 |

Karen Marie Moningprimary authorall editionscalculated
Accornero, FrancoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"… When the walls come tumblin' down
When the walls come crumblin' crumblin' ."
by John Cougar Mellencamp
This one's for Neil, for holding my hand and walking into the Dark Zone with me.
My philosophy is pretty simple—any day nobody's trying to kill me is a good day in my book.
"I said breathe. Not do a fish-out-of-water imitation."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440240980, Mass Market Paperback)

MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman. Or so she thinks…until something extraordinary happens.

When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae….

As Mac delves deeper into the mystery of her sister’s death, her every move is shadowed by the dark, mysterious Jericho, a man with no past and only mockery for a future. As she begins to close in on the truth, the ruthless Vlane–an alpha Fae who makes sex an addiction for human women–closes in on her. And as the boundary between worlds begins to crumble, Mac’s true mission becomes clear: find the elusive Sinsar Dubh before someone else claims the all-powerful Dark Book–because whoever gets to it first holds nothing less than complete control of the very fabric of both worlds in their hands….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

Mac is stunned to discover that her sister's murder was far more than a random act of violence and resents the awakening of a mysterious ability to sense the Fae and their talismans, a talent that sends her on a quest to find a mystical book of dark power.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,663,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible