Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Darkfever

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (1)

3,1062031,820 (3.95)100
    A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (fairypenguin)
    fairypenguin: Another very different, modern take on the Fae.
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (avalon_today, questionablepotato)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest (questionablepotato)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (jennyellen22)
    Glimmerglass by Jenna Black (flemmily)
    flemmily: Darkfever is for adults, and is both darker (violence and othersuch events) and yet fluffier (emotionally) than Glimmerglass. However, both feature plucky heroines making their way in a world that is a weird mix of fairy and human.
    The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams (avalon_today)
    In the Dark of Dreams by Marjorie Liu (questionablepotato)
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (questionablepotato)
    Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (alesi1)

English (201)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (205)
Mac is 22 years old and living with her parents in Georgia. Her sister, Alina, has gone to study for a year in Dublin, but when Mac gets a phone call that Alina has been murdered, her world changes forever. Mac heads to Ireland to find out what happened to Alina, and discovers things about herself, and the world, that she really never wanted to know. There is (literally) a world, a supernatural world, she knew nothing about.

I really liked it. There were even some humorous bits, as Mac is really a girly girl, shoved into this dark supernatural world. Some of the most exciting parts for me were before Mac learned some of the supernatural stuff. Overall, though, I really did enjoy it. It did end on a bit of a cliffhanger, though. If I'm lucky, it won't be too long before I get to book two. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 11, 2017 |
I'm glad that I finally picked this up. It kept my interest and really left me wanting more when it ended. Some of the elements are the same as other fantasy stories that I've read, but it also feels like it has a little something special to it. I like that the female lead isn't head over heels for a guy. She wants answers because of her sister, and she keeps that as her goal. I'll continue the series for sure. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
As for the bad things, I hated Mac. What an annoying character! It was not just that she was more worried about her attire than her life, but everything about her showed she was incredibly stupid. Fortunately, a friend of mine told me she improves as the story goes on, so there's hope for her. Also, the monsters were often childishly described, which bothered me a little, but now I think thats just because Mac describes them and she's too childish.

Other than that, I liked the book, it was very easy to read, the story was quite engaging, I'm curious about where this is going so I'll go read the next one :) ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 13, 2017 |
Darkfever
3 Stars

Note: This is a review of the audiobook read by Joyce Bean. The narration and accent for Mac are good but Jericho sounds like a crotchety old man rather than a dominant alpha male.

Caveat: I cannot stand the heroine in this book and if the other elements in the story weren't as intriguing as they are, it would have been a DNF.

Review:
OK, I have to get it off my chest. Mac is a vain, insipid, shallow, vacuous, frivolous and vapid twit so preoccupied with her hair, nails, clothes, makeup and iPod that it is amazing she cared about anyone else long enough to seek out her sister's killer. That said, she did begin to grow on me at times, but would almost immediately start in on her wardrobe and my fleeting approval would dissipate in a flash.

Moreover, the nature of the narrative contributes both to my dislike of Mac as well as my difficulty following events in the story. To begin with, Mac rambles on endlessly about anything and everything which had me tuning out every so often and I would have to rewind in order to pick up the narrative thread again. In addition, the non-linear sequencing had me constantly questioning: "what just happened?" or "how the hell did that happen?". Scenes also end abruptly at the conclusion of a chapter and the next chapter opens with a completely unrelated event, and the story is told in flashback with Mac commenting on the outcome of certain events, which detracts from the build up of tension and suspense.

Thankfully, other aspects of the book saved it from the DNF pile. The world building is well-developed, especially the fae who are dark, scary and horrific whether Seelie or Unseelie. The intertextuality is brilliantly interwoven into the story whether it is Celtic myth or references to Harry Potter, and the enigmatic and morally ambiguous Barrons with his dry wit and cutting sarcasm is particularly intriguing.

The plot has potential and the secondary characters are interesting (although the scenes with V'lane are seriously ICKY and made my skin crawl).

All in all, not too bad and I've heard the Mac does improve in the next installments so I will probably continue reading if only to see where things go and to find out who, or what, the mysterious Barrons is. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |

Karen Marie Moningprimary authorall editionscalculated
Accornero, FrancoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"… When the walls come tumblin' down
When the walls come crumblin' crumblin' ."
by John Cougar Mellencamp
This one's for Neil, for holding my hand and walking into the Dark Zone with me.
My philosophy is pretty simple—any day nobody's trying to kill me is a good day in my book.
"I said breathe. Not do a fish-out-of-water imitation."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440240980, Mass Market Paperback)

MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman. Or so she thinks…until something extraordinary happens.

When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae….

As Mac delves deeper into the mystery of her sister’s death, her every move is shadowed by the dark, mysterious Jericho, a man with no past and only mockery for a future. As she begins to close in on the truth, the ruthless Vlane–an alpha Fae who makes sex an addiction for human women–closes in on her. And as the boundary between worlds begins to crumble, Mac’s true mission becomes clear: find the elusive Sinsar Dubh before someone else claims the all-powerful Dark Book–because whoever gets to it first holds nothing less than complete control of the very fabric of both worlds in their hands….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

Mac is stunned to discover that her sister's murder was far more than a random act of violence and resents the awakening of a mysterious ability to sense the Fae and their talismans, a talent that sends her on a quest to find a mystical book of dark power.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,498,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible