HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning
Loading...

Darkfever

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Fever (1)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
2,9441911,953 (3.96)97
  1. 70
    A Kiss Of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (fairypenguin)
    fairypenguin: Another very different, modern take on the Fae.
  2. 70
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (avalon_today, questionablepotato)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
  3. 30
    Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest (questionablepotato)
  4. 20
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (jennyellen22)
  5. 20
    Glimmerglass by Jenna Black (flemmily)
    flemmily: Darkfever is for adults, and is both darker (violence and othersuch events) and yet fluffier (emotionally) than Glimmerglass. However, both feature plucky heroines making their way in a world that is a weird mix of fairy and human.
  6. 10
    The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams (avalon_today)
  7. 10
    In the Dark of Dreams by Marjorie M. Liu (questionablepotato)
  8. 00
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (questionablepotato)
  9. 01
    Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (alesi1)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 97 mentions

English (190)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (193)
Showing 1-5 of 190 (next | show all)
First of all, this is a re-read for me. I read it first in February of last year, but wasn't writing reviews back then.
I love this series. I find the main character to be a strong female and I love that. She starts out very materialistic and "woe is me" but even through that is determined to right wrongs and figure things out for herself rather than sit around and cry. She's brave. Then we have the male lead character...I LOVE him! Barrons is sexy and mysterious and smart and pretty much makes me swoon. This first installment draws you in with death, secrets, mystery and then a whole world of supernatural that Mac didn't even know existed. It kept me intrigued and reading until the very last page. Great work KMM! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
MacKayla Lane, 22 Jahre jung und aus einem kleinen, ländlichen Ort in den Südstaaten, ist eigentlich eine ganz normale, junge Frau. Sie liebt Musik, interessiert sich für Mode und liebt ihre Schwester Alina, welche in Dublin studiert. Pink ist genau ihre Farbe, sie ist ein echtes Girly.

Ihre Welt zerbricht als sie einen Anruf erhält und mitgeteilt bekommt, dass ihr geliebte Schwester bestialisch ermordet wurde. Nachdem MacKayla eine verwirrende Nachricht ihrer Schwester auf ihrer Mailbox entdeckt und die Polizei vor Ort den Fall zu den Akten legt, steht ihr Entschluss fest: sie reißt nach Dublin und wird den Tod ihrer Schwester aufklären und rächen.

Diese Entscheidung wird ihr Leben komplett umwerfen - Nichts wird mehr so sein wie es mal war. Warum verwandeln sich bildhübsche Männer in schaurige Monster? Was hat die mysteriöse Nachricht ihrer Schwester zu bedeuten?

Meine Meinung:

Oh, es ist so spannend und fesselnd, gleich von Anfang an! Moning versteht es, ihren Figuren Leben einzuhauchen. Sie lässt uns an Mac's heiler Welt teilhaben und genauso an dem Moment, in dem sie vom Tod ihrer geliebten Schwester erfährt. Sie hat es geschafft, dass sogar ich traurig war - und das kommt nicht allzu oft vor.

Sie beschreibt den verzweifelten Kampf einer liebenden Schwester, die einen Mord aufklären will und in eine Welt kommt, die ihr vorher gänzlich unbekannt war. Langsam tastet sie sich vor und lernt den Buchhändler Jerricho Barrons kennen, welcher ihr von nun an zur Seite steht. Barrons führt sie ein in eine Welt voller Feen, Magie, ungeahnten Gefahren und Dingen, von denen sie vorher nicht mal wusste das es sie gibt. Außerdem ist da noch Alina's Geheimnis, welchem Mac auf die Spur kommen muss. Ein Kampf gegen das Böse beginnt!

Der Leser erlebt dies alles hautnah, erzählt in der Ich-Form. Moning hat eine phantasievolle Welt erschaffen, die sie geschickt mit der Heutigen kombiniert. Mehr noch, sie schafft es, diese Welt im Kopf des Lesers aufblühen zulassen.

Punktabzug gibt es, weil mir die Dialoge teilweise zu flapsig sind. Wenn Mac und Barrons Unterhaltungen führten, wirkte das auf mich teilweise sehr gestellt. Außerdem ist der Titel nicht wirklich passend; einen Vampir trifft man auf ca. 10 Seiten des Buches. Der Originaltitel, Darkfever, passt einfach viel besser zu dieser düsteren Geschichte. Jedoch mindern diese Punkte den Lesespaß minimal.

Noch ein kleiner Tip: Solltet ihr mit all den neuen Begriffen nicht zurechtkommen, ist am Ende des Buches ein Auszug aus Mac's Tagebuch zu finden. Hier kann man alle Begriffe nochmals nachlesen, was ich als sehr hilfreich empfand. ( )
  Wandapanda | Mar 13, 2016 |
I'm still getting to know this author and I'm very intrigued by the world she's created. The book had a bit of a YA feel and was very much like Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets the Fae, but it was alright. I liked Mac, but I wanted more substance and strength to her character. I'm hoping as I get into the next books she matures a bit. Barrons is an interesting individual and I'm curious to find out exactly who and what he is.

The writing style in the book was easy enough to follow, but at times bordered on info dumping. I think it is more a case of "first-in-seriesitis" than the actual writing. Moning does a great job of creating fascinating worlds in her Highlander series. Considering this book ended without any resolution, I think the best is yet to come. I'll continue the series. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
The entire series was given to me a couple of months ago by a friend. I have read books with Celtic themes and "fae" creatures, but never anything like this. It is much darker than I imagined. It also took some time to get the characters, Irish terms, and relationship figured out. The female lead "Mackayla Lane" is a wonderful character - funny, tough, naive, vulnerable, and determined. The male lead "Jericho Barrons" is powerful, dark, good looking and enigmatic. Much of the book "Mac" is trying to determine if he is a friend or an enemy. I hope the next book explores this character and his relationships further! The plot is fairly straight forward - find the killer and save the world - yet it is not as simple to accomplish as it would orginally seem. I look forward to reading the next book in the series! ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 28, 2016 |
4.5 Stars. How did I miss this series until now???! Wow! Great book - sucked me in completely; I couldn't put it down. The story was compelling and NOT one of the standard story lines for a paranormal novel; the characters were very interesting. My only complaint - it ended too abruptly. I can't wait to read book 2, where I hope more will be explained (particularly about Jericho)... ( )
  Booklover889 | Feb 25, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 190 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
"… When the walls come tumblin' down
When the walls come crumblin' crumblin' ."
by John Cougar Mellencamp
Dedication
This one's for Neil, for holding my hand and walking into the Dark Zone with me.
First words
My philosophy is pretty simple—any day nobody's trying to kill me is a good day in my book.
Quotations
"I said breathe. Not do a fish-out-of-water imitation."
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440240980, Mass Market Paperback)

MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman. Or so she thinks…until something extraordinary happens.

When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae….

As Mac delves deeper into the mystery of her sister’s death, her every move is shadowed by the dark, mysterious Jericho, a man with no past and only mockery for a future. As she begins to close in on the truth, the ruthless Vlane–an alpha Fae who makes sex an addiction for human women–closes in on her. And as the boundary between worlds begins to crumble, Mac’s true mission becomes clear: find the elusive Sinsar Dubh before someone else claims the all-powerful Dark Book–because whoever gets to it first holds nothing less than complete control of the very fabric of both worlds in their hands….


From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

(see all 4 descriptions)

Mac is stunned to discover that her sister's murder was far more than a random act of violence and resents the awakening of a mysterious ability to sense the Fae and their talismans, a talent that sends her on a quest to find a mystical book of dark power.… (more)

» see all 7 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
8 avail.
172 wanted
4 pay13 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.96)
0.5 4
1 15
1.5 3
2 63
2.5 10
3 192
3.5 44
4 366
4.5 36
5 358

Audible.com

3 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible