This Kind of War: A Study in Unpreparedness…

This Kind of War: A Study in Unpreparedness (1963)

by T. R. Fehrenbach

Updated with maps, photographs, and battlefield diagrams, this special fiftieth anniversary edition of the classic history of the Korean War is a dramatic and hard-hitting account of the conflict written from the perspective of those who fought it. Partly drawn from official records, operations journals, and histories, it is based largely on the compelling personal narratives of the small-unit commanders and their troops. Unlike any other work on the Korean War, it provides both a clear panoramic overview and a sharply drawn "you were there" account of American troops in fierce combat against the North Korean and Chinese communist invaders. As Americans and North Koreans continue to face each other across the 38th Parallel, This Kind of War commemorates the past and offers vital lessons for the future.… (more)

An excellent (and detailed history) of the Korean War (my father fought there), yet the effort would have been more appreciated had the author not marbled the book so heavily with opinions blaming a permissive society for a sub-par US fighting force.

The ranting does nothing to further the book, and the author doesn't support his assertions.

The rest of the books is first-rate. ( )
  TCWriter | Mar 31, 2013 |
Simply put, the most well researched and written account of the Forgotten War available. ( )
  JEldredge | May 3, 2010 |
One of the best accounts of the war. Well written with both strategic, tactical and individual stories told. ( )
  GeoKaras | Jan 8, 2010 |
excellent primer and refresher of the Korean war. ( )
  JayTheMagnificent | Jul 4, 2008 |
I was first introduced to this book while serving in Korea. It was a different book in the sense that it told the story of the war from the individual's point of view. The author is not some historian reconstructing events from news clippings and war reports in a library somewhere. He was actually there. The author describes the terrain, sounds, and smells as one who spent a considerable amount of time there. We have so many books on Vietnam and World War 2, and yet the Korean war/conflict is often forgotten. This book reminds us of the amount of men lost on both sides. I thought the author was fair in his treatment of Douglas MacArthur and President Truman in the book. You can tell he was a bit disturbed by the fact that we lost as many men waiting for the politicians to work things out diplomatically as we did during the initial combat operations and rightfully so. It's a shame that we didn't end up with a unified Korea after the Chinese were pushed back across the Yalu. We could have prevented the devastating rule of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il.

The author ends this book with some of the most moving words I have ever read. This book does justice to all the veterans who fought and died in the Korean war. I highly recommend it. ( )
  MatthewN | Jan 20, 2008 |

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,946,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible