Gender Queer: A Memoir (2019)

by Maia Kobabe

20619100,843 (4.32)15
In 2014, Maia Kobabe, who uses e/em/eir pronouns,thought that a comic of reading statistics would be the last autobiographicalcomic e would ever write. At the time, it was the only thing e felt comfortablewith strangers knowing about em. Now, Gender Queer is here. Maia's intenselycathartic autobiography charts eir journey of self-identity, which includes themortification and confusion of adolescent crushes, grappling with how to comeout to family and society, bonding with friends over erotic gay fanfiction, andfacing the trauma and fundamental violation of pap smears. Started as a way toexplain to eir family what it means to be nonbinary and asexual, Gender Queer ismore than a personal story: it is a useful and touching guide on genderidentity--what it means and how to think about it--for advocates,friends, and humans everywhere.  … (more)

Great insiders account that any inquisitive individual would enjoy. Any age could read this and gather more experience on the subject than reading a professional account. It will answer many of your "queeries" around the current gender discussion. Nice work Maia! ( )
  DouglasDuff | Jun 21, 2021 |
That was so, so good. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
As a queer bibliophile i really connected with this book even though I am not gender queer. It was very interesting to see the parallels in our lives while they were so different. I feel like this book helped me understand more about myself while not specifically talking about my experiences all while being a very good book. It’s very well written and drawn and I absolutely loved it. ( )
  mrortiz | Jun 7, 2021 |
I struggle to fully understand non-binary and genderqueer identification, but this book nudged me a little further towards comprehension. It is charming, honest, and relatable. There's nothing quite like having someone tell their own story, in their own words. I love the artwork, which is straightforward yet very expressive. Some pages are simply breathtaking. This book is an excellent use of the graphic novel / comix form. ( )
  RandyRasa | Jun 2, 2021 |
I absolutely devoured Maia Kobabe's story. Eir art is beautiful. Eir story is powerful. I had seen individual panels online and I am so thrilled to have finally read the book. ( )
  BiDisasterNerd | May 22, 2021 |
Do you have everything?

Checklist category/categories: Written by an author with an underrepresented identity (i.e. LGBTQ, female, disabled, or a person of color

Title: GenderQueer

Author or Creator: Maia Kobabe

Publisher and number of pages/length of time: Oni Press, 240 pages

Year of publication/release: 2019

Your brief response to the title - Maia explains eir story about gender identity, love, and loss in eir 2014 memoir. This story is all about self discovery and taking the time to learn about who you really are.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,238,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible