A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon

A Bad Case of Stripes (1998)

by David Shannon

In order to ensure her popularity, Camilla Cream always does what is expected, until the day arrives when she no longer recognizes herself.
    Suki's Kimono by Chieri Uegaki (beelrami)
    beelrami: Both books are about being yourself on the first day of school but the girls go through different journeys.
    Imogene's Antlers by David Small (conuly)
    Chocolatina by Erik Kraft (infiniteletters)
    The Big Orange Splot by D. Manus Pinkwater (conuly)

English (369)  Spanish (1)  All languages (370)
Oh I love that book! It is so funny. -- quote from my 6yo. Her kindergarten teacher read this book to their class during kindergarten.

I thought it wasn't bad -- picture book teaching a "be true to thyself" message. The kid won't admit she likes lima beans, because all the other kids say they're gross -- her inability to stand up to peer pressure leads her to become literally, as well as metaphorically, chameleon-like. When she develops the gumption to admit her love of lima beans she goes back to her normal non-stripey self.

Useful for all kids, I think, dealing with new social pressures encountered as they move into school.
  adaq | Dec 25, 2019 |
This book is a very easy and light hearted read. It has a good story line as well. The theme of this book is loving yourself and being happy no matter what other people's opinions are. I think this is a great book for young children to be exposed too. ( )
  Hannahborne | Nov 21, 2019 |
Camilla Cream thought what other people thought of her and just wanted to fit in. When she became covered in stripes after trying on every outfit in her closet she was relived she wouldn't have to go to school. The next day she turned into whatever pattern the other children called out. She was stripes, starts, polk-a-dots and more. When Camilla wasn't allowed back at school becuase the other kids didn't want to be sick, she felt every more left out and alone. Doctors tried coming up with solutions to help her, but nothing helped. "A Bad Case of Stripes" was all fixed by being herself and eating lima beans, which she didn't want anyone knowing she liked. This book is a great way for children to learn adn know that its okay to be youself and you need to be yourself otherwise you wont like yourself. You can't care what other people think about you is valued lesson that young readers should know growing up. ( )
  mfount1 | Oct 3, 2019 |
Camilla Cream likes lima beans, but when she gets made fun of for liking them, she gets embarrassed and tells her family that she no longer wants to eat them. She then breaks out with stripes. The doctors however cannot find anything wrong with her so her mother still makes her go to school. Camilla’s classmates discover that whenever they yell out colors or designs she turns into whatever they have yelled out. Camilla discovers the only cure to actually eat what others make fun of her for, and when she does she turns back into regular old Camilla. I very much enjoyed this book for three reasons and the first reason is that I believe the illustrations were out of this world! They represent the text perfectly and put images in the reader’s head that are beyond imaginable. Since the illustrations are so powerful and lively, it is also a great book to teach young readers how to match words to pictures. This will help better the comprehension of the story for the young readers since it gives them that image in case they are not able to imagine the story in their head. Second, other than the illustrations, I love that the message of this story is about being yourself, and being comfortable in your own skin. It also contains real meaning that we can all relate to. For example, the book contains a message that teaches its readers about the struggles to conform, dealing with peer pressure and the importance of being kind to one another. Also, the moral of the story about being yourself is greatly defined here when Camilla goes through more awkward transformations when she does not admit that she loves lima beans. This story teaches people that no matter what anyone says about you, you should always be yourself no matter what. Lastly, this story uses humor in a way that is fun for young readers. You will see many funny and unrealistic images of Camilla throughout the story, such as crazy colorful patterns on her skin to the shape of a multicolored pill. ( )
  ateste1 | Oct 2, 2019 |
In my opinion, this is a great book as it teaches the readers to be comfortable with who they are and to not let societal expectations or pressures change them into someone they are not. Besides the main message, I liked this book for two reasons. The first reason why I liked this book was because of the illustrations. The illustrations correlate with the text so well. For example, the text “Suddenly fuzzy little virus balls appeared all over Camilla...Out popped squiggly little bacteria tails...covered with different colored fungus blotches” matches the illustration on the next page so well as it included the fuzzy virus balls, squiggly bacteria tails, as well as multicolored fungus blotches all over Camilla just like how the text had described her. Since the illustrations fit the written text so well it managed to enhance the story by converting the colorful descriptions into more colorful pictures. Another reason I enjoyed this book was because of the plot. In particular, the plot’s tension. The tension in the plot was crafted well when “the experts didn't have a clue, much less a cure” even after running various experiments and tests on Camilla. I believe the tension among the doctors, Camilla, and her family was built well as it engaged me as the reader to want to keep reading to see if Camilla ever got cured and how she got cured. ( )
  Mting1 | Sep 10, 2019 |
To my wife, Heidi; and to my friend and teacher, Philip Hays, a.k.a. “Uncle Legend”
Camilla Cream loved lima beans.

K-Grade 2: Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but she never eats them. Why? Because the other kids in her school don't like them. And Camilla Cream is very, very worried about what other people think of her. In fact, she's so worried that she's about to break out in...a bad case of stripes!"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,517,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible