A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon

A Bad Case of Stripes (1998)

by David Shannon

2,6822032,211 (4.33)12
    Suki's Kimono by Chieri Uegaki (beelrami)
    beelrami: Both books are about being yourself on the first day of school but the girls go through different journeys.
    Imogene's Antlers by David Small (conuly)
    Chocolatina by Erik Kraft (infiniteletters)
    The Big Orange Splot by D. Manus Pinkwater (conuly)

My daughter is in 1st grade (age 6) and is TERRIFIED of this book. I realize it is very, very popular but my daughter has a great imagination and now she is very scared of eating orange, green, and blue foods. She pretty much only eats pink/red and white foods now.

We got this book as a gift from my father when she was 4 and it scared her. We asked her preschool class to put it behind other books so she wouldn't see it in the book area (if she did see it, she wouldn't go near it). In kindergarten we warned her teacher and it wasn't an issue. Now in 1st grade I have warned her new teacher however I know it is in the classroom and she is scared of it. Today the principal read the first half during lunchtime and she covered her ears but could not block the sound. She is dreading lunchtime tomorrow when he will finish the book (and go through the part where the girl is all stripes).

(She ended up eating lunch in the school office that day so she wouldn't have to hear the story.)

SO if you have a sensitive child like I do, I urge some caution with this book. Never mind the author's intended message, some kids will be freaked out by the possibility of foods causing them to change colors and may suffer anxiety for months, or years, to come. ( )
  Icepacklady | Jun 3, 2015 |
A cute story to teach students individuality and identity. A great story for elementary students to read.
  NiinaMariie | May 11, 2015 |
Great book! A little long for younger grades but the pictures are beautiful and this book could be incorporated into many lessons.
  kes030 | Apr 30, 2015 |
This book encourages children to eat their vegetables and not give into what others are doing. There is no reason to care what others think of you. ( )
  Kelsly93 | Apr 30, 2015 |
The message shows that you should not care what others think of you. Be yourself and don't hide who you really are. The book could be used in Kindergarten through 3rd grade focusing on classroom behavior, identity, and individuality.
  biancagrhm | Apr 29, 2015 |
To my wife, Heidi; and to my friend and teacher, Philip Hays, a.k.a. “Uncle Legend”
Camilla Cream loved lima beans.

K-Grade 2: Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but she never eats them. Why? Because the other kids in her school don't like them. And Camilla Cream is very, very worried about what other people think of her. In fact, she's so worried that she's about to break out in...a bad case of stripes!"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale.

Let Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences-laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Eight classic, best-selling titles are available now!

Category: Making Friends
"What we have here is a bad case of stripes. One of the worst I've ever seen!"

"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale."-Kirkus Reviews, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

In order to ensure her popularity, Camilla Cream always does what is expected, until the day arrives when she no longer recognizes herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,947,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible