A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon

A Bad Case of Stripes (1998)

by David Shannon

2,5921922,306 (4.33)11
Recently added bykalbach, alycombs, private library, shaberstroh, JasRochelle, uufco, Pauquachin, kpollmannn

Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but will not eat them because she thinks she will be made fun of. While Camila was getting ready for school she took one look in the mirror and found that her skin was completely covered with colorful stripes. Her parents immediately called the doctor. She was given medicine and told she would be able to return to school the next day. However, she did not get better. At school she was such a distraction that she was asked to stay home for good this time. Any thing someone said her skin reflected, once during the pledge of allegiance she turned red, white, and blue, with stars and stripes. After seeing many medical experts and scientist she was tired and only getting worse. Finally, one person shows up at the house with a cure, a bowl of lima beans. This is exactly what Camilla needed. From that day on she ate lima beans whenever she wanted and never had another had another bad case of stripes.
The two things that made this book really enjoyable were the theme of the story and the pictures. It encourages children to do what makes them happy and always be themselves. The pictures are very bright and colorful cover to cover.
This book could be used in classroom to teach how it is okay to be different. Also I would have them create a picture of themselves with a bad case of stripes.
  JasRochelle | Mar 25, 2015 |
This book is a colorful and wild story about a girl who wants to fit in. In the ends the moral of the story is you are special just the way you are. This is always one of my classrooms favorite books. It makes them think about times when they were afraid to be their own person.
  kamijake | Mar 11, 2015 |
I love this book! This was my mother's favorite book to read to me. She was just like Camilla, the main character in the story who LOVED lima beans. My mother would read this story to me and we would have so much fun. The pictures are almost just as important as the text of the story. They give great detail to what was happening to Camilla and the many colors, patterns, and shapes Camilla was turning into. They were so fun for me to look at. Another thing I liked in this story were the characters. The main character was Camilla, who in the beginning of the story, was worried about what other people thought of her. She was worried about how she looked and what she ate. By the end of the story, she was eating her lima beans proudly, no matter what other people thought. ( )
  tbarne9 | Mar 5, 2015 |
Summary:
A young girl, Camilla, wakes up one day and discovers that she is cover in colorful stripes. The book follows a couple days in her life where she discovers the stripes change colors and shapes and doctors are baffled. It all boils down to eating vegetables and being yourself.

Personal Reaction:
I remember this book from when I was younger. I liked the presentation of the material and most certainly remember hating Lima Beans with a passion because of their evil power.

Class Extension:
Maybe talk to the kids about eating the vegetables, or how teasing one another is not nice or fun. ( )
  TimothyOtotivo77 | Mar 3, 2015 |
Camilla loved lima beans but did not eat them because no one else did. Before school looked in mirror and looked like a rainbow. Went to school and everybody laughed at her. Cured when she finally ate lima beans again. ( )
  Brennanako | Mar 3, 2015 |
To my wife, Heidi; and to my friend and teacher, Philip Hays, a.k.a. “Uncle Legend”
Camilla Cream loved lima beans.

K-Grade 2: Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but she never eats them. Why? Because the other kids in her school don't like them. And Camilla Cream is very, very worried about what other people think of her. In fact, she's so worried that she's about to break out in...a bad case of stripes!"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale.

Let Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences-laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Eight classic, best-selling titles are available now!

Category: Making Friends
"What we have here is a bad case of stripes. One of the worst I've ever seen!"

"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale."-Kirkus Reviews, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:36 -0400)

In order to ensure her popularity, Camilla Cream always does what is expected, until the day arrives when she no longer recognizes herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,271,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible