The Art of Theft (The Lady Sherlock Series…

The Art of Theft (The Lady Sherlock Series Book 4)

by Sherry Thomas

"As "Sherlock Holmes, consulting detective," Charlotte Holmes has solved murders and found missing individuals. But she has never stolen a priceless artwork--or rather, made away with the secrets hidden behind a much-coveted canvas. But Mrs. Watson is desperate to help her old friend recover those secrets and Charlotte finds herself involved in a fever-paced scheme to infiltrate a glamorous Yuletide ball where the painting is one handshake away from being sold and the secrets a bare breath from exposure. Her dear friend Lord Ingram, her sister Livia, Livia's admirer Stephen Marbleton--everyone pitches in to help and everyone has a grand time. But nothing about this adventure is what it seems and disaster is biding time on the grounds of a glittering French chateau, waiting only for Charlotte to make a single mistake."--… (more)
Recently added bygrmachine, private library, andrew.j.stephens, miyyu, teachlz, sue222, kmmirobelli

Linda's Book Obsession Reviews "The Art of Theft" by Sherry Thomas, Berkley Publishing, Oct. 15,2019.

Sherry Thomas, author of "The Art of Theft" has written a unique and entertaining Victorian Historical Mystery. This is a take on "Sherlock Holmes" with Charlotte Holmes acting in the feminine version, with her sister and her friends, Mrs. Watson, Lord Ingram, and Stephen Marbleton, who seems to be hiding from an enemy.. The author describes her dramatic characters as complex and complicated.

Mrs. Watson has a dignified royal friend who seeks Sherlock Holmes help, not realizing that Charlotte is the one that is very intuitive. Mrs. Watson's friend needs important certain secret papers back and decides to let Charlotte and friends help her. This involves possibly stealing Art or other items that might be hiding these papers during a reception at a fancy mansion. There are twists and turns, secrets, betrayals, blackmail, and threats of murder. Charlotte and her crew are entering at their own risk and danger. It seems there are other interested parties who want this painting and information as well.

There are other books in this series, and truthfully, I was somewhat confused at the beginning of the book about the relationships involved. I did feel a loss and was a little confused at the beginning of the story. I had no idea when I chose this book to read that it was part of a continuing series. I would say that reading the other books would be beneficial. After finishing the story, I would go back and read the other books. Fortunately, the mystery and suspense do get better, and I enjoyed the conclusion of the story. I would recommend this take on "Sherlock Holmes" for readers who enjoy historical mysteries. ( )
  teachlz | Oct 15, 2019 |
Series: Lady Sherlock #4
Publication Date: 10/15/19
Number of Pages: 304

Sherry Thomas has done the impossible as far as I am concerned. I am never a fan of re-worked, re-vamped, reimagined lives of fictional characters – except – this author has created a clever, absorbing, fast-paced, interesting newly imagined Sherlock Holmes and I am in awe. The series maintains the shadowy, misty, shivery mood of the original Sherlock series while imbuing it with a bit of humor and showing how women chafe under the societal strictures of the times. The series is filled with mysteries that are filled with unexpected twists and turns, vile villains and yes, of course, romance.

As with all of the earlier books, there are a lot of people populating this book as well as a lot going on. Several romances at different stages, several mysteries and many people at different stages of life and choices. As always, Moriarty is the overarching villain of the book and the series. For me personally, I hope Moriarty is wrapped up fairly quickly and doesn’t haunt all of the books, characters and romances. Yes, I know he was the original Sherlock Holmes nemesis, but since this is a reimagined Sherlock, why can’t he be resolved within the first five or six books?

Sherlock Holmes received a request for a consultation from “A Traveler From Distant Lands”. However, once the person appears for the consultation and realizes that Sherlock is bedridden, she declines to employ him. Later, we discover that the person was a very close friend from Mrs. Watson’s past and she’s really desperate. The client, the Maharani of Ajmer, is being blackmailed by someone who is holding letters that could cause her and her small kingdom a lot of trouble and embarrassment. The letters are hidden behind a Van Dyck painting in the French chateau, Vaudrieu. It seems that the Maharani needs a cat burglar rather than a mystery solver. However, no matter the risk, Mrs. Watson cannot refuse her old friend.

As Charlotte and company investigate, they learn there is much more to the Chateau Vaudrieu than they originally thought. There are plots within plots and very real danger to Charlotte and her friends. When Lady Ingram shows up, we add yet another layer of intrigue to the mystery – not to mention the nasty Moriarty making an appearance. There are so many twists and turns that your head will spin, but our intrepid Charlotte is, as always, up to the challenge.

When we closed the last book, I thought things with Charlotte and Ash would be moving forward quickly, but in this book, they seem to have regressed and are sort of each in their own little worlds again. We also see the romance between Livia and Stephen grow, but it is going to be a very rocky road for the two of them I’m sure.

The set-up for the next book was well done and leaves you breathlessly waiting for the next episode. Excellently done!

BTW -- I would recommend reading the series in its entirety rather than reading this book as a stand-alone. If not the entire series, then at least read the first book in the series prior to this one. Otherwise, you just won't understand - and probably won't like -- Charlotte.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. ( )
  BarbaraRogers | Oct 3, 2019 |
There is nothing I love more than reading stories that have elaborate cons in them and The Art of Theft had a doozy in it! In this story, Mrs. Watson’s past becomes part of the present with the re-introduction of a person that she knew many years ago. It was a rather scandalous history but with a parting that left Mrs. Watson feeling regretful. When Mrs. Watson learned that her friend was in need of assistance, given this chance to help her friend, she wanted nothing more. Charlotte was, of course, supportive of Mrs. Watson’s desire, although she did caution her as to the challenges but in the end, Charlotte was willing to help Mrs. Watson.

Given the extent of what they were being tasked with, Charlotte and Watson knew they would need to rely on more than just their skills and deduction abilities. To that end, they had to bring a few friends into their confidence in order to even have a prayer of retrieving the priceless piece of art work that they have been tasked with obtaining. What seemed like a monumental task from the start grew in size when it became apparent to all involved that there was more at stake than was first explained and that they were all in grave danger. With everything to lose and little to gain, Charlotte, Watson, and companions were faced with incredible odds and, for one of them, a blow so dreadful that death would have been more kind.

The Art of Theft started out at a good pace and picked up speed to end in a race against the clock. I loved every single minute! I appreciated that there was a greater emphasis on Mrs. Watson, her past, and her heart. She shocked me ever so much and I liked that she had a second chance to amend a piece of her past that she felt regret for. Surprisingly, Charlotte was not her customary self in this story and both she and Lord Ingram spent time with self-reflection. Their relationship had indeed changed due to the actions taken in the previous book, The Hollow of Fear, and they were both in a state of consideration of where things could or should go between them. My fingers are crossed for something magical but you never know with the always logical Charlotte. Also, I think Charlotte has a delicious secret that was possibly hinted at during this story! I could be wrong, ha ha ha, but I think I am right. With that in mind and with the way that The Art of Theft ended, I am very much looking forward to reading the next installment in the Lady Sherlock series!

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from NetGalley. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Oct 2, 2019 |
Fascinating Holmesian mystery!

Such a complex and rewarding story that explores the Holmsian genre and all it's accoutrements in a brilliant fashion.
Charlotte Holmes is an usual person, focused, brilliant, capable of ingenious guile, a freethinker with a much vaunted love of sweet things. The descriptions of her measures in the face of the dreaded approach of Maximum Tolerable Chins, the sensuality with which she regards deserts just serve to enhance her quirkiness.
Charlotte, Lady Sherlock is asked by fabulous Mrs. Watson to help solve a problem for an old friend. That request opens memory doors for Mrs. Watson, and danger and intrigue for all.
Their quest takes Charlotte, Mrs. Watson, and Lord Ingham, along with her sister Livia and Stephen Marbleton to Paris and beyond. A famous private annual Art auction and a glittering ball held at a heavily guarded chateau is where their attention is centered.
What they find goes way beyond what any of them expect, except perhaps Charlotte. Devastating discoveries are made, some impacting the now and some stretching into the future. Every minute reading was tantalizing.
This grand Victorian mystery not only beckons but delivers!

A Berkley Group ARC via NetGalley ( )
  eyes.2c | Oct 1, 2019 |
The Art of Theft by Sherry Thomas is Historical Mystery Fiction. In this series, each book stands on its own but for complete understanding and enjoyment reading the entire series in order is helpful. Charlotte Holmes is a Detective in Victorian England and an exciting independent woman of her era. Miss Holmes has thrilling cases and adventures in each book and this new book is no exception. Holmes methods like her namesake are very unusual. I love the intricate plans and plots that are slowly revealed. Each character is complex and their relationships to other characters can be surprising. If you love intrigue, romance and remarkable mysteries read the book and the series.
I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. I appreciate the opportunity and thank the author and publisher for allowing me to read, enjoy and review this book ( )
  CassiesBooksReader | Sep 25, 2019 |

Sherry Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,918,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible