Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott

Eight Cousins (1875)

by Louisa May Alcott

Series: Eight Cousins (1)

Rose in Bloom by Louisa May Alcott (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Rose in Bloom is the sequel to Eight Cousins.
    They Loved to Laugh by Kathryn Worth (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: similar situation of an orphan girl being raised in a family of boys
    Jack and Jill by Louisa May Alcott (HollyMS)

his is a morality tale, showing young girls of the late 19th century what virtue looks like.

And while many of the lessons remain true today – kindness, sacrifice, avoiding bad company and harmful habits like smoking – I struggled with this book.

The heroine Rose is so darn good she sets my teeth on edge. I sincerely thought about abandoning this, but then read the Wikipedia entry and learned that this book was considered quite feminist in its day for encouraging comfortable clothing and outdoor exercise as well as a wealthy young lady wanting to have an occupation to fall back on– which, tear my hair out - turned out to be housekeeping.

I'm glad to have read it as the only other Alcott I've read was Little Women and, from my first reading of it in 5th grade, I was firmly on Team Jo.

This book is not for the rebels at heart. ( )
  streamsong | Mar 15, 2019 |
Lovely as always. I read and reread this so many times that, despite not having looked at it in probably 20 or 30 years, I remembered most of the events as they came up. Of course, that's helped by the fact that it's utterly predictable - Rose really doesn't go in for twists. It's a sweet story; the style is old-fashioned (not unexpectedly - originally published in 1875), but unlike several other books I've read recently, Alcott doesn't obtrude herself into the story excessively. The characters are solid, the language slightly odd but not very, the situations quite familiar - people don't change all that much - and while there is a strong moral message, it's transmitted through and by the characters, rather than by straight preaching. Glad I read it again, I won't wait as long next time. ( )
1 vote jjmcgaffey | Nov 3, 2018 |
Sweet story of an orphan with seven cousins being taken care of by her uncle. He encourages her to run, jump and play; not to be lady like. ( )
  nx74defiant | Sep 30, 2018 |
This was sweet, but nostalgia aside, not exciting enough for me to give it more than a 3 (sorry, Louisa!)

It was a tantalizing mix of terribly old-fashioned attitudes (often without the author/characters realising that, and why should they, they were the prevailing attitudes at the time and for a good deal longer) and more modern approaches (which is the apparent point of the book). Unfortunately, very little happened ... I expect more of a compelling through-line in a novel, rather than this gentle depictions of uneventful picnics, dinners, chats, lessons, etc.

Good as comfort reading if you're sad/sick/tired, but otherwise you will likely be more engaged elsewhere.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
This is only the second Louisa May Alcott book I've read, but I enjoyed it quite a bit more than Little Women. I definitely want to read the sequel. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |

Ives, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitland, SaraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Price, Hattie LongstreetIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richards, Harriet RooseveltIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the many boys and girls whose letters it has been impossible to answer, this book is dedicated as a peace offering by their friend L.M. Alcott
Rose sat all alone in the big best parlor, with her little handkerchief laid ready to catch the first tear, for she was thinking of her troubles, and a shower was expected.

When orphaned Rose Campbell first meets her seven exuberant boy cousins she is overwhelmed. But her guardian, bachelor Uncle Alec, plans to turn this pale and sickly creature into a healthy, happy young woman. A formidable tribe of aunts watches closely as Alec puts into practice his unconventional ideas for the education of their niece. Gradually, through his guidance, and the multifarious scrapes she gets into with her cousins, Rose acquires courage, generosity and independence. Here, Louisa May Alcott gives a fascinating account of Victorian notions of girlhood, criticising much that she saw as silly and repressive. And, with her narrative zest and lively characterisation, creates a spirited portrait of her heroine's development.

After the death of her father, orphan Rose Campbell has no choice but to go and live at the 'Aunt Hill' with her six aunts and seven boy cousins. For someone who was used to a girl's boarding school, it all seems pretty overwhelming, especially since her guardian Uncle Alec makes her eat healthy things like oatmeal, and even tries to get her to give up her pretty dresses for more drab, sensible clothes. Will Rose ever get used to her Uncle's strange ideas and all her noisy relatives? Will there come a day when she can't imagine living anywhere else?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

Orphaned Rose Campbell finds it difficult to fit in when she goes to live with her six aunts and seven mischievous boy cousins.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible