Step Across This Line: Collected Nonfiction…

Step Across This Line: Collected Nonfiction 1992-2002

by Salman Rushdie

Recently added bydooney, James.Danzl.III, sangreal, private library, rdai, gargoylejt, adelavoe, Dureo, akatz

Why didn't I read Salman Rushdie sooner?? The first essay in this collection sold me on him immediately. It's a fun, interesting discussion of The Wizard of Oz, his experience with the movie, the making of the movie, its symbolism...

My favourite quote:
"What [Dorothy] embodies . . . is the human dream of leaving, a dream at least as powerful as the countervailing dream of roots . . . this is unarguably a film about the joys of going away, of leaving the greyness and entering the color, of making a new life in 'the place where there isn't any trouble' . . . it is a celebration of Escape, a grand paean to the uprooted self, a hymn - the hymn - to Elsewhere."

His essays range from rock music to his life under the fatwa.

I'm definitely going to try out Haroun and the Sea of Stories and Midnight's Children/ ( )
  kgib | Mar 31, 2013 |
Because Rushdie is such a good writer it is enjoyable to read his thoughts on a multitude of topics; and this collection is an opportunity to do just that. While topics dear to his heart, like freedom of speech and freedom from religious persecution, get special attention, he also writes about music, politics, and religion in general. With intelligence, humility, and wit this collection is an excellent read for anyone interested in the world around them. ( )
  drsnowdon | Jul 26, 2010 |
Savvy and relevant. I love Rushdie's slightly self-deprecating wit; he invites us into the inner circle and asks us to laugh with him, rather than at him. ( )
  gottadance | Oct 11, 2008 |

For all their permeability, the borders snaking across the world have never been of greater importance. This is the dance of history in our age: slow, slow, quick, quick, slow, back and forth and from side to side, we step across these fixed and shifting lines. —from Part IV

With astonishing range and depth, the essays, speeches, and opinion pieces assembled in this book chronicle a ten-year intellectual odyssey by one of the most important, creative, and respected minds of our time. Step Across This Line concentrates in one volume Salman Rushdie’s fierce intelligence, uncanny social commentary, and irrepressible wit—about soccer, The Wizard of Oz, and writing, about fighting the Iranian fatwa and turning with the millennium, and about September 11, 2001. Ending with the eponymous, never-before-published speeches, this collection is, in Rushdie’s words, a “wake-up call” about the way we live, and think, now.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:47 -0400)

Best-selling, Booker Prize-winning author Salman Rushdie offers incisive, often humorous takes on literature, culture and world events in this New York Times Notable Book. In these stimulating pieces, Rushdie addresses a variety of subjects, including the death of the novel, India, soccer and the Rolling Stones.… (more)

29 wanted4 pay3 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,253,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible