The Robots of Dawn (1983)

by Isaac Asimov

Series: Isaac Asimov's Robot Series (6), Foundation Expanded Universe (4)

A puzzling case of roboticide sends New York Detective Elijah Baley on an intense search for a murderer. Armed with his own instincts, his quirky logic, and the immutable Three Laws of Robotics, Baley is determined to solve the case. But can anything prepare a simple Earthman for the psychological complexities of a world where a beautiful woman can easily have fallen in love with an all-too-human robot?… (more)
Recently added byhenrydorsettcase, private library, FuzzyLionel, hauffmann, motoschifo, KyleAyers
    Nightfall by Isaac Asimov (LE.Draqonoviicht)
    LE.Draqonoviicht: Both books do a great job, in their own ways, of taking the reader to places / alter-realities where whet is 'common-form'. for us, is not the standard for those who live where these books will take you.
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (longway)
    The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov (longway)
    The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov (longway)

English (84)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Slovak (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (89)
This is the last in the series that begins with"I, Robot." It's a sci-fi mystery, and Asimov keeps the reader guessing till the very end on whodunnit.

Earth's population stands now at 8 billion people (lol--or should I sob out loud), and people are packed into underground cave-cities. Humans can barely stand to see the outside sky: it gives them agoraphobia. ELIJAH Baley is a detective sent once again to a Spacer planet to solve the mystery of who "roboticided" the second humaniform robot on the planet Aurora. Humaniform robots are extremely human-like and can only be created by the Master Roboticist Dr Fastolfe, who will share his invention with nobody. It's extremely political, as one faction of the planet wants to use humaniform robots to branch out to the stars and pioneer planets to make way for Spacers to follow and settle. The other faction wants to let Earth men use their short lives doing this. It is believed that Dr Fastolfe roboticided his 2nd humaniform robot to keep him from being used for the formers' purpose.

P.37:
" 'But murder applies specifically to human beings. One does not murder an animal, for instance.'
Baley said, 'true. And one does not murder even a human being by accident, only by deliberate intent. The more general term is "to kill." that applies to accidental death as well as to deliberate murder--and it applies to animals as well as human beings. Even a tree may be killed by disease, so why may not a robot be killed, hey, Daneel?' "

This part reminded me what I felt like when I first moved into a mobile home park:
P.138:
"in the close quarters of crowded Earth, however, privacy was cherished, precisely because it had all but perished. It was virtually impossible on Earth not to know all the facts about the family arrangements of others, so one never asked and pretended ignorance. It was a universally maintained fraud."

This part is hard for a vegan to read, for the very reason that I hate the way animals' lives are not considered their own, but merely a commodity for the all-supreme-and-reigning humans:
P.163:
"the dinner that followed was an unalloyed delight. Again, as at lunch, there was the distinct feeling of being closer to nature. The dishes were numerous -- each different, each in small portions -- and, in a number of cases, it was possible to see that they had once been part of plants and animals. He was beginning to look upon the inconveniences - the occasional small bone, bit of gristle, strand of fiber, which might have repelled him earlier -- as a bit of adventure.
the first course was a little fish - a little fish that one ate whole, with whatever internal organs it might have -- and that struck him, at first sight, as another foolish way of rubbing one's nose in nature with a capital 'N.' but he swallowed the little fish anyway as Fastolfe did, and The taste converted him at once. He had never experienced anything like it. It was as though tastebuds had suddenly been invented and inserted in his tongue."

And here we come to a couple of parts that remind the reader that this was written by a man. For does a woman ever write about a man character in a similar way? for example: "the man walking down the steps could be seen to have a very small package in his crotch."...
P.197:
" '...are you trying to tell me that it was the relationship between Jander and me - me' - she tapped herself harshly on the breastbone with one Rigid finger, the swells of her small breasts scarcely showing under her robe - 'that caused Janders death?' "

P.236:
"Vasilia was breathing rapidly (Baley noted absolutely and without conscious intention that, although Vasilia was as small - boned As gladia was, her breasts were larger) and she seemed to wrench at her voice to keep it under control."

What are we on Earth now?--13 billion? This was written in 1983...
P.396:
" 'no doubt,' said Amadiro quickly, 'for it is no compromise. The over 8 billion population of Earth is more than half again the population of all the Spacer worlds combined. Earth's people are short - lived and are used to replacing their losses quickly. They lack our regard for individual human life. They will swarm over the new Worlds at any cost, multiplying like insects, and will preempt the Galaxy even while we are making a bare beginning. To offer Earth a supposedly equal chance at the Galaxy is to give them the Galaxy -- and that is not equality. Earth people must be confined to Earth.'

Despite all, I loved this book, and I'm sorry I finished the series. I would read it again, soon.
  burritapal | Oct 23, 2022 |
I love, love, love this book. I dragged through a lot of parts for maybe the first half, I will admit. But slowly, it got to the point where I couldn't put it down. I love the robots, they're easily my favorite characters. It's great seeing Baley interact with them, too, and gaining respect for them. The main mystery keeps the reader guessing, and the exploration of different societal norms was as fascinating as ever.
Watching Baley go through his development and seeing his interplay with the other characters, the friendships that come about, really touches me. I never in my life would expect that I'd cry over two fictional characters shaking hands, but dang it, Asimov got me good with making me care so deeply for his characters.

Go read it. If you haven't started Asimov's robots/empire/foundation series, start it. Today. ( )
  jessoftheBooks | Aug 23, 2022 |
loved it. can't wait to read #4. ( )
  btbell_lt | Aug 1, 2022 |
4/6/22
  laplantelibrary | Apr 6, 2022 |
El final es muy bueno ya comienza a cimentar la fundacion aquella union que prometian estos libros de la saga de los robots.
Como siempre es un analisis inteligente de varios aspectos del ser humano en este se aborda hasta la sexualidad vista desde puntos de vista exteriores al que nosotros tenemos aunque llegan a una conclusion ya conocida.
El nudo se hace un poco extenso a pesar de ser necesario para ir tejiendo el entramado que llega a la fenomenal conclusion.
Como siempre el protagonista esta excelentemente elaborado asombra su nivel de elocuencia. ( )
  Enzokolis | Jan 17, 2022 |

Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zinoni, DelioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Minsky, Marvin
Engelberger, Joseph F.
Dedicated to Marvin Minsky and Joseph F. Engelberger, who epitomize (respectively) the theory and practice of robotics.
Elijah Baley found himself in the shade of the tree and muttered to himself, "I knew it. I'm sweating."

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,148,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible