Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold
2,004584,814 (4.19)1 / 303
    Foreigner by C. J. Cherryh (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Both character driven social SF rather than technologically focused.
    Darkborn by Alison Sinclair (ultimatebookwyrm)
    ultimatebookwyrm: Although Barrayar is a sci-fi and Darkborn is fantasy, both have great characters, a fast-moving plot, mystery, suspense, action, and phenomenal world-building. Plus a kick-ass Mom who will stop at nothing to retrieve her child.

English (53)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (58)
I read the whole Vorkosigan series a few years ago, and now I am re-reading the whole thing. Barrayar is so, so good. It really is one of my favorite novels of all time. The characters, the action, the themes all come together so wonderfully. Once I get 3/4 of the way done I truly can't put it down until the story is over. ( )
  gabarito | May 13, 2018 |
Really superb SF. Bujold's characterization of the protagonist is wonderful -- heroic but human, one can't help but identify with her. Elements of romance, psychological thriller, political intrigue, and war -- but war is never glorified and the characters never emerge unscathed. Given the publication date of this novel I would say that Bujold must have been one of the first SF series writers to realize that treating your characters badly makes for gripping reading. ( )
  picklefactory | Jan 16, 2018 |
Cordelia Vorkosigan, now married to the Regent of Barrayar, is thrust into the politics of a culture and country that is still foreign to her. In the midst of this, Cordelia discovers she is pregnant.
Bujold created in Cordelia, a complex character, fierce but fair, mother and solider, intelligent and kind, uncompromising but gentle, logical but not cold. Watching her navigate the unfolding events in the story made me wish she was real!
The story itself was face-paced – within a few pages, Bad Things happen and challenges arise that threaten the stability of her new home and her family – and endanger the life of her child. The plot was plausible, action-packed, with just the right amount of suspense, and a healthy dose of humor.
And the ending (which I won’t spoil) – Gah! I cheered out loud! Cordelia was so freaking bad-ass!
Read this – particular if you enjoy stories with well-rounded female characters. ( )
1 vote empress8411 | Nov 1, 2017 |
Science Fiction novel by Lois McMaster Bujold (1991) and part of of the Vokosigan Saga. Format was audio narrated by Grover Garder who does a great job. Barrayar won both the Hugo Award for Best Novel and the Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel in 1992.As in Ethan of Athos, this book explores pregnancy, women's choice, use of artificial means to develop the fetus and the ethics of deformity in the fetus and the use of euthanasia in such cases as mutation. There is plenty of action in this story thus the category of space opera and military science fiction. I liked this one quite a bit and it is the best Bujold thus far. It is fairly unique in science fiction as it looks at the role of motherhood. The characters, especially Cordelia's father in law is developed and characters added and new information provided. There is a lot of technology and how it changes things and society, and economics. Very readable science fiction. ( )
  Kristelh | Feb 11, 2017 |
I love Lois M Bujold.
She was recommended to me by a coworker. I like her writing and I like her philosophy that comes through in the books.
About this book:
When Cordelia says "Barrayarans!" it's a curse word. This novel, one of the darkest stories in the saga, explains why. An assassination attempt on Aral produces collateral damage on pregnant Cordelia. The antidote arrives in time to save both their lives, but the antidote proves incredibly toxic to Miles, still growing within her body. An emergency operation removes him so he can be transferred to an artificial womb, a piece of Betan technology called a uterine replicator. Various experimental treatments can then be applied without risking his mother's health.
Meanwhile, Cordelia, not yet fully recovered from surgery and after-effects of the poison gas, finds herself boots on the ground in a Barrayaran civil war.
About the only light spot in the whole book is the romance between Kou and Drou. The course of their true love is so far from being smooth that Cordelia finds it necessary to play the part of a matchmaker, so that she can "translate" the garbles messages that the two of them continually send to one another.
I don't think it's a spoiler to say that Miles survives, but is physically different as a result of his pre-natal experiences.

CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hickman, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warhola, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anne and Paul
I am afraid. Cordelia's hand pushed aside the drape in the third floor parlour window of Vorkosigan House.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067172083X, Mass Market Paperback)

Cordelia Naismith was resourceful and courageous, but what is Lady Vorkosigan like? When her life is shattered by a soltoxin grenade, the unfortunate Barrayarans who target her husband and hit her child find out.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:43 -0400)

Anarchy threatens Barrayar when the emperor dies leaving his five-year-old son as heir, and only one man, Aral Vorkosigan, and his extraordinary wife, Cordelia Naismith, can keep the empire united.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,957,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible