Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and…

Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction (1963)

by J. D. Salinger

Series: Glass Family (3)

5,185471,302 (3.99)1 / 77
    Hapworth 16, 1924 by J. D. Salinger (girlunderglass)
    girlunderglass: You'll know Seymour even better in this short story.
    All The Answers by Michael Kupperman (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Quiz kids
    Sappho: A New Translation by Sappho (aulsmith)
    Whatever Happened to the Quiz Kids? Perils and Profits of Growing Up Gifted by Ruth Duskin Feldman (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Quiz kids
    Franny and Zooey by J. D. Salinger (kxlly)
    Normal Family by Don Trowden (Publerati)
    Publerati: The famous family Salinger created is reminiscent of the Pendergast family we meet within Normal Family.

English (45)  Dutch (1)  All languages (46)
Five stars for Raise High the Roof Beam, three stars for Seymour: An Introduction. Split the difference and call it four. I revisited this for the PopSugar reading challenge - to read a book you read in high school - and I probably would have given it five stars then. My tastes have changed since quoting JD Salinger in the yearbook I suppose. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
Another edition to add to the Glass family chronicles, touches on similar things as the other stories, with similar pathos and humor. Only for the Salinger fans. ( )
  charlie68 | Nov 26, 2018 |
❤️ ( )
  bealv | Sep 30, 2018 |
This is a book that I struggled to get through at points. It was almost too personal, or rather too intimate a pair of stories to be read in good conscience. Having read the bulk of [a: J.D. Salinger|819789|J.D. Salinger|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1288777679p2/819789.jpg]'s work straight through in publication order (excluding uncollected stories, and the newly published [b: Three Early Stories|22314610|Three Early Stories|J.D. Salinger|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1400991049s/22314610.jpg|41707471]), I have to say that it has been an experience unlike any other. The pieces seem better read in this order, more appropriately ordered. There's an evolution in the writing, but not as great of one as a person may expect. For the most part, the writing remains the same - just shorter, or more observant. The voice is undeniably Salinger's (or arguably Buddy Glass's?) own.

Rather than focus on the plot, for fear of giving too much away, I'd like to say that this experience has been downright eerie. There's no separation between Buddy Glass and Salinger, and at times - if not through the whole of his work - the Glass family seems more real and potent than Salinger ever did as a person. The writing is painfully intimate, so honest that I needed to pause between pages during the latter story. I've never really had this experience reading anything before, with the exception of a few smaller pieces by [a: Jonathan Carroll|23704|Jonathan Carroll|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1222900262p2/23704.jpg]. If there is a magic in books, and I honestly believe there is, [a: J.D. Salinger|819789|J.D. Salinger|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1288777679p2/819789.jpg] had all of it and worked it masterfully.

With 2022 looming ever closer I sincerely hope that more of his work is published. I also sincerely hope that he found the beauty he constantly searched for, and that eventually it will be shared with all of the old [b: Catcher in the Rye|5107|The Catcher in the Rye|J.D. Salinger|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1398034300s/5107.jpg|3036731] fans - the depressed and dispossessed. Though, really, I believe there's beauty enough in what works by him have been published to catch all the bodies that need catching, and more. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
J.D. hai toccato vette sublimi anche stavolta... Perché hai voluto rovinare tutto con il secondo racconto? Per amore di tuo fratello, ok. Ma bastava il primo. ( )
  downisthenewup | Aug 17, 2017 |

J. D. Salingerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cerrone Romano CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pedrolo, Manuel deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pigrau i Rodríguez, AntoniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schönfeld, EikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The actors by their presence always convince me, to my horror, that most of what I've written about them until now is false. It is false because I write about them with steadfast love (even now, while I write it down, this, too, becomes false) but varying ability, and this varying ability does not hit off the real actors loudly and correctly but loses itself dully in this love that will never be satisfied with the ability and therefore thinks it is protecting the actors by preventing this ability from exercising itself.
It is (to describe it figuratively) as if an author were to make a slip of the pen, and as if this clerical error became conscious of being such. Perhaps this was no error but in a far higher sense was an essential part of the whole exposition. It is, then, as if this clerical error were to revolt against the author, out of hatred for Iron, were to forbid him to correct it, and were to say, 'No, I will not be erased, I will stand as a witness against thee, that thou art a very poor writer.'
If there is an amateur reader still left in the world - or anybody who just reads and runs - I ask him or her, with untellable affection and gratitude, to split the dedication of this book four ways with my wife and children.
One night some twenty years ago, during a siege of mumps in our enormous family, my youngest sister, Franny, was moved, crib and all, into the ostensibly germ-free room I shared with my eldest brother, Seymour.
At times, frankly, I find it pretty slim pickings, but at the age of forty I look on my old fair-weather friend the general reader as my last deeply contemporary confidant, and I was rather strenuously requested, long before I was out of my teens, by at once the most exciting and the least fundamentally bumptious public craftsman I've ever personally known, to try to keep a steady and sober regard for the amenities of such a relationship, be it ever so peculiar or terrible; in my case, he saw it coming on from the first.
Raise high the roof beam, carpenters. Like Ares comes the bridegroom, taller far than a tall man.
This LT work is only for Salinger's 1963 publication of two novellas together, Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction. LT has separate works for each novella individually, "Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters" (1955) and "Seymour: An Introduction" (1959). Please do not combine either individual novella with this work. Thank you.

Buddy Glass introduces his older brother and describes the events of Seymour's wedding day.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,431,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible