Redwall (2000)

by Brian Jacques

Series: Redwall: Publication Order (1), Redwall: Chronological Order (9)

When the peaceful life of ancient Redwall Abbey is shattered by the arrival of the evil rat Cluny and his villainous hordes, Matthias, a young mouse, determines to find the legendary sword of Martin the Warrior which, he is convinced, will help Redwall's inhabitants destroy the enemy.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both wonderful stories about woodland animals that are good reads for young people, yet with so much more meaning to older readers.
    Warrior Scarlet by Rosemary Sutcliff (lmichet)
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (MarcusBrutus)
    MarcusBrutus: fantasy/talking animals
    Urchin of the Riding Stars by M. I. McAllister (FFortuna)
    Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel (FFortuna)
    Thunder Oak by Garry Kilworth (FFortuna)

English (130)  Italian (1)  All languages (131)
I first read the Redwall books years ago and I still enjoy them when I recently re-read them. I love the world building and the creativity with which these animals were anthropomorphized. The level of description is really well done and very detailed. So adventurous and so very entertaining. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
I was just underwhelmed by this. I found myself making excuses for feeling that way, trying to justify choices in character and language. In the end I rate things on Goodreads based on the star labels. 2 stars means "it was okay". And that's all I can say. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
Case 15 shelf 2
  semoffat | Sep 1, 2021 |
I read this in Elementary School and instantly became a fan of the Author Brian Jacques. This book helped to solidify my interest in fantasy books and series. ( )
  teowarden | Aug 13, 2021 |
I've lost count of how many times I've read and listened to Redwall over the years since I first discovered the series at about the age of ten. It deserves to be read. It's not just a children's book--in fact, I don't think it was even written to be a children's book. Some of the content certainly bears that theory out. There are horrific deaths, poisonings, war, treachery, rats are boiled to death in hot porridge-- proceed with caution, kiddos, it certainly scared me as a kid. But as I grew older, I got to appreciate the way Brian Jacques writes and executes the accents of all the characters and how I can vividly see the different animals and know their personalities and quirks. (Constance the badger is an all time fave, she's sassy and growly and I, too, would like to be able to huck tables at troublesome rats at times.)

So go and read this book. ( )
  cthuwu | Jul 28, 2021 |

Jacques, BrianAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barber, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chalk, GaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howell, TroyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keith, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was the start of the Summer of the Late Rose. (Prologue)
Matthias cut a comical little figure as he wobbled his way along the cloisters, with his large sandals flip-flopping and his tail peeping from beneath the baggy folds of an oversized novice's habit.

The mice of Redwall Abbey must defend themselves against the invasion of Cluny the Scourge, a rat with ambitions of power and cruelty. In this novel of epic battle, peaceful creatures band together to defeat the enemy -- but they never lose their awareness that they are not made for violence. A young mouse, Matthias, finds his true calling as a leader-warrior and defender of the Abbey.

An enjoyable story, for advanced intermediate readers (could be a readaloud for this age group) or junior high and up.

AR 5.6, Pts 16

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,459,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible