Redwall by Brian Jacques

Redwall (1986)

by Brian Jacques

Watership Down by Richard Adams (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both wonderful stories about woodland animals that are good reads for young people, yet with so much more meaning to older readers.
    Warrior Scarlet by Rosemary Sutcliff (lmichet)
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (MarcusBrutus)
    MarcusBrutus: fantasy/talking animals
    Urchin of the Riding Stars by M. I. McAllister (FFortuna)
    Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel (FFortuna)
    Thunder Oak by Garry Kilworth (FFortuna)

English (107)  Italian (1)  All languages (108)
Redwall is one of those classical children's stories you just have to read along with Warriors. I had thought I read this book before but didn't remember a thing as I followed Matthias' tale of glory. There was so much more of this story than I initially thought. There is a villain with a rat's tail so long and a sinister heart. He would kill anyone who rebelled against him and even lead his own men to their death. Meanwhile Matthias is young but has a heart of a hero, truly. He was connected to Martin the Warrior and through him found the strength to fight the adversary known as Cluny the Scourge. I enjoyed this story but it was long and arduous. If it wasn't for the lengthy wording I think I would have enjoyed it more. It's detailed and great for fantasy/adventure lovers. It was an impressive read for a book featuring animals. I'm glad I got the chance to finally read it but it was just too lengthy for me. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
The Redwall series has been one of my favourites for about twenty years. I can't recall exactly how I first learned about the books, but I do remember clearly my mother getting me out of school one day so she could take me to meet Brian Jacques when he came to the area to do a book signing. That was a truly delightful treat.

Despite my love for the series, it had been years since I last read Redwall, and the last time I tried I discovered I wasn't in the mood for that particular book, so I set it aside. Since it had been years, however, I decided to give it another try. I borrowed the audiobook from my local library to listen to during my commute. The full cast audio is delightful, and I really enjoyed listening to this story.

Thing is...I realise now that Redwall is probably my least favourite entry in the series, and in listening to it I've been able to pinpoint a few of the reasons why this is. Redwall is the first book in the series, and on the world-building front it just doesn't mesh cleanly with the later books. The various groups and tribes of creatures are still largely undeveloped. There are mentions of large animals like horses, pigs, and stags, all of which are completely absent in later books. In Redwall there seems to be some implication that the Abbey mice and various woodland creatures are living alongside humans (see the aforementioned farm animals, plus mentions of towns), even though humans are never actually mentioned in the story. Reading Redwall after reading other books in the series winds up being jarring for me, simply because it's a literary step backward.

I still like the book, and I'm sure I'll read (or listen to) it again. Knowing why it isn't my favourite helps me appreciate it for what it is: the foundation and starting point for an amazing series of books that I absolutely love. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
This is the first book in the Redwall series. Although it was a DNF for me, it was beautifully written and I can understand how it is a beloved classic for many people...which is why I gave it 4 stars despite not finishing it. I read the first 100 pages of the book and just could not get into the story.

I’ll state right off the bat that I am not a huge fan of animals as humans (anthropomorphism) types of fantasy novels. While this book is beautifully written, I just didn’t enjoy the fact that all the characters are animals of different types.

This book also moves very slowly; it is written in an old school fantasy style and creeps along. The story itself is also a very typical fantasy story: peaceful society gets attacked by an evil person and one unlikely person/animal stands up to help the situation. Given the pace and the typical plot I had trouble staying engaged and kept finding a million other things to do rather than read this book...which is how I knew it just wasn’t for me.

As I said this story does have its good points. The world is beautifully created and the writing is very lyrical. Many of the characters are incredibly lovable and cute.

Overall this just wasn’t for me. I think younger readers might enjoy it more. The plot was just too predictable, the pace too slow, and I struggled to stay engaged in the story and kept finding other things to do rather than read this story. I am not a big fan of anthropomorphism types of stories so that was part of the issue as well. ( )
  krau0098 | May 30, 2018 |
Summery: This book is about a young mouse that goes by the name of Matthias. He and the other creatures live in the place called Redwall. Among the creatures of Redwall there is the Abbey and old Methuselah. (if I'm spelling this right) This book mostly tells the story of young Matthias and his maturing of trying to find the mighty sword of the mouse warrior of Redwall Martin the Great. On the other perspective of the story are told by the eyes of Cluny the Scourge. Cluny is a evil rat leader who has murdered millions,he wants to take over Redwall. All throughout the story Matthias and Cluny alike have troubles but, get over them. Matthias meets new people getting help and advice along the way. Until the end of the story who do you think will win?

Opinion: This book by far is one of the BEST book I have ever read. Brian Jacques way of wording and story telling are amazing. At first this was just a book on by bookshelf when I picked it up I was thinking "I'm probably not going to like this." Boy was I wrong! The plot is amazing and the description of the littlest thing are incredible. I highly suggest this book to whoever has extra time on their hands since this book is quite long. ( )
  AbagailC.B3 | Mar 21, 2018 |
My all-time favorite series in elementary school. Jacques paints such a clear picture, and I loved all of the different dialects for the animals; the classic battles between good and evil where good always prevails. Great childhood reading. ( )
  kristilabrie | Mar 16, 2018 |

Brian Jacquesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barber, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chalk, GaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howell, TroyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keith, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was the start of the Summer of the Late Rose. (Prologue)
Matthias cut a comical little figure as he wobbled his way along the cloisters, with his large sandals flip-flopping and his tail peeping from beneath the baggy folds of an oversized novice's habit.

The mice of Redwall Abbey must defend themselves against the invasion of Cluny the Scourge, a rat with ambitions of power and cruelty. In this novel of epic battle, peaceful creatures band together to defeat the enemy -- but they never lose their awareness that they are not made for violence. A young mouse, Matthias, finds his true calling as a leader-warrior and defender of the Abbey.

An enjoyable story, for advanced intermediate readers (could be a readaloud for this age group) or junior high and up.

AR 5.6, Pts 16

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441005489, Mass Market Paperback)

As the inhabitants of Redwall Abbey bask in the glorious Summer of the Late Rose, all is quiet and peaceful. But things are not as they seem. Cluny the Scourge, the evil one-eyed rat warlord, is hell-bent on destroying the tranquility as he prepares to fight a bloody battle for the ownership of Redwall. This dazzling story in the Redwall series is packed with all the wit, wisdom, humor, and blood-curdling adventure of the other books in the collection, but has the added bonus of taking the reader right back to the heart and soul of Redwall Abbey and the characters who live there.

Magical, mystical, and the stuff of legends, this stunning tale of good battling with--and ultimately triumphing over--evil takes the reader on a roller-coaster adventure that barely draws breath from the first page to the very last. Brian Jacques is a true master of his craft. --Susan Harrison

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:36 -0400)

When the peaceful life of ancient Redwall Abbey is shattered by the arrival of the evil rat Cluny and his villainous hordes, Matthias, a young mouse, determines to find the legendary sword of Martin the Warrior which, he is convinced, will help Redwall's inhabitants destroy the enemy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,157,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible