The White Hotel by D. M. Thomas

The White Hotel (1981)

by D. M. Thomas

A chronicle of a woman's life told first through Freud's letters, then through a case history of her analysis, and finally through conventional narrative.
Recently added bymkedinburgh, Adammmmm, hrebml, private library, ejmw, Redtricky, OctoberWolf, wendyle
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose, Danilo Kiš
    The Benefactor by Susan Sontag (GotoTengo)
    GotoTengo: A protagonist obsessed with his dreams.

English (18)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (20)
Harold at Twice-Told raved about this novel, but it was Emir Kusturica's interets in bringing it to the screen which inspired my reading. I felt it contrived and flat, though the premise is engaging: the prescience of hysteria. The bits that Thomas stole are the best in the book: shame on you, Donald. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
The first few chapters felt like an excuse to write deeply graphic sexual fantasies, but reading on it all ties in. I really liked this book, I need to read it again now I know where it leads so I can get the full picture. My favourite book I've read this year. ( )
1 vote MrLloydSpandex | May 18, 2016 |
Freud + young woman patient; 20 years analysis
tragic

It is a dream of electrifying eroticism and inexplicable violence, recounted by a young woman to her analyst, Sigmund Freud. It is a horrifying yet restrained narrative of the Holocaust. It is a searing vision of the wounds of our century, and an attempt to heal them. Interweaving poetry and case history, fantasy and historical truth-telling, The White Hotel is a modern classic of enduring emotional power that attempts nothing less than to reconcile the notion of individual destiny with that of historical fate.
1 vote | christinejoseph | Aug 26, 2015 |
This is a story of eroticism and inexplicable violence, recounted by a young woman to her analyst, Sigmund Freud. The book's first three movements consist of the erotic fantasies and case-history of one of the novelist's conception of Sigmund Freud's female patients, overlapping, expanding, and gradually turning into almost normal narrative. But then the story takes a different course with the convulsions of the century, and becomes a testament of the Holocaust, harrowing and chillingly authentic. Only at the end does the fantasy element return, pulling together the earlier themes into a kind of benediction. One aspect that I found interesting was the use of the epistolary form with postcards from the fictional hotel guests included as part of the narrative.
Ultimately it is a vision of the wounds of the 20th century, and an attempt to heal them. ( )
1 vote jwhenderson | May 24, 2012 |
It's funny how sometimes you end up doing things in themes - I read this book shortly after watching David Cronenburg's new film about Freud and Jung, and also after reading Primo Levi - so Judaism and psychoanalysis coming together in this book which centres around a female singer, a 'case study' of Freud, and a central European/Russian Jew in the 1930s. It's a fascinating read; it starts with two different meditations on feminine sexuality and the erotic, very circular and repetitive, capable of reinterpretation in a myriad of different ways, by Freud and also by Anna the subject - but who owns the analysis - the analyst or the analysand - the male authority or the female subject? The more linear narrative, that takes us into the ghetto and the slaughterhouse, into the dark heart of man's inhumanity, brings fantasy against a dark reality of group psychosis. Is analysis and self knowledge just an egotistical indulgence?
1 vote otterley | Apr 29, 2012 |
What ''The White Hotel'' sets out to perform, clearly, is the diagnosis of our epoch through the experience of an individual; and the highest praise I can give it is that for some time it comes close to achieving that goal. Indeed, the opening sections of the novel are so authoritative and imaginatively daring that I quickly came to feel I had found the book, that mythical book, that would explain us to ourselves.

Thomas, D. M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dielemans, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Till, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We had fed the heart on fantasies,
The heart's grown brutal from the fare;
More substance in our enmities
Than in our love....
                                  -W. B. Yeats
     Meditations in Time of Civil War

It is a dream of electrifying eroticism and inexplicable violence, recounted by a young woman to her analyst, Sigmund Freud. It is a horrifying yet restrained narrative of the Holocaust. It is a searing vision of the wounds of our century, and an attempt to heal them. Interweaving poetry and case history, fantasy and historical truth-telling, "The White Hotel" is a modern classic of enduring emotional power that attempts nothing less than to reconcile the notion of individual destiny with that of historical fate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,116,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible