Bread Alone by Judith R. Hendricks

Bread Alone (2001)

by Judith R. Hendricks

Good chick lit debut novel. An entertaining beach read. ( )
  BookConcierge | Mar 4, 2016 |
This was a lovely book! Told in the present tense, yet it works well. The story (about the break-up of a marriage) is puntuated with recipes for bread, and explanations of how bread is made. Somehow this doesn't disrupt the flow at all, but adds to it. Believable characters, very pleasant light read. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
After 7 years of marriage Wynter Morrison is told by her husband David that he feels unsure, conflicted, trapped - which is "David-speak" for "I'm dating a hot blonde and it's time for you to move out". Although Wyn knows in her heart that she has not been completely happy in their marriage either she is nonetheless stunned by David's emotional detachment. She spent her married life as a 'trophy-wife' helping David climb the corporate ladder in the cut-throat world of advertising. Her days were spent lunching with the ladies, serving on committees and tennis at the country club and now she finds herself without money or a job or the practical skills to pursue any kind of career. Wyn travels to Seattle to stay with her best friend, CM, as Wyn tries to find a new direction for her life. CM takes Wyn to her favorite bakery for breakfast every morning and the wonderful tastes and aromas of the freshly baked breads bring Wyn back to one of her first loves - creating recipes for mouthwatering loaves of bread. Wyn impulsively accepts a job at the bakery and begins a new life in Seattle but she continues to hope that David will see the error of his ways and come crawling back.

I definitely don't do this book justice by my review because it is so much more than a woman scorned trying to get over a broken heart. Wyn is a complex character who is not always loveable but I like her in spite of it. There is great backstory of a difficult relationship with her mother, a beloved father who died when Wyn was a teen, tentative steps towards new romantic relationships and loaves, and loaves of bread! Recipes are included for several breads, scones cakes and cookies. The book made me want to cut into a crusty loaf and slather it with butter.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
My only complaint is that I bought enough bread,scones,muffins, etc for an army while reading this book. It is a very good read, fast. Thank goodness I finished it in one night, otherwise I would run out of freezer and cabinet space. ( )
  danigoose1 | Nov 2, 2015 |
When Justine's marriage ends she bakes bread to cope and earn a living. Soon she is a partner in a Seattle bakery adjusting to her new life with help from her mom and best friend and other friends. She becomes stronger, more independent and closer to her mom.

Good read. ( )
1 vote Bookish59 | Jan 4, 2015 |
Upside down I may take shape,
I may become resilient.
Kneaded, turned on end
I will become less
And somehow more myself.
from Becoming Bread by Gunilla Norris
To Geoff, for believing
The beeping smoke detector wakes me.

The life of 31-year-old trophy wife Wynter Morrison suddenly changes course when her husband announces one evening that their marriage is over. Emotionally devastated and desperate for a change of scenery, Wyn moves to Seattle where she spends aimless hours at a local bakery, sipping coffee and inhaling the sweet aromas of freshly-made bread. These visits bring back memories of her long-ago apprenticeship at a French boulangerie, and when offered a position at the bakery, Wyn quickly accepts -- hoping that the rituals of baking will help her move on.

Working long hours among the bakery's cluster of eclectic women -- Linda, the irascible bread baker; earth mother Ellen and her partner Diane; and Tyler, the blue-haired barista -- Wyn awakens to the truths that she missed while living the good life in Hancock Park.

Soon Wyn discovers that making bread possesses an unexpected and wondrous healing power, helping her to rediscover that nothing stays the same... bread rises, pain fades, the heart heals, and the future beckons.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:23 -0400)

When 31-year-old Wynter Morrison finds herself locked out of her L.A. house by her handsome, spoiled, unfaithful husband David, she is devastated. After 7 years of being an "Executive Wife/Hostess" (David's mandate), Wyn finds herself floundering in the traditional job market. She moves to Seattle "temporarily" for a fresh start, and her skills as a breadmaker-- picked up as an exchange student during an internship in Toulouse, land her a job baking bread at a local bakery.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,812,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible