Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (1972)

by Judith Viorst

On a day when everything goes wrong for him, Alexander is consoled by the thought that other people have bad days too.

independent reading grades 3-5
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a 1972 ALA Notable Children's Book written by Judith Viorst and illustrated by Ray Cruz. It has also won a George G. Stone Center Recognition of Merit, a Georgia Children's Book Award, and is a Reading Rainbow book.
  Paola.angeli | Dec 5, 2022 |
Independent Reading Level: 1st-2nd
Awards: George G. Stone Center recognition of Merit, Georgia Children's Book Award ( )
  Kcharriott | Nov 22, 2022 |
I love the humor and relatability of this book. It is about Alexander and how he is convinced everything that can go bad will. My only concern is his over the top ungratefulness that never really gets resolved but still an entertaining read for young children.
  sjgouwerok | Jul 27, 2022 |
A creative and yet universal depiction of what an incredibly awful day for a child can feel like. The illustrations are very detailed and set the mood very well.
  lmannsch | Jul 17, 2022 |
Alexander wakes up with gum in his hair and his day just goes downhill from there. His breakfast is no fun, his best friend has new besties and the shoes that he wants are out of stock leaving him with the plain ones, not to mention, he has a visit to the dentist looming in his future. His parents aren’t exactly sympathetic and it still isn’t over because before his day is done he is going to have to watch kissing on television and eat lima beans for dinner. (Actually, I think I got off easy. I HATE lima beans!!) The pencil and ink sketches by Ray Cruz are the perfect medium for conveying Alexander’s day.

Alexander is an ‘every kid’ as the success of the entire series proves and this book is just a classic. Which is why it is still in classrooms and libraries all over the world after nearly fifty years because it perfectly captures the fact that bad days just happen sometimes, even in Australia. ( )
  Ireadwhatuwrite | Jun 23, 2022 |
For Robert Lescher, with love and thanks.
I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

People of all ages have terrible, horrible days, and Alexander offers us the cranky commiseration we crave as well as a reminder that things may not be all that bad.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,301,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible