The Consolations of Philosophy (2000)

by Alain de Botton

Alain de Botton's The Consolations of Philosophy takes the discipline of logic and the mind back to its roots. Drawing inspiration from six of the finest minds in history - Socrates, Epicurus, Seneca, Montaigne, Schopenhauer and Nietzsche - he addresses lack of money, the pain of love, inadequacy, anxiety and conformity. De Botton's book led one critic to call philosophy 'the new rock and roll.'… (more)

English (47)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Arabic (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (58)
An introductory look at the lives and ideas of 6 European philosophers, with a bit of the author’s own perspectives thrown in. Certainly not comprehensive, but interesting. ( )
  evenlake | Mar 23, 2021 |
Para jush do të shfaqet Sokrati, Epikuri, Seneka, Montenji, Shopenhaueri, Niçe. Me idetë, veprën dhe jetën e tyre, së bashku me kumtet e fshehta dhe ato aspekte të filozofisë që mund t'u ngushëllojnë në jetën tuaj, ata do ju shërbejnë të parandaloni dhimbjen.
  BibliotekaFeniks | Sep 2, 2020 |
This book is so fantastic! Alain de Botton is probably best known for his School of Life Youtube videos whose content ranges from philosophy to how to accept your humanness gracefully. I want to give everyone this book and assure them, as the featured philosophers have, that you're going to be alright. Here are some ideas is easy-to-read, often humorous, prose that the author is well-known for. ( )
  CarolineanneE | Mar 28, 2020 |
Disappointment was my initial and lasting feeling about this book, which is surprising after being quite impressed by every other book I’ve read by this author. True to form, there were many clever and intelligent lines throughout the book, but taken all together I found myself skimming sections (something I rarely ever do) as the book lost my interest. Even when dealing with subjects I was familiar with and have always been interested in, I didn’t want to be there reading. Just possibly this wasn’t my time to read this book. I violated one my own rules of read—No book before its time. Another day, this might have seemed stellar … just not January of 2020. ( )
  jphamilton | Jan 12, 2020 |
This was an airport buy and a flight read. De Botton covers Socrates, Epicurus, Seneca, Montaigne, Schopenhauer, and Nietzsche in an effort to point out that: Not everything which makes us feel better is good for us. Not everything which hurts may be bad. In effect, to regard "distress" as "bad" is "almost as stupid as the will to abolish bad weather". This was useful reading, and works in well with my reading of Seneca, Montaigne, and Nietzsche, and provided a helpful overview to my current reading of Epicurus, and also Tina Gilbertson's now-read Constructive Wallowing. Two quotes struck me: A man's peace of mind does not depend upon Fortune - Seneca (p. 97) and I have begun to be a friend to myself - Seneca citing Hecato (p. 103). This was an easy read but made easier by my familiarity with the other authors. Had I read this without that understanding I have developed over the last year, I would have missed much. Yet I think it is a good overview of why The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates.but also it provides an interesting introduction to the use of reason and choice to overcome what distresses us. ( )
  madepercy | Dec 28, 2017 |
A few years ago, during a bitter New York winter, with an afternoon to spare before catching a flight to London, I found myself in a deserted gallery on the upper level of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140276610, 0141038373

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,100,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible