On Death and Dying (1969)

by Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Ten years after Elisabeth Kübler-Ross's death, a commemorative edition with a new introduction and updated resources section of her beloved groundbreaking classic on the five stages of grief. One of the most important psychological studies of the late twentieth century, On Death and Dying grew out of Dr. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross's famous interdisciplinary seminar on death, life, and transition. In this remarkable book, Dr. Kübler-Ross first explored the now-famous five stages of death: denial and isolation, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Through sample interviews and conversations, she gives the reader a better understanding of how imminent death affects the patient, the professionals who serve that patient, and the patient's family, bringing hope to all who are involved.… (more)

English (26)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (30)
When I took a death and dying class in college, my professor often quoted from this book. It is interesting to finally read it now during this pandemic. The bulk of this book consists of interviews with patients who know they will die soon and their families. These conversations are insightful and heartwarming. Expanding our views on death will help us cope when we and/or our loved ones are facing the end, and Kubler-Ross's work has certainly done that for me. ( )
  JosephVanBuren | May 17, 2022 |
How do you look someone in the eye and tell them they are dying? Sure, every single one of us is dying by increments every single day. Some of us will die tomorrow, without warning. No fanfare. But, how do you tell someone they will die in a month? In a week? Days? On Death and Dying is exactly that, a chance to talk to terminally ill patients; to have a candid talk about what it means to moving towards death sooner rather than later. Kubler-Ross and her students interviewed over 200 patients towards this end. I think it is safe to safe we know what emerged from this seminal work:
Stage One: Denial and Isolation
Stage Two: Anger - the "Why Me?" stage.
Stage Three: Bargaining - not a lot to say about this stage except to say it is very childlike in believing you can strike a deal with a higher power to avoid death.
Stage Four: Depression (the stage I think I would live within the longest).
Stage Five: Acceptance. This is the most difficult of all the stages to reach. Even after achieving acceptance, it is easy for the patient to revert back to an earlier stage such as anger or denial. Stage five is also difficult for the patient's loved ones. How many families see a patient's acceptance as resignation or a loss of will to live? One must remember there are defense mechanisms as well as coping mechanisms at play.
My biggest takeaway from reading On Death and Dying is how the more training and experience a physician had, the less ready he or she was to become involved in Kubler-Ross's interviews. It is as if they lost the ability to see the patient as a human with a right to know their terminal future. We need to bring compassion back at every level of care. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Feb 28, 2022 |
  PSZC | Apr 23, 2020 |
five stages of death: denial and isolation, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Through sample interviews and conversations, she gives readers a better understanding of how imminent death affects the patient, the professionals who serve that patient, and the patient's family, bringing hope to all who are involved.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Mar 19, 2020 |
llth printing
  PAFM | Oct 19, 2019 |

Elisabeth Kübler-Rossprimary authorall editionscalculated
Murray Parkes, ColinForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

To the memory of My Father and of Seppli Bucher
Epidemics have taken a great toll of lives in the past generations.

Twee experts over de omgang met de dood delen hun inzichten over het wonder van het leven.
Iedereen stelt zichzelf op een zeker moment de vraag: 'Is dit hoe ik mijn leven wil leven?' Het leven is kort, en vaak ontdekken we pas achteraf - soms te laat - wat we echt belangrijk vinden.
In Levenslessen - haar eerste boek over het leven - laat Elisabeth Kübler-Ross samen met David Kessler zien hoe we ons leven in al zijn volheid kunnen beleven. Uit hun j urenlange ervaring met stervenden komen zij tot een aantal praktische en spirituele lessen voor het leven. Van de les van de liefde tot de les van het geluk leren zij ons over angst, hoop en relaties - en over hoe wij tevreden kunnen zijn met het leven dat we leiden.
Elisabeth Kübler-Ross is psychiater en schreef een aantal in vele talen vertaalde boeken over sterven en het omgaan met de dood - waaronder De cirkel van het leven en Lessen voor levenden - die haar erkenning brachten als de meest geliefde en gerespecteerde autoriteit op dit gebied.
David Kessler is deskundige op het gebied van de laatste levensfase - en heeft honderden mensen begeleid in die periode van hun leven. Van zijn hand verscheen eerder Het recht om waardig te sterven, dat in elf talen werd vertaald.
www.elisabethkublcrross.com

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,406,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible