On Death and Dying (1969)

by Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Focuses on the patient as a human being and a teacher, able to impart knowledge about the final stages of life. Examines the attitudes of the dying and the factors that contribute to society's anxiety over death.

English (24)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (28)
One of the most important psychological studies of the late twentieth century, On Death and Dying grew out of Dr. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross's famous interdisciplinary seminar on death, life, and transition. In this remarkable book, Dr. Kübler-Ross first explored the now-famous five stages of death: denial and isolation, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Through sample interviews and conversations, she gives the reader a better understanding of how imminent death affects the patient, the professionals who serve that patient, and the patient's family, bringing hope to all who are involved.
  PSZC | Apr 23, 2020 |
five stages of death: denial and isolation, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Through sample interviews and conversations, she gives readers a better understanding of how imminent death affects the patient, the professionals who serve that patient, and the patient's family, bringing hope to all who are involved.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Mar 19, 2020 |
llth printing
  PAFM | Oct 19, 2019 |
It was hard for me to read the book— which I haven’t only now just finished: it’s just that I deleted the review that I wrote upon that occasion, as it was very critical— without being critical of how our society treats death. It obviously treats death as something to deny, to close your eyes to, as the ultimate misfortune and a cosmic mistake, the part of the life cycle that should be abolished somehow. It’s hard not to get a little annoyed at unthinking and ignorant critiques of God and Nature, at these attitudes which are mostly the same now as they were then, the book and its labors notwithstanding.

But as I’ll probably read it again eventually, I’ll try to be more patient with them then.
  smallself | Sep 29, 2018 |
I was recently at a talk given by Claire Tomalin, the biographer, who told us that the best advice her mother-in-Law had ever given her was to remember that our unconscious can’t accept that we are mortal. This is at the heart of this book and how our conscious mind has to be allowed to navigate the way when we we are dying.

This book was one of those recommended texts when I was a medical student and I’m very familiar with her “stages of grief” but I had never actually read this book before. It is dated in many ways and I struggled a bit with the gendered writing, but it still has a lot to say to us. This is especially true currently when we seem unable to say that someone has died but refer to their passing or some other way of avoiding the terms death and dying, which is hardly going to help. ( )
  awomanonabike | Mar 20, 2018 |

Elisabeth Kübler-Rossprimary authorall editionscalculated
Murray Parkes, ColinForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

To the memory of My Father and of Seppli Bucher
Epidemics have taken a great toll of lives in the past generations.

Twee experts over de omgang met de dood delen hun inzichten over het wonder van het leven.
Iedereen stelt zichzelf op een zeker moment de vraag: 'Is dit hoe ik mijn leven wil leven?' Het leven is kort, en vaak ontdekken we pas achteraf - soms te laat - wat we echt belangrijk vinden.
In Levenslessen - haar eerste boek over het leven - laat Elisabeth Kübler-Ross samen met David Kessler zien hoe we ons leven in al zijn volheid kunnen beleven. Uit hun j urenlange ervaring met stervenden komen zij tot een aantal praktische en spirituele lessen voor het leven. Van de les van de liefde tot de les van het geluk leren zij ons over angst, hoop en relaties - en over hoe wij tevreden kunnen zijn met het leven dat we leiden.
Elisabeth Kübler-Ross is psychiater en schreef een aantal in vele talen vertaalde boeken over sterven en het omgaan met de dood - waaronder De cirkel van het leven en Lessen voor levenden - die haar erkenning brachten als de meest geliefde en gerespecteerde autoriteit op dit gebied.
David Kessler is deskundige op het gebied van de laatste levensfase - en heeft honderden mensen begeleid in die periode van hun leven. Van zijn hand verscheen eerder Het recht om waardig te sterven, dat in elf talen werd vertaald.
www.elisabethkublcrross.com

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,852,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible