The Case of the Late Pig by Margery…

The Case of the Late Pig (1937)

by Margery Allingham

Series: Albert Campion (8)

The Case of the Late Pig by Margery Allingham is the 8th book in her crime series that features the dapper Albert Campion and his personal thug of a valet, Lugg. I was very happy that this outing featured Lugg in a fairly major way, as he always livens up the story.

The Pig that is mentioned in the title is an old school rival of Campion’s and the book opens with Lugg reading the obituaries to Campion of which one is for the late R. I. “Pig” Peters. Campion attends his funeral but five months later he receives a call from an old friend and mentor to help solve a murder. When he arrives and examines the body, he finds it is none other than Pig. To complicate matters others who also attended the first Pig funeral arrive in the village and all too soon, Campion finds himself matching wits with a madman that has planned more than a few murders. To make matters even more confusing, Campion is dealing with a number of romantic high-jinks as well.

Apparently this is the only book in the series that is actually narrated by Campion himself. It is quite short but there is plenty of action and Allingham delivers this mystery with a light hand and quite a bit of subtle humor. The Case of the Late Pig is a fun addition to the series. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 12, 2019 |
I think I always knew that golden age detective fiction wasn’t really my bag (the inimitable Dame Christie aside) but participating in Crimes of the Century has confirmed it. This month’s foray into 1937 introduced me to Margery Allingham’s most famous creation: Albert Campion. I now know that this story is something of an aberration in that it is told in the first-person point of view by Campion but I’m not sure a more straight-forward narrative would endear the character to me more strongly. He is, to me, (yet another) upper crust Englishman surrounded by a phalanx of servants, private school chums and cap-doffing sycophants and the whole set up makes me squirm.

In his favour Albert Campion did not irk me quite as much as Ms Sayers’ Lord Peter Wimsey (who I met last year) but that’s not actually saying a lot. I suppose I was predisposed to irritation given the first lines of the story

“The main thing to remember in autobiography, I have always thought, is not to let any damned modesty creep in to spoil the story. This adventure is mine, Albert Campion’s, and I am fairly certain that I was pretty near brilliant in it in spite of the fact that I so nearly got myself and old Lugg killed that I hear a harp quintet whenever I consider it.”

I’m not much of a one for an unfettered ego. The rest of the characters meld into a couple of stereotypes in my memory; insipid for the women, in-bred old school chum for the chaps. Not counting Lugg of course who is Campion’s … manservant I suppose…and an ex (?) criminal whose purpose was lost on me.

The story was a complicated thing to do with disguised bodies, dodgy doctors and some fairly obvious wordplay. When reading the print version I had no clue what was going on by the end because I just wasn’t interested enough to pay attention. So I had another go at it by downloading the audio book and listened while stuck in traffic. That format was more agreeable (or there was less for me to be distracted by) and at least I cottoned on to the salient points of the plot but it still seemed to be one of those golden age novels that was telling a story that no one could ever mistake for reality, not even for a moment. Or maybe there was a world in which people acted and spoke like utter gits but if so it’s not a world I’m particularly engaged by.
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 13, 2017 |
A short tale but interesting and very much in the classic crime mold. Albert is invited to an ex-school friends funeral and some months later to a murder investigation but wait a minute this one has already been buried. The investigation has duplicity, avarice, and deception. A good evenings read. ( )
  Hanneri | Aug 10, 2016 |
Fun, fairly light mid-series Campion, narrated by himself.
  bfister | Nov 14, 2015 |
Excellent entry in this series, read a long time ago. ( )
  auntieknickers | Aug 26, 2013 |

Margery Allinghamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Matthews, FrancisNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mr. Malcolm Johnson from Mr. Albert Campion
The main thing to remember in autobiography, I have always thought, is not to let any damned modesty creep in to spoil the story. This adventure is mine, Albert Campion's, and I am fairly certain that I was pretty nearly brilliant in it in spite of the fact that I so nearly got myself and old Lugg killed that I hear a harp quintet whenever I consider it.
Pig Peters was a major evil in our lives at that time. He ranked with Injustice, the Devil, and Latin Prose. When Pig Peters fed the junior study room fire with my collection of skeleton leaves I earnestly wished him dead, and I was mildly surprised to find that I still did.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038070577X, Paperback)

Kepesake was the perfect village - for murder. Albert Campion is summoned there to the funeral of Pig Peters, the sadistic school bully of his childhood. But five months after the funeral Peters' body turns up along with other corpses! Campion must solve the mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:30 -0400)

Campion was anonymously summoned to the funeral of Pig Peters, whom he remembered only as the sadistic school bully. Five months later, he was called back down to Kepesake to investigate a distasteful death. The body was that of Pig Peters!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,556,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible