A Commentary on Genesis 1-11 by Carl J.…

A Commentary on Genesis 1-11 (2004)

by Carl J. Lawrenz, John C. Jeske

10None1,321,350 (5)None

No reviews

Carl J. Lawrenzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jeske, John C.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Preface:   Martin Luther called the Old Testament "ein Christbuch," a book about Christ. He knew that although the full light of God's New Testament revelation does not shine on the pages of the Old Testament, the entire body of Christian teaching is found there. The apostle Paul, who articulated the body of Christian doctrine more clearly and more completely than any other apostle, said as much when he told King Agrippa: "I am saying nothing beyond what the prophets and Moses said would happen -- that Christ would suffer and, as the first to rise from the dead, would proclaim light to his own people and to the Gentiles" (Ac 26:22,23).
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

And God saw all that he had made, and behold it was very good.
Moses' statement here leaves no room for an evolution of the human species up from the slime of some prehistoric pond over eons of time. It was "very good" (Ge 1:31).

We are reminded that we are to proclaim God's Word. We are not asked to prove it or to justify it. We are not to enter into dialog with errorists with the thought of mutually enriching one another by such discussion.

In his final judgment on the last great day, God punishes sinners and unbelievers while, at the same time, God delivers his believers. The beating heart of Lutheran theology is this distinction, this tension, between law and gospel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,973,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible