Into the Dream by William Sleator

Into the Dream (1979)

by William Sleator

156None76,051 (3.75)2 / 13

Reason for Reading: This is from the random bookshelf that I am currently reading from for my own books and random bookshelf challenge I created for myself. William Sleator is my favourite YA horror writer.

I thought I'd read this one before but could not recall the story at all while reading it and now don't believe I have. This book is atypical of the usual Sleator book. It is written for a younger audience, not his usual teen audience. The two protagonists are twelve and the writing is simple, probably on about a Gr. 4 level. I wasn't duly impressed with the story either which was disappointing as it has been a while since I've read a Sleator and I was looking forward to this quite a bit. Keeping in mind the book is for younger children, the plot is quite simple and the story follows a normal increasing plotline with lots of forward motion and excitement. The story is one whole run towards the end. It does, however, end with Sleator's trademark that's not really the end-ending, what I like to call the Twilight Zone ending. As long as the reader is not too sensitive the youngster will have fun with the story which involves esp, UFOs, telepathy, telekinesis and men in black. No where near Sleator's best but a suitable introduction to the author for pre-teens. ( )
  ElizaJane | May 20, 2012 |
Disappointing. As usual, William Sleator's beginning isn't too strong, but the middle is better. The climax really is very good, but the solution the two protagonists come up with is just...ridiculous. It makes me upset how ridiculous it really is. It doesn't solve anything and almost makes it worse.

This is really the first Sleator book I haven't enjoyed. I'm hoping it's his only dud. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Feb 29, 2012 |
From back cover: He awoke to the sound of his own cry in the dark bedroom, the terror still with him. Paul knows it's a dream--but it's so terrifying, so real. And, what's even more frightening, francine, a girl from his class, is having the same horrible nightmare! They both know something terrible is going to happen--and time is running out! --Sleator bridges fantasy and science fiction very well, but I am usually left somewhat dissatisfied by his novels for children and young adults. It seems to me he's more interested in his own plot than in his characters and their development. ( )
  Sasha_Doll | Aug 31, 2010 |
One of my favorite bits of children's sci-fi, I'm still captivated by some of the images in this book. Sleator should also get credit for one of the best "ESP reveal!" scenes ever.
  trinityofone | Oct 25, 2006 |

When Paul learns that Francine is having the same disturbing dream that he has been having, the two join forces and discover that the source of the dream is a dog with psychic powers. She has been broadcasting her fears for her young master, Noah, who possesses superhuman mental abilities, and is wanted by the government for "testing".

Paul has a recurring nightmare, about a small boy in awful danger. When he learns that his classmate Francine has it, too, the two of them join forces to solve the mystery and save the boy--before their bad dream becomes a terrifying reality. "Tightly woven suspense and an ingenious, totally involving plotline make this a thriller of top-notch quality." --Booklist

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:42 -0400)

When two young people realize they are having the same frightening dream, they begin searching for an explanation for this mysterious coincidence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible