Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Bread Bible

by Rose Levy Beranbaum, RL Beranbaum

The Bread Bible gives bread bakers 150 of the meticulous, foolproof recipes that are Rose Levy Beranbaum's trademark. Her knowledge of the chemistry of baking, the accessibility of her recipes, and the incomparable taste of her creations make this book invaluable for home cooks and professional bakers alike. Recipes include bread made with yeast starters, quick breads, flatbreads, brioche, and much more. From ciabatta, semolina, rye, and sourdough breads to bagels, biscuits, crumpets, and pizza dough, The Bread Bible covers all the baking bases. "Understanding" and "Pointers for Success" sections explain in simple, readable language the importance of various techniques and ingredients demonstrated in a recipe, providing a complete education in the art of baking, with thorough sections on types of flour, equipment, and other essentials. Easy-to-use ingredient tables provide both volume and weight, for surefire recipes that work perfectly every time.… (more)

NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
This cookbook is a comprehensive and exhaustive work on baking bread. Beranbaum goes into great detail outlining the science behind why she wrote her recipes the way she did. While it is definitely not a book for beginning bakers, it is a great resource for an experienced bread maker. ( )
  CarolineMCarrico | Sep 14, 2014 |
If you have access to US supermarkets and don't like whole wheat, you might find this useful. I don't. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Aug 5, 2012 |
I did not read this cover to cover, but skipped around a lot and feel as though I have read the entire book. Once I get my scale in the mail I can do a better review, but I feel as if it will be easy to follow, especially once I can weigh my ingredients. Beranbaum explains the steps very well, and I especially love the minimal illustrations used to describe how to do techniques. So far it has been my favorite for the subject of bread making, but I do have many others checked out from the library. This will have to be updated in a couple months once I've use more than just one or two recipes, but so far I have been very pleased with what I have learned from her. ( )
  ErinSeeger | May 12, 2011 |
The best bread cookbook out there! I have read this cover-to-cover and made several of the recipes contained within. I have not been disappointed with anything from it. Don't let the size or price put you off, if you enjoy baking, this is an essential addition to you kitchen shelf. ( )
  rtp3 | Apr 26, 2010 |

Beranbaum, Rose Levyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beranbaum, RLmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Batterberry, MichaelForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gentl & Hyers/EdgePhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Witschonke, AlanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,312,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible