Black Ships by Jo Graham

Black Ships

by Jo Graham

525None19,133 (3.96)113
2008 (7) 2009 (8) Aeneas (16) Aeneid (22) Aenid (6) Ancient Egypt (11) Ancient Greece (23) ARC (17) Bronze Age (8) Early Reviewers (19) Egypt (16) fantasy (101) fiction (98) Greece (23) historical (27) historical fantasy (33) historical fiction (71) history (10) Jo Graham (9) mythology (25) novel (8) Numinous World (7) oracle (9) read (13) read in 2008 (9) Rome (18) to-read (34) Trojan War (9) Troy (29) unread (7)

{I listened to the audiobook version (narrated by Clare Corbett, who sounds astoundingly like Keeley Hawes, which is not at all a bad thing *g*).}

Fantastic. Pretty much everything I could ask for in a novel of the ancient Mediterranean world, especially the roles of the various deities and the ways in which they participate in the characters' lives.

*happy*

sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
This novel revisits the The Aeneid from the engaging perspective of a young girl with the gift of prophecy. Black Ships is a nicely-balanced mix of mythological elements with history and an interesting new variation on an old tale. ( )
  saturnloft | Sep 9, 2013 |
Orbit,fall07,Historical Fantasy,Historical Fiction, ( )
  lencicki | Aug 28, 2013 |
Fall-Winter-2010
  lencicki | Aug 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Took me a little while to "get into" this book. I don't particularly care for historical fiction, but received this one as an Early Reviewers copy. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. Well written. The last few chapters, however, felt rushed. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy works of fiction that have a basis in history. ( )
  re_re_98 | May 23, 2013 |

Is a retelling of

You must know that, despite all else I am, I am of the People.

"Haunting and bittersweet, lush and vivid, this extraordinary story has lived with me since I first read it." --Naomi Novik, author of His Majesty's Dragon

The world is ending. One by one the mighty cities are falling, to earthquakes, to flood, to raiders on both land and sea.

In a time of war and doubt, Gull is an oracle. Daughter of a slave taken from fallen Troy, chosen at the age of seven to be the voice of the Lady of the Dead, it is her destiny to counsel kings.

When nine black ships appear, captained by an exiled Trojan prince, Gull must decide between the life she has been destined for and the most perilous adventure -- to join the remnant of her mother's people in their desperate flight. From the doomed bastions of the City of Pirates to the temples of Byblos, from the intrigues of the Egyptian court to the haunted caves beneath Mount Vesuvius, only Gull can guide Prince Aeneas on his quest, and only she can dare the gates of the Underworld itself to lead him to his destiny.

In the last shadowed days of the Age of Bronze, one woman dreams of the world beginning anew. This is her story.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:36 -0400)

The daughter of a slave taken from fallen Troy, Gull was chosen to become the voice of the Lady of the Dead and counsel kings. But when nine black ships appear, captained by exiled Prince Aeneas, she joins him as his guide and leads him to his destiny.… (more)

Orbit Books

Two editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316068004, 0316067997

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Black Ships by Jo Graham was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible