Miss Rumphius (1982)

by Barbara Cooney

As a child Great-aunt Alice Rumphius resolved that when she grew up she would go to faraway places, live by the sea in her old age, and do something to make the world more beautiful--and she does all those things, the last being the most difficult of all.

Wonderful children's book about a woman who decides that she wants to travel the world and live by the sea, but whose grandpa says she must do one more thing - make the world a more beautiful place. So she becomes a librarian and travels the world, and lives by the sea, and ends up spreading lupine seeds through her community, thereby becoming the Lupine Lady. ( )
  phoenixcomet | May 6, 2022 |
Independent Reading Level: Grade 3
Awards: National Book Award for Children's Books & American Book Award
  Trinity_Chastain2020 | May 5, 2022 |
This is a charming story with lovely artwork. ( )
  ChelseaVK | Dec 10, 2021 |
This book is a classic for a very good reason. The story is powerful and moving and the illustrations are gorgeous. I always think of this book when I go up to Bar Harbor every summer for vacation. As a child it made me want to sow lupines everywhere. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
A cute and funny book I enjoyed reading it though it was a quick read. ( )
  J_sweeeney26 | Aug 3, 2021 |
The Lupine Lady lives in a small house overlooking the sea.
You must do something to make the world more beautiful.

Responding to And Analyzing Children’s books
Worksheet for data entry/ information will be transferred to database.
Your Name: Calleen Reis
Genre: Picture Book
Title: Miss Rumphius
Author/ Illustrator: Barbara Cooney
Awards:
Subject or Theme: Giving, caring, compassion, service to others.
Brief Summary of plot or format: Miss Rumphius is about doing one thing with your life that makes the world a more beautiful place.

What I want to remember about this book: That it is important, even in my small sphere of influence, to do just ONE thing that might make the world a more beautiful place.

Characters: Name, M/F/, age, details, ethnicity, actions
Miss Rumphius comes to America as a child and an European immigrant. She grows up and finds what her “contribution” is to the world.
Setting: Hmmm – Big city to rural setting. Probably during the Industrial Revolution times when there were lots of European immigrants to America.
Additional features or artistic details: I LOVE THE ART. The water colors of Barbara Cooney are so colorful, cheerful, warm and enveloping. If I had the money I would own a piece of Barbara Cooney’s art because it would make me feel good to look at it every day!

Professional/personal opinion or possible use in classroom or library: Naturally, I have students try to think about what will be the ONE thing they can do to make the world a more beautiful place.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,006,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible