Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney

Miss Rumphius (1982)

by Barbara Cooney

Miss Rumphius tells the story of a girl whose grandfather taught her that she must do what she can to make the world a better place in her lifetime. She sets about to do exactly that and after working as a librarian, and traveling the world, she settles down in a cottage by the sea and plants many, many flowers along roadsides and in fields. ( )
  bibliophagia | May 19, 2019 |
I want to be Miss Rumphius. ( )
  liz.mabry | May 13, 2019 |
I LOVE this book. It is one I will share with other families for many years to come. It is a wonderful story about a wonderful old woman and her desire to change the world even if it only ends up being the her little world.
  SWade0126 | Jan 11, 2019 |
I can't believe I haven't added this to my bookshelf yet - this is literally my favorite children's picture book ever. This book is the reason I want to grow up to be a librarian and eventually live by the sea.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
This is a beautiful book that carries on the message that we all can make the world a more beautiful place in unique ways. The only negative thought I had while reading this story is that I felt bad for anyone that was allergic to Lupines after Miss Rumphius' mega planting spree. ( )
  CaputoJohn | Aug 22, 2018 |
The Lupine Lady lives in a small house overlooking the sea.
You must do something to make the world more beautiful.

Responding to And Analyzing Children’s books
Worksheet for data entry/ information will be transferred to database.
Your Name: Calleen Reis
Genre: Picture Book
Title: Miss Rumphius
Author/ Illustrator: Barbara Cooney
Awards:
Subject or Theme: Giving, caring, compassion, service to others.
Brief Summary of plot or format: Miss Rumphius is about doing one thing with your life that makes the world a more beautiful place.

What I want to remember about this book: That it is important, even in my small sphere of influence, to do just ONE thing that might make the world a more beautiful place.

Characters: Name, M/F/, age, details, ethnicity, actions
Miss Rumphius comes to America as a child and an European immigrant. She grows up and finds what her “contribution” is to the world.
Setting: Hmmm – Big city to rural setting. Probably during the Industrial Revolution times when there were lots of European immigrants to America.
Additional features or artistic details: I LOVE THE ART. The water colors of Barbara Cooney are so colorful, cheerful, warm and enveloping. If I had the money I would own a piece of Barbara Cooney’s art because it would make me feel good to look at it every day!

Professional/personal opinion or possible use in classroom or library: Naturally, I have students try to think about what will be the ONE thing they can do to make the world a more beautiful place.

Seeking adventure in faraway places, Miss Rumphius fulfills her dream and then sets out to make the world more beautiful.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:04 -0400)

As a child Great-aunt Alice Rumphius resolved that when she grew up she would go to faraway places, live by the sea in her old age, and do something to make the world more beautiful--and she does all those things, the last being the most difficult of all.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,570,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible