Old Yeller (1956)

by Fred Gipson

Series: Coates Family (1)

The story of a boy and his dog in the Texas hill country of the 1860s.

I have always loved classic children's literature and have read much of it. I especially love the classics that have animals in them. This particular book is one of my favorites and I think it is equally good when you it as an adult or as a child. The characters are engaging and realistic and the story draws you in. It is also equally good as an audiobook. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
Had to read it for school, but it was a really good book!! The end was a little sad though...:( ( )
  AlizarinCrimson | Jan 7, 2021 |
This book is a great read for middle grades children. I think this book could be used in a History class, because it reveals the struggles of living on a ranch, and the struggle of a 14-year-old boy taking care of his family while his dad is away. In this book the 14-year-old boy, Travis finds a big yellow dog, Old Yeller. The dog has eaten all of the meat. Although Travis views the dog as mischievous at first, Old Yeller redeems himself after saving Travis' younger brother. This book is a classic, and is very relatable to children who have animals. ( )
  kianak98 | Nov 20, 2020 |
I read this many years ago and loved it-- the reread did not disappoint. ( )
  Stacy_Krout | Oct 2, 2020 |

Polson, StevenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, EdwinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schongut, EmanuelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, Steve M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father and mother, Beck and Emma Gipson, whose memorable tales of frontier dogs supplied me with incident and background for this story.
We called him Old Yeller. The name had a sort of double meaning. One part meant that his short hair was a dingy yellow, a color that we called "yeller" in those days. The other meant that when he opened his head, the sound he let out came closer to being a yell than a bark.
I reloaded my gun and called Old Yeller back from the house. I stuck the muzzle of the gun against his head and pulled the trigger.

The story of a boy and his dog in the Texas hill country of the 1860s.

It was lucky that old yellow-haired dog came along. Travis couldn't have managed without him. When his dad goes off on a cattle drive, 14-year-old Travis is left in charge. First a bear attacks his kid brother...then he hears about a terrifying disease that turns animals and humans into mad creatures! Before his dad returns, that 'Old Yellow' dog has become the best-loved friend a boy could ever want.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,936,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible