The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (1980)

by Douglas Adams

Series: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2)

Arthur Dent, a refugee from the late planet Earth and his pal from the planet Betelgeuse, Ford Prefect, thumb their way thru comic misadventures throughout the Universe. In this installment Dent now seeks a decent cup of tea, while Prefect is after a good gin and tonic.
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (JessamyJane)
    Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt (bmlg)
    bmlg: hapless Brit everyman is caught up in world-shaking (and world-ending) events; absurdist humour with a hint of pathos

English (153)  Polish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Slovak (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (164)
The last time I read this book was back in 2010 which was before I started writing reviews. As this is my first reread since, it's time to correct that. The Restaurant at the End of the Universe picks up right where the first book ends, with our group of misfit characters on their way to the most famous restaurant. We're dropped right into the middle of some action as our dont-want-to-be heroes are attempting to survive being attacked.

This one feels like a more cohesive story even as the plot meanders around. The asides and snippets from the Guide are hilarious. Yet again, this book is quite quotable. Some of my favorites:

"Reality is frequently inaccurate."

"To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem."

"The History of every major Galactic Civilization tends to pass through three distinct and recognizable phases, those of Survival, Inquiry and Sophistication, otherwise known as the How, Why, and Where phases. For instance, the first phase is characterized by the question 'How can we eat?' the second by the question 'Why do we eat?' and the third by the question 'Where shall we have lunch?"

Just as fun and irreverent as the first book though missing some of the newness factor. This book also has the best use of a seance I've ever read. Nothing like call up dearly departed great grandad to ask for advice in the middle of a battle! ( )
  Narilka | Jul 10, 2021 |
Entertaining, but the ridiculousness doesn't quite match the first book.

Freeman's narration and voice-work is impressive. ( )
1 vote Bodagirl | Jun 27, 2021 |
further adventures of travelers
  ritaer | Jun 4, 2021 |
Fun but the early parts don't stick in the memory like the first one. I had completely forgotten about the Frogstar scenes. I only remembered the scenes in the restaurant and the B Fleet coming to Earth. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Apr 20, 2021 |
My favourite re-reads are even better this time around, as narrated by Martin Freeman! ( )
  sdramsey | Dec 14, 2020 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schwarz, BenjaminTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
To Jane and James

with many thanks
to Geoffrey Perkins for achieving the Improbable
to Paddy Kingsland, Lisa Braun and Alick Hale Munro for helping him
to John Lloyd for his help with the original Milliways script
to Simon Brett for starting the whole thing off

to the Paul Simon album One Trick Pony which I played incessantly while writing this book. Five years is far too long

And with very special thanks to Jacqui Graham for infinite patience, kindness and food in adversity
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
[Book 2 Only] "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" is the title of the second in a series of novels (as well as the second in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

Facing annihilation at the hands of the warlike Vogons? Time for a cup of tea! Join the cosmically displaced Arthur Dent and his uncommon comrades in arms in their desperate search for a place to eat, as they hurtle across space powered by pure improbability.

Among Arthur’s motley shipmates are Ford Prefect, a longtime friend and expert contributor to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the three-armed, two-headed ex-president of the galaxy; Tricia McMillan, a fellow Earth refugee who’s gone native (her name is Trillian now); and Marvin, the moody android. Their destination? The ultimate hot spot for an evening of apocalyptic entertainment and fine dining, where the food speaks for itself (literally).

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,325,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible