Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit

The Railway Children (1906)

by Edith Nesbit

Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (jpers36)
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Both about families on a great adventure, though Chitty Chitty Bang Bang has a little more fantasy in it than The Railway Children.
    No Boats on Bannermere by Geoffrey Trease (themulhern)
    themulhern: A family leaves the city and moves to the country and make their way there, overcoming difficulties.
    The Story of the Treasure Seekers by E. Nesbit (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Both are by E. Nesbit, and both non-fantasy works.
    A Different Kind of Courage by Ellen Howard (bookel)
    Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome (bookworm12)
    A Ride with Huey the Engineer by Jesse Stuart (infiniteletters)
    The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (themulhern)
    themulhern: C. S. Lewis asserted that Nesbit was one of his influences for the Narnia books. In this book, the predicament is a very ill mother, rather than an incarcerated father.

English (60)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
This classic children's novel from 1905 is a delight to read, and gently humourous in many places as our heroes, Peter, Phyllis (Phil for short) and Roberta (Bobbie for short) get up to all kinds of adventures in and around the railway, preventing train crashes, putting out fires, rescuing people from dark and dank tunnels and, slightly incongruously, meeting a Russian dissident. There are some nice illustrations in this edition also. I've never seen any of the TV and film adaptations of this, but I intend to seek them out. ( )
  john257hopper | Jan 28, 2019 |
In the great tradition of British children’s literature, Nesbit’s name is always mentioned with reverence. This is my first book of her’s but I can’t wait to recommend her to my nieces and nephews. The story, published in 1906, is about an English family whose father is accused of espionage and imprisoned. His role is rarely mentioned (think of the father in Little Women) and is more notable in his absence than presence.

The children walk to the railway station almost every day and make friends with the regular travelers. They also help an ailing Russian man who is looking for his family. Their mother is strong and supportive, shielding her kids from knowing about their struggles.

BOTTOM LINE: The sweet story is a perfect one to read aloud with young kids. The adventures are very episodic and would work well being spread out over the course of a week or two. It reminded me of Swallows and Amazons, another good British children’s book. ( )
  bookworm12 | Dec 27, 2018 |
A book I've been meaning to read for a very long time. These days the language of the book is a little dated but I can see how, in 1906 when it was first published, it would have become very popular with the targeted audience. A lovely tale of three children learning to deal with what life throws at them, at times overly sentimental but that could just be me, reading a children's book in 2016, that is over 100 years old. ( )
  Fliss88 | Jul 29, 2018 |
I really did not enjoy this book at all. I read it to my 6-year-old. She liked it, so it wasn't a total loss, but I really came to dread reading it every other night. I had to edit this book quite a bit as I read it, for several reasons. 1. Written over a hundred years ago, some of the language and themes were obscure. 2. Some of the themes were a little too serious for my 6-year-old. For instance, when the train was in danger of hitting the landslide, every time they said everyone on the train would be killed, I used "hurt" instead of "killed". I also skipped over a very politically incorrect conversation about Russians. 3. The Three Chimneys children and their mother spoke very well, but some of the train station people and townspeople spoke so horribly that I could barely make out what they were trying to say. I surely couldn't read it aloud the way it was written, so there was a lot of on-the-fly editing going on there. It was not an enjoyable read for me. I got several other E. Nesbit free on Kindle, but I won't be reading any of them anytime soon. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |

Wilson, JacquelineIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To my dear Son
PAUL BLAND
behind whose knowledge of railways
my ignorance confidently shelters
They were not the railway children to begin with.

When Father goes away with two strangers one evening, the lives of Roberta, Peter and Phyllis are shattered. They and Mother have to move from their comfortable London home to go and live in a simple country cottage, where Mother writes books to make ends meet. However, they soon come to love the railway that runs near their cottage, and they make a habit of waving every day to the Old Gentleman who rides on it. They befriend the porter Perks, and through him learn railway lore and much else. They have many adventures and when they save a train from disaster, they are helped by the Old Gentleman to solve the mystery of Father's disappearance, and the family is happily reunited.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

When Father has to go away for a time, the three children and their mother leave their London house and go to live in a small house in the country. They seek solace in the nearby railway station, making friends with Perks the porter and with the station master himself. But the mystery remains: where is their father and is he ever going to return?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:36 -0400)

When their father is taken away, three children move to the country, where they stay busy saving the train from accidents, befriending a nice Old Gentleman, and trying not to quarrel.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321601, 0141808438

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101891, 1400108829

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible