The Twenty-One Balloons (1947)

by William Pène du Bois

4,170582,305 (4.01)1 / 91
Relates the incredible adventures of Professor William Waterman Sherman who in 1883 sets off in a balloon across the Pacific, survives the volcanic eruption of Krakatoa, and is eventually picked up in the Atlantic.

Enjoyable children's adventure tale about a man discovering a secret society. A bit like 'The Beach' or 'The Village' but without the darkness.
The story starts off quite similar to the movie 'Up!'. A 66 year old man decides to spend a year ballooning to get away from things. He's a retired schoolteacher and therefore really dislikes children. Since he is going to be up there for so long he designs the basket of the balloon to resemble a small house complete with balustrade all around like a porch.
Its funny and interesting, however it loses some suspense since it's told in flashback so you already know the ending. ( )
  wreade1872 | Nov 28, 2021 |
My!, how Newberry Winners have changed. I feel like the more modern ones are more for adults than children. This book was very much aimed at children and very fantastical. Not my favorite but much better than the "stories about children for adults" that win these days. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Charming and quaint. Lucinda's uncle reading plays to her reminded me of all the bowdlerized versions of Shakespeare intended for young kids. I see there is a second book about Lucinda, Jubilo. I'll have to try Interlibrary Loan. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
This book is so creative and vibrant that I have read it again as an adult. The details paint a picture so vivid that I had trouble not believing in it. ( )
  ednasilrak | Jun 17, 2021 |
A somewhat interesting but ultimately boring account of a professor who sets off to circumnavigate the world in a balloon but winds up on a tropical island inhabited by people who have created their own society. The premise was good, but the story dragged along, as each wonderful invention was thoroughly and exhaustingly described. ( )
  fuzzi | Jan 24, 2021 |

William Pène du Boisprimary authorall editionscalculated
McDonough, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weinman, BradCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife with love
There are two kinds of travel.
The ISBN 0140303588 belongs to Ruth Sawyer's Roller Skates, not The Twenty-One Balloons.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,458,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible