A Farewell to Arms (1929)

by Ernest Hemingway

An unforgettable story of an American ambulance driver on the Italian front and his love for an English nurse.
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (PilgrimJess)
    PilgrimJess: This account comes from a character whom actually fought and so the events first hand.
    Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Céline (arthurfrayn)
    A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin (AmourFou)
    AmourFou: WWI Italian Front. Also great literature.
    The Fifth Column and Four Stories of The Spanish Civil War by Ernest Hemingway (kxlly)
1920s (27)

English (196)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (217)
Was the storyline not so compelling this review would be at best “So-So“. Had the author's name not been on the cover I would have thought this written by a fourth grader. I even found myself at times reading it in that elementary cadence. That being said, I did enjoy the theme very much. ( )
  282Mikado | Apr 13, 2022 |
"And you'll always love me won't you?
And the rain won't make any difference?
  roseandisabella | Mar 18, 2022 |
Excellent, clear and concise story about war and love. ( )
  AngelaLam | Feb 8, 2022 |
Enjoyed parts, other parts not so much. ( )
  Carole46 | Nov 16, 2021 |
I don't remember reading any Hemingway in High School or College, and so this is probably the first time I've read any of his books. I've been meaning to for quite some time now - mostly just to see what all the hype is about. Stephen King's book UR mentions this book as the book that Hemingway always writes no matter what alternate universe/timeline occurs. So to me that was an indication that this would be an outstanding book.
However... this really felt like two books - a war story and a romance. The war story was interesting in that it painted a pretty bleak picture of what WWI must have been like. I thought that this book was supposed to be (at least the war part) semi-autobiographical, which would have been horrifying. However, according to Wikipedia, it's not - so even that part seems a little less impressive now.
The romance half of the story - DREADFUL! Catherine Barkley was so annoying with the constant questions and insecurity. It was like reading about a tween schoolyard love affair. I hated everything about the Catherine story.
I think that in a few weeks I'll try another Hemingway novel, but if I feel like I'm back in school reading an assignment then I'm going to have to give up on him. Life is too short to read boring and infuriating books. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
In its sustained, inexorable movement, its throbbing preoccupation with flesh and blood and nerves rather than the fanciful fabrics of intellect, it fulfills the prophecies that his most excited admirers have made about Ernest Hemingway... in its depiction of War, the novel bears comparison with its best predecessors. But it is in the hero's perhaps unethical quitting of the battle line to be with the woman whom he has gotten with child that it achieves its greatest significance.
added by jjlong | editTime (Oct 14, 1929)

It is a moving and beautiful book.

Hemingway, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Warren, Robert PennIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

To G. A. Pfeiffer
In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains.
There is a class that controls a country that is stupid and does not realize anything and never can. That is why we have this war.
Also they make money out of it.

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,290,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible