dismiss

44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith

44 Scotland Street

by Alexander McCall Smith

Series: 44 Scotland Street (1)

When Pat rents a room in Edinburgh, she acquires some interesting neighbors--including a pushy Stockbridge mother and her talented, sax-playing, five-year-old son. Her job at an art gallery hardly keeps her busy until she suspects one painting in the collection may be an undiscovered work by a Scottish master.… (more)
    Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin (cransell, Jannes)
    Jannes: Tales of the City was the main inspiration for McCall Smith when he decided to write Scotland Street. The two books have a lot in common, including the episodic format, the light-hearted tone, and the premise of a house and it's tenants.
    Notwithstanding by Louis De Bernières (jayne_charles)
    The Imperfectionists: A Novel by Tom Rachman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These character-driven novels use vignettes and ensemble casts to explore multiple plots and the relationships between characters. 44 Scotland Street is both comical and upbeat, while The Imperfectionists is more nuanced, complex, and thoughtful.… (more)

English (105)  French (1)  All languages (106)
This is a light, entertaining story about a narcissist, a conflicted flatmate, and a serially unsuccessful gallery owner. There is no great plot here, but the characters are interesting. What I enjoyed most was Googling the artists, poets, and writers I was not familiar with. This is the first book in a series, and it left enough unsaid to make me want to read the next book. Especially, I need to find out about Cyril, the dog with the gold tooth. ( )
1 vote TooBusyReading | Nov 24, 2019 |
I've read all of Alexander McCall Smith's #1 Ladies Detective Agency books, but have never ventured into his novels set in Scotland, so when I was offered an audio book of the first of his Scotland Street series, I jumped at it. And I was not disappointed.

The interconnected stories of the inhabitants of a block of flats in Edinburgh is charming and heartwarming and, at times laugh out loud funny. I especially like the precocious little boy, Bertie, and his insufferable and predictable liberal parents.

I'll certainly be dipping into the other novels in this series. They are perfect for chilly winter days with a nice hot cup of tea. ( )
1 vote etxgardener | Nov 20, 2019 |
If I didn't know who wrote this book I would never guess it is the same author of the The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. In general, the series are very different, worlds apart. But... in The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency the reader cannot help but see that kindness, respect, thoughtfulness and love are emphasized and given full rein over and over.

In 44 Scotland Street Smith describes in great detail many, many very different characters, and their feelings, thoughts, hopes, expectations, and relationships while living mostly mundane lives.This insightful book is intensely wistful, hugely funny, and hysterical. But it too like its predecessor series, perhaps less obviously, allows a few of of the main characters to display and advance socially good values of common sense, kindness, courtesy, friendliness, sympathy, helpfulness and more.

Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
1 vote Bookish59 | Nov 2, 2019 |
Just an absolute joy to read. Plotless, albeit full of stories of the mundane, yet fascinating lives of Edinburgh’s people. I can’t wait to keep reading this series. ( )
1 vote tuf25995 | Aug 25, 2019 |
entirely un-philosophical...yet completely charming, funny, and more than a little satirical. The short, yet complete, chapters make the book well-paced, making this the perfect book for a rainy Saturday or ride on the train. ( )
1 vote inescapableabby | Nov 28, 2018 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kern, ÉlisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McIntosh, IainIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Lucinda Mackay
Pat stood before the door at the bottom of the stairs, reading the names underneath the buttons.

After her first gap year ends in disaster, Pat decides to start afresh. She finds employment at a local art gallery, and moves into a flat at 44 Scotland Street – an intriguing building full of intriguing people. There's Domenica Macdonald, the slightly eccentric anthropologist across the hall. There's Irene Pollock, whose five-year-old son Bertie is a victim of her fascination with psychoanalysis. Then there's Bruce, Pat's roommate – an intolerable, self-absorbed, arrogant narcissist who Pat most certainly does not have feelings for. Well . . . not really.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,267,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible